Class D versus the rest

barrows

• Industry Participant
Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #360 on: 13 Oct 2014, 04:29 am »
Hmm, good ideas. Thanks, guys. How did you handle the connectors?

For the input wiring I got some of the same Molex connectors as the OE wiring uses (from Mouser), and I used gold plated inserts.  I was able to hand terminate to these very carefully, first crimping with very fine needle nose pliers, and then following up with solder to make the joint gas free.  The Molex connectors are actually pretty good with copper contacts with gold flash.
For the speaker wiring I removed the stock fittings from the boards, as they are brass, and soldered my speaker wiring direct into the board, I did the same with the AC input wiring.  15.5 Cardas Litz for the AC, 11.5 Cardas Litz for speaker output.

BTW, just spent about 3.5 hours listening to Channel Classics DSD recordings using the Ncore amp, certainly sounds sweet, with excellent tonality on all orchestral instruments, no fatigue, no annoying sounds, just very clear, sweet, detailed, dynamic and spacious sound.

edit, system context: Custom LiFePO4 battery powered Sonore server (linux)-USB-DIY Buffalo DAC-DIY Ncore stereo amp-Focus Audio FS-888 Signature speakers, DIY parallel power conditioner, Nordost Frey analog cables (balanced), Nordost Blue Heaven USB cable, DIY AC cabling.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2014, 02:57 pm by barrows »

srb

« Reply #361 on: 13 Oct 2014, 04:49 am »
class-d is relatively new type of amplifier,it hasnt been tested in the marketplace,many are eager to try them in high power,will see how they go in the future?

I guess it depends on the term "relatively", but it surely has been tested in the marketplace.  B&O has been manufacturing and selling ICEpower amplifiers for 13 years and Hypex has been manufacturing and selling UcD amplifiers for 11 years.

Both are on their 3rd or 4th generation circuits and both have sold 1000W amplifiers for a number of years.  There has been broad acceptance in the pro and portable consumer markets, and refinement has been steadily progressing and gaining greater acceptance in the audiophile market.  And there's no reason to believe it won't progress further in this energy-dependent world.

Steve

dreamtheatervn

« Reply #362 on: 13 Oct 2014, 07:54 am »
Hi Everybody,
Thanks for sharing.
We all know there's no perfect amps for all kind of music & favor. Fan of rock n' roll/heavymetal will ask for dynamic, 3D,... while sweet tonality,... are needed for vocal/country.
If you guys don't mind pls also sharing info about your system (spkers, sources), music you are listening to as well.

Thanks again.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #363 on: 15 Oct 2014, 03:31 pm »
I just won a Crown XLS 1500 on ebay for $262... should be interesting to try out!  :green:

OzarkTom

« Reply #364 on: 16 Oct 2014, 01:37 am »
I just won a Crown XLS 1500 on ebay for $262... should be interesting to try out!  :green:

My 2000 won't be here til Monday, you might get your 1500 first.  :roll:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #365 on: 16 Oct 2014, 03:26 am »
My 2000 won't be here til Monday, you might get your 1500 first.  :roll:

Looks like mine will be here Monday too.  :)   

I also just got the moongel pads, since they are thin I'm thinking of trying them under a block of wood that the component is sitting on. The 30 durometer Sorbothane is definitely a little dark sounding but very quiet too. If I can keep that quiet background with a bit more of a vibrant sound that would be great...

jk@home

« Reply #366 on: 16 Oct 2014, 10:12 am »
I received a Crown XLS 1500 yesterday from GC, will be hooking it up today. I will be interested if the DSP processing adds any negatives to the sound quality, I've read that using the Stereo Bypass mode is best. But employing the high pass for my speakers would be nice, if it didn't muck up the transparency.

