Just got my 'box, now what?

bubba966

« on: 21 Jan 2003, 05:03 am »
Just picked up a 'box w/the 2 games & Controller S. Also picked up another Controller S & the HD pack so I could run it on Component Video and Dolby Digital.

I've got a copy of MechAssault on the way. And plan on getting Halo at a later point.

So what else is any good? I really don't care much for sports games, so those are pretty much out. I do appreciate a good racing game (not a racing simulator such as GT). Also fond of a good RPG.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2003, 02:59 pm »
What's next is to get a friend over to be blown away! You will both agree gaming in a HT environment is going to be a HUGE phenomenon. You can play HALO in cooperative mode!

I play only 2 games on the box right now - HALO and MechAssault. They seem to have the biggest following out there. I have also played BloodWake - it is a fairly easy game that is good for 2 newbies playing each other. I think it is $29 now.

HALO is so popular I think because it has inherited all the best features of games from Wolfenstein all the way to Half Life. And the graphics and sound are superb.

Mechassault has a huge following online with XBox Live. It is not as technical as the PC version, but is probably better suited to online play.

I would get HALO first especially without the Live. To me it really takes advantage of all the features of the XBox, except for XBox Live. (you can play online through other services now without waiting for HALO2) Either way you will want to play for a while before you feel comfortable competing with others.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2003, 07:04 pm »
You might want to try Morrowind.  In many ways it's about the greatest RPG ever made.  Absolutely 100% open ended; there are missions & quests, but you don't have to accept any of them, and if you do you can play em in any order.  Lots of character classes, and each game you play will be different; your actions shape your character & the way the game developes.  One warning; the combat system will seem very clunky at first-this isn't so much a flaw of the game as the fact that your character will start out a real sissy.  As he/she gets stronger, the combat system 'evolves' along with you.

Obviously, HALO & MechAssault are no brainers; they're the best ones out there.  You simply must have them.

"Hit Man 2" isn't too bad, either.  I didn't care for the controls, a little too touchy for me, but they're adjustable.  Nice graphics and a cool story.  This is sorta a second-tier game, but if you get a good deal (maybe used) it's worth a look.

Ditto for "Timesplitters 2".  VERY cool game, but you can't save anywhere but at the end of a level.  That sucks a lot of the fun out, but still a cool game.

BloodWake looks cool & has some shoot-em-up value, but it's a bit simplistic and repetitive.  Buy only if you get it REALLY cheap.

"Medal of Honor" is a tour de force for the 'Box.  It has it all, great graphics, phenomenal Dolby Digital sound (the Omaha Beach stage is right out of Saving Private Ryan-Spielberg is credited w/game design), fair voice acting and a well designed levels/scenes.

The first "Night Caster" game should be avoided like AIDS.  No redeeming values at all.

LordCloud

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2003, 08:20 pm »
Your first sin was not making the ultimate gaming experience known as Halo your first purchase.  But all wil be forgiven if you run out today and purchase Splinter Cell. It is as close to a perfect game as Halo, you cannot go wrong with these two games in your clutches.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2003, 02:56 am »
LC, is the control axis reversible on Splinter Cell like it is in HALO?  I'm really curious about that.  I tried the demo of SC in the X'Box mag, but the demo wouldn't let me reverse the controls.  I find the "regular" control axis impossible to use as I'm very used to "doing it backwards."

gonefishin

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2003, 04:36 am »
RobB...you can invert the control in splinter cell.  The demo got me worried too...after playing Halo with an inverted controller...I just can't seem to control the guy without the controller inverted...I walk around looking at the clouds...then the floor...BAM>>>BAM>>>BAM!  game over :(

splinter cell really is a neat game...although it does take some time to get used to the game...what exactly they're looking for...but once you do...it gets pretty darn good!

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2003, 07:22 am »
Rob,

Appreciate the advice on a few games to look at. I'd only heard of Medal of Honor out of the few you'd mentioned. So I'll have to lok at the others on my next trip to EB.

Quote from: LordCloud
Your first sin was not making the ultimate gaming experience known as Halo your first purchase.  But all wil be forgiven if you run out today and purchase Splinter Cell. It is as close to a perfect game as Halo, you cannot go wrong with these two games in your clutches.

You'll have to excuse my sinning on not purchasing Halo at the moment. Having been unemployed for the last two months has absolutely killed my toy budget. Which is why I traded 24 DVD's for a new 'box w/controller S, GT 2002, JSRF, MechAssault, and the HD pack. I don't think 24 DVD's was too much to trade for all of that, especially as it's all new.

I figured I could borrow Halo until I've got the $20 to buy it. And I did borrow it a couple days ago. Certainly lots of fun running it in Dolby Digital Surround EX & cranking it. :mrgreen:  I even tried running it at reference level this morning. :o It was a little much. :oops: From what Rob's mentioned of MechAssault I can't wait to get it. I'll see if I can break anything else in the house if the LFE is as intense as he's mentioned.

Oh, one more thing Rob. Why don't you pick up Splinter Cell at EB? I don't think they've changed their return policy. It was anything for any reason within 7 (mighta been 10) days. I actually used to know someone that'd do that all of the time. It was how he "rented" games.