Generate AC Power at home ?

Roc

Generate AC Power at home ?
« on: 15 Oct 2013, 05:39 pm »
I have a wild idea to run past you electrical engineers, since i'm only an M.E. myself.

How much sense would it make to generate AC power inside my house, to run my stereo system?
The system would involve a 5hp AC motor, coupled to a 30 amp alternator, along with a flywheel.
Keeping this in the garage (as it might be a bit noisy), and running a dedicated heavy cable to the stereo for distribution.

I'm thinking about what our power conditioners and power regenerators are trying to do for us, and i own both.
In theory this "mechanical" system could generate a perfect sine wave, at constant voltage, with low noise.

Where has my thinking gone wrong ?  or not ?

Dave

mikeeastman

Re: Generate AC Power at home ?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2013, 12:12 am »
I'm not an EE, but I designed and installed solar system for 18 years and worked with generators. First if by alternator you mean a car alternator they put out D/C . Most A/C generator don't put out that clean of power so you would have to condition it. I heard of some audio guys using a battery with a sine wave inverter to run their systems. I believe they are using Pro-Sine brand inverters which don't actually produce a pure sine wave but if it is as clean as the power of my inverter than its much cleaner than the grid ( I live off the grid and run all my A/C gear off of inverter power. If you have any other questions PM me.

Mike