Man, Clayton, those are beautiful.

ttan98

Re: SPATIAL X2 modular - RMAF Unveiling
« Reply #63 on: 23 Oct 2017, 03:31 am »
Hey Guys,

The X2 product page is up.

www.spatialaudio.us

Clayton
The spec does not show the x-over frequency between AMT tweeter and the woofer? Is the xover passive  or active or either one?

JackD

« Reply #64 on: 23 Oct 2017, 04:58 am »
From the product description on the website.

" The X2 is an all passive design with the circuitry built into the chassis. The best electrical components are used, such as Clarity Caps, Duelund wiring and WBT Nextgen terminals. "

RolandButcher

« Reply #65 on: 23 Oct 2017, 12:41 pm »
Hey Guys,

The X2 product page is up.

www.spatialaudio.us

Clayton

Could you explain the reasoning behind using a modular system for the X2? Is the idea to eventually provide different tweeter options at different price points?

titaniumheads

« Reply #66 on: 23 Oct 2017, 01:36 pm »
What is the crossover point of the X2?

Spatial Audio

« Reply #67 on: 23 Oct 2017, 03:32 pm »
Could you explain the reasoning behind using a modular system for the X2? Is the idea to eventually provide different tweeter options at different price points?

The modular approach would indeed allow us to offer a different mid/tweeter design at a later date, but that is unlikely due to how good the AMT is.

However, it does allow us to offer multi-woofer arrays, such as additional woofer on top.

The reasons for modular design are primarily:
1) Vibration isolation
2) Ease of shipment and unpacking/setup
3) Allows us to sell the bottom section as a stand alone dipole subwoofer

Clayton

Spatial Audio

« Reply #68 on: 23 Oct 2017, 03:32 pm »
What is the crossover point of the X2?

800Hz

RolandButcher

« Reply #69 on: 24 Oct 2017, 02:06 am »
The modular approach would indeed allow us to offer a different mid/tweeter design at a later date, but that is unlikely due to how good the AMT is.

However, it does allow us to offer multi-woofer arrays, such as additional woofer on top.

The reasons for modular design are primarily:
1) Vibration isolation
2) Ease of shipment and unpacking/setup
3) Allows us to sell the bottom section as a stand alone dipole subwoofer

Clayton

Very interesting, thanks!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #70 on: 26 Oct 2017, 10:38 pm »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 12:46 am by SlushPuppy »

Spatial Audio

« Reply #71 on: 27 Oct 2017, 03:56 am »
Hi Clayton,

Could you post a detailed picture of how the top module connects to the bottom? Are you supplying the jumper? Finally, do you recommend spades or bananas on these binding posts? Looking to place an order by early November and am trying to figure out what else I need to buy.

Thanks,

Dave Fiano

Hi Dave,

This pic that you have probably already seen is the best. The cones rest in the Stainless Steel Allen socket head very precisely, so alignment is perfect and they can't slide off. So the top module is resting on the bottom. The top module weighs about 50 pounds, so it won't move. The two modules are very stable and weight centered.

I prefer bananas if they are the hollow Z banana or WBT or similar quality. If not, a good spade would be preferred. The WBT terminals on the X2 will accept either just fine. A jumper cable made from the Duelund 12G wire comes with the speaker.

I look forward to working with you and appreciate your interest.

Clayton
www.spatialaudio.us

tme110

« Reply #72 on: 27 Oct 2017, 12:34 pm »
The X1 may be the better sounding speaker, but in its final version it wound up pretty plain looking.  I can see people buying the X2 just for the looks alone.  That is a very cool looking speaker!  And with the great reviews so far it's a win-win.

The backwards leaning aspect - is that industrial design or acoustic? Is there a reason why some speakers lean back?  I think I remember from another post somewhere it was for timing but wouldn't there have to be a set distance from the speaker to listener for that to be the case?

Spatial Audio

« Reply #73 on: 27 Oct 2017, 02:44 pm »
The X1 may be the better sounding speaker, but in its final version it wound up pretty plain looking.  I can see people buying the X2 just for the looks alone.  That is a very cool looking speaker!  And with the great reviews so far it's a win-win.

The backwards leaning aspect - is that industrial design or acoustic? Is there a reason why some speakers lean back?  I think I remember from another post somewhere it was for timing but wouldn't there have to be a set distance from the speaker to listener for that to be the case?

The tilt back is all for acoustic reasons. That fact that it looks cool is an extra benefit.
Clayton

roscoe65

« Reply #74 on: 27 Oct 2017, 02:48 pm »
The tilt back is all for acoustic reasons. That fact that it looks cool is an extra benefit.
Clayton

I can totally see that.  It both aligns HF output with the listener's ears and offers boundary reinforcement for bass.  The Quad ESL, Wharfedale SFB/3, and JE Labs Open Baffle all share similar positioning arrangements.

beowulf

« Reply #75 on: 27 Oct 2017, 08:02 pm »
I see in the specs that it is 94db with the word "Woofer" next to that.

Does that mean those are only the woofer's specs? What are the specs of the AMT driver or does 94db include the total of both drivers? What is the minimum wattage amp you would recommend and would you suggest bi-amping the AMT and Woofers?

Thanks

Spatial Audio

« Reply #76 on: 29 Oct 2017, 02:52 am »
I see in the specs that it is 94db with the word "Woofer" next to that.

Does that mean those are only the woofer's specs? What are the specs of the AMT driver or does 94db include the total of both drivers? What is the minimum wattage amp you would recommend and would you suggest bi-amping the AMT and Woofers?

Thanks

The overall sensitivity as a complete passive speaker is 94dB. The raw sensitivity of the AMT is 101dB. It was designed to be passive, so I do not have any recommendations for bi-amping.

Clayton
www.spatialaudio.us

hnmng

« Reply #77 on: 30 Oct 2017, 07:07 pm »
I am confused about the recent Spatial announcements:  X2: Have they changed their mind about the compression driver with the intro of the AMT and what is the impact of losing one of the two 15" drivers in the M3 and how is the smoothness of the crossover affected?

SlushPuppy

« Reply #78 on: 1 Nov 2017, 11:24 pm »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 12:46 am by SlushPuppy »

JackD

« Reply #79 on: 1 Nov 2017, 11:54 pm »
Dave

From looking at the show photos it looks like the main speaker cables to the bottom module were bananas and the jumpers on that end were spades.