A fellow on another forum actually switches the high pass on or off, depending on if he is listening to high volume rock, or something like jazz. He has the 2000 model. So evidently he feels there is a gain to have it bypassed.

jk@home

« Reply #367 on: 16 Oct 2014, 12:02 pm »
Tiny amp, on top of the one it may replace. Unlike most other pro equipment I've bought, this thing comes with a fairly short power cord (36"). If one wants to use bananas on it, the little plugs in the binding posts need to be removed. I used a long, sharp pointed wood screw for that.

rodge827

« Reply #368 on: 16 Oct 2014, 12:21 pm »
jk@home, DaveC113, and OzarkTom,

When posting your listening impressions could you also include your associated gear?

Thanks,

Chris 

jk@home

« Reply #369 on: 16 Oct 2014, 01:20 pm »
Squeezebox Classic > CI VDA-2 > diy Dodds preamp/tube buffer > Crown (or Aragon) amp > KEF LS50s (supplemented with passive subs driven by DBX x-over to Yamaha P3500S pro amps.

guest61169

« Reply #370 on: 16 Oct 2014, 03:14 pm »
I use XLS 2500.  Balanced inputs from Benchmark DAC-1 and speakon outputs to JBL PRX412M speakers.  Full range, no DSP so can't comment on whether the DSP would affect the transparency.  I have the gain controls on the Crown set at about 2:00 rather than wide-open, so I can get maximum adjustable range and best channel-to-channel tracking from my DAC-1's volume control.   Underneath the amp I use Sims Navcom Silencers.

Previously used the amp with Magnepan 1.7s and before that Klipsch Forte II.   After having bought it and used it,  sold some of my other amps such as Bryston 3B-ST, Yamaha P5000s and Audio Refinement Multi-2.   I like something that runs cool that I can keep on 24/7 and I found it a good match with my other speakers, past/present/future.

steve f

« Reply #371 on: 16 Oct 2014, 03:27 pm »
I stumbled upon this thread. The Crown drivecore amps are interesting. Please post listening impressions. I am considering buying two and using the built in crossovers.

Freo-1

« Reply #372 on: 16 Oct 2014, 09:23 pm »
I conducted extensive listening tests with a high end Class D power amp (Yamaha MX-D1), which is as good or better sounding than any Class D amp made to date (and I have heard most of the upper end Class D offerings out there).  I compared it to my reference SS Amp (Electrocompaniet AW2-120), and a custom 110 watt tube amp with 12SN7 input/1625 output.  All listening was conducted with ATC-SCM19 speakers, and a SVS SB13 Ultra subwoofer.  The speakers are among the very best in a moderate sized room regardless of price, largely to the 9kg mid drivers.  All inputs were a Oppo BD-95 tube modwright, a Wavelength Audio COSINE DAC, and a Electrocomapniet ECC-1 CD player.  Music was classical SACD, SACD/CD Jazz, and SACD/CD/Blu Ray Rock.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/atc-scm19-hi-fi-98230/review

The take-away is that all three amps sounded excellent, with different strengths and challenges.  The Class D amp did play a bit louder than the other two amps.  It was also clean with good dynamics.  Compared to the other two amps, the Class D was more 2D, had slightly less low level detail, and lacked a bit of bass slam (but it was very clean). The tube setup sounded more like live music (as only tubes can with the presence region), and the Electrocompaniet had incredible low level detail, with a wide and deep soundstage that presents a reproduction with real depth.   

So, as always, it "Horses for Courses"

jk@home

« Reply #373 on: 16 Oct 2014, 11:58 pm »
...the Class D was more 2D, had slightly less low level detail, and lacked a bit of bass slam (but it was very clean). ..

Did a little bit of listening today, one thing that is jumping out so far to me on the Crown is that soundstage does seem more 2d than the Aragon. Not in a big way, mainly the farthest edges of the soundstage.  And this is in a treated dedicated room. But some stuff sounds great, definitely very clean and detailed sounding.

The Crown is probably the best sounding budget pro amp I have in the house (also have Mackies and Yamaha P series.) With the right speaker they may be fine (thinking dipoles, like Maggies). Not sure "as is" with the KEFs though. Need more time to fiddle with it. Since it is a sat/sub system, bass is not an issue.

Actually the low level playback with this amp is better than the Aragon. This is a biggie for me, as I do alot of late night listening.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2014, 01:04 am by jk@home »

Folsom

« Reply #374 on: 17 Oct 2014, 12:07 am »
It's probably been mentioned.... TPA3116, it's impressive not at the price range, but altogether in class D.

Bel Canto's monoblocks don't deliver any kind of texture and timbre like the 3116.

AND, no, it doesn't perform well on cheap power supplies or without quality parts.

rascal

« Reply #375 on: 17 Oct 2014, 07:26 am »

jk@home did you do a careful level match? Tiny bit of change makes a perceptible difference.

I am getting my 2000 on Tues  :P

jk@home

« Reply #376 on: 17 Oct 2014, 10:53 am »
jk@home did you do a careful level match? Tiny bit of change makes a perceptible difference.

I am getting my 2000 on Tues  :P

So far I have tried setting the Crown's level controllers on the 3 o'clock and full open positions. The voltage needed for full output rating on the Crown is actually slightly less than the Aragon. Hiss at both settings is very low,  not audible 6"+ from the KEFs drivers, which have an 85dB sensitivity . The full output level sets the preamp's control where I want them, (and close to where they were with the other amp), 9 to 2 o'clock, depending on the source. But I can experiment with that some more.

Also the fan...I noticed it would come on and off right away, depending on the signal. BUT, this isn't like the loud fans that are in most other pro amps. You actually have to place your ear up to the fan opening to hear (and feel) it.  A non issue. :thumb:

For the money, this is a great sounding amp. The 2d vs 3d thing on my part may be a tonal issue, the KEFS have a frequency curve that doesn't play well with amps that have flat frequency responses (mainly showing up in the upper mid-range/lower treble region).

So I have more work to do, with cables, EQ and such, to see if it can be ironed out. This was suppose to be a temporarily upgrade till the funds were available for a more expensive amp, would like to see it through. Leaving town today, so will have to wait till next week.

jk@home

« Reply #377 on: 17 Oct 2014, 11:12 am »
I use XLS 2500.  Balanced inputs from Benchmark DAC-1 and speakon outputs to JBL PRX412M speakers.

I ordered a pair of Neutrik NL4FC 4 pole speakon connectors from PE to try on this amp. Neat connector, my Dodds unit uses the power version for the 12 volt feed. I'm using Canare 4S11 speaker cable, so hoping there is a way to use all four conductors to the amp.

Right now using Audioquest spade to banana adapters on spade connectors, and it is tight, had to insert rubber gasket pieces between the banana/adapters to make sure nothing shorted out.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #378 on: 17 Oct 2014, 04:23 pm »
Did a little bit of listening today, one thing that is jumping out so far to me on the Crown is that soundstage does seem more 2d than the Aragon. Not in a big way, mainly the farthest edges of the soundstage.  And this is in a treated dedicated room. But some stuff sounds great, definitely very clean and detailed sounding.

The Crown is probably the best sounding budget pro amp I have in the house (also have Mackies and Yamaha P series.) With the right speaker they may be fine (thinking dipoles, like Maggies). Not sure "as is" with the KEFs though. Need more time to fiddle with it. Since it is a sat/sub system, bass is not an issue.

Actually the low level playback with this amp is better than the Aragon. This is a biggie for me, as I do alot of late night listening.

Thanks, the 2D presentation may be a result of reduction in fine detail, this happens when the spatial cues get smoothed out by something. So there may be less hall echoes and reverb trails... or maybe it's different in other ways?

One purpose I bought it for is to make the low-end of a 2-way speaker active with it's built-in crossover, which will be set at around 150 Hz if the high end rolls off naturally or possibly 800 Hz with a simple first order crossover on the highs...  this is assuming I ever get the woofers I ordered from Audio Elegance 2.5 months ago...  :duh:

Oh yeah, my payment for the 1500 went to "Lone Wolf Audio". Hmmm....

wushuliu

« Reply #379 on: 17 Oct 2014, 04:31 pm »
Hm, if the Crown is anything like the TPA3116 and other Class D chips I've encountered they need time to break in. They always sound kind of flat in the beginning.