NX-Otica Build, and Something Personal!

mkrawcz

Re: NX-Otica Build, and Something Personal!
« Reply #40 on: 24 Nov 2021, 07:27 pm »
That is probably the best glamour shot of the Oticas I’ve seen. Congrats on having one the best sounding speakers in the world!

Chewbacca

« Reply #41 on: 24 Nov 2021, 07:47 pm »
Thanks mkrawcz! The speakers certainly are photogenic! :lol: And yeah... It's an amazing feeling knowing I get to go home to them! They're wonderful :green:

subsonic1050

« Reply #42 on: 24 Nov 2021, 07:53 pm »
No doubt in my mind these are my favorite looking Otica's. I'm not sure why because they are "just black" - but something about the paint job just looks spectacular as does the cool lighting in that room. I'm so glad to hear that you love them - these NX series of speakers are lights out.

Chewbacca

« Reply #43 on: 24 Nov 2021, 08:01 pm »
Thanks, subsonic1050! That's quite the compliment!... But for real, there is something about the black on these. I'm really glad I went with the "just black" :lol:

BUT! It's not perfect, and there are some inconsistencies, mainly on the inside of the left speaker. I went out and bought some 1000, 2000, and 3000 grit sandpaper to try and give them a wet sanding (going to try an inside wing first lol). It has two layers of finish coat on them, so there shouldn't be any problem having enough material to smooth them out!

Yeah, these NX speakers knock it out of the park! The NQ drivers are VERY obviously special.

nadirmg

« Reply #44 on: 26 Nov 2021, 08:45 pm »
Dude - what an inspiring build/thread you did here. Seriously, I couldn't stop reading. I'm way behind you but this has given me a really fun template as I start on my first DIY build (NX Studios). Ordering them on Monday when GR Research opens back up from the holiday weekend.

Awesome stuff!

Chewbacca

« Reply #45 on: 26 Nov 2021, 10:11 pm »
Thanks, nadirmg! It really was an awesome journey! and now they make noise... You almost forget what you're building when you take as much time as I did :lol:

It's awesome you're starting it right with the NX-Studios! If you haven't heard a true speaker/HiFi System before, you're in for a serious treat!! :thumb:

Chewbacca

« Reply #46 on: 26 Nov 2021, 10:30 pm »
Well, while I'm here I may as well give an update. I've been running the speakers most of the time since they've been up, Music/TV during the day, pink noise at night. Probably somewhere around 30-40 hours on them. I also worked in the sub. It took me maybe 3 minutes to get it 95%. It was the easiest integration I've ever experienced. I had my previous speakers in the (near) exact spot I have the Oticas, so the phase was already locked in. With my room the Oticas play flat down to 50hz, then have just a wonderful drop to them. On the back of the amp (Rythmik F15HP) I have the crossover set to 35hz, so it crosses around 42hz I'd say. I have the sub down maybe 1.5db, so it doesn't draw attention to itself (still being a boxed speaker)... and it sounds AWESOME! Honestly, the first day and a half I didn't even use the sub. I didn't even reach for it. These things could EASILY play without a sub in my room. Everything it produces it just produces SO well. The mids and lows have really opened up the past 20 hours. The slam, the grit, the detail, is just unmatched... But, the tweeter still needs to be burned in. It's hit or miss. Every hour it seems to change from harsh, to pretty smooth, to shrill, to amazing, to "I can't listen to this... But everything else is so good I can't stop!". So if this tweeter can live up to the challenge of the best mid bass (no doubt) and absolutely astonishing bass... This is end game.

I could not be happier! I'm literally just giggling when I'm listening to music. Or shaking my head in disbelief.... I haven't even put the NoRez on the inside yet. I should be able to get to that this weekend. Awesome awesome awesome...

Some pics of the current toe in. Doing a 8' equilateral triangle. In addition to using the golden ratio for speaker placement (1.618). So my speakers are a distance of 1 (44") off the front wall and a distance of 1.618 (~71.25") from the side walls. I don't see a need to change it currently. The stage is unreal.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #47 on: 26 Nov 2021, 10:59 pm »
I’ve tried several methods for speaker placement over the last 20+ years and this has been the most effective. 

The only downside is you may have to pull the speakers further into the room then is aesthetically acceptable.

You may think you have a great soundstage but when you make them disappear, that’s the real magic.

https://youtu.be/CyTkwkK8ON0

Chewbacca

« Reply #48 on: 26 Nov 2021, 11:10 pm »
I haven't watched that one yet actually. I certainly will! They are just on the cusp of disappearing currently. I think they just need to break in a bit more for the tweeter to open up and really let those spatial cues (ques? queues? lol).

Also - I really can't bring them into the room any further without without really closing in the triangle. I'm going to certainly play with it ALOT more. I'm just going to wait for the good portion of the break in process to end!... I'm also going to try and see if the Little Lady and I can live with the living room turned 90deg. So they're facing into the room from the right side of the speakers currently. I could get them 2' off the side walls with an about 7' triangle, and could easily get 6' behind the speakers. I imagine that would be best for my room. Just a little more awkward furniture/TV wise.

Thanks for the reminder to watch that though! :thumb:

kickngas

« Reply #49 on: 27 Nov 2021, 08:59 pm »
Chewbacca, I believe I will be ordering  pair of Otica's this week. I am inspired by your build, and by comments in another thread I started about the Otica's. I just needed a little push before dropping that kind of cash on a pair of speakers! My Wife said I deserved them...who am I to question her?😉

I have a few questions about your paint application (which I would like to emulate).
Can you share here, or PM me, answers to the following:
1. What paint/primer you used.
2.Quantity of materials
3. Paint gun setup
4. Overall prep needed
5. Tips/what you would have done differently

Thanks in advance!

Chewbacca

« Reply #50 on: 28 Nov 2021, 08:24 pm »
Hi, kickngas! Absolutely listen to the Wife on that one!

I'd love to answer your questions! Glad I could be a positive influence on you to order the best price/performance speaker in loudspeaker history!

1) I used Zinsser B-I-N Shellac for primer: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-1-gal-B-I-N-Shellac-Based-White-Interior-Primer-and-Sealer-00901/100398381
    I used Rust-Oleum Sierra Performance Beyond Acrylic Enamel, Black, Satin: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/industrial-brands/sierra-performance/acrylic-enamel-coatings/beyond-acrylic-enamel/

2) I assume you mean the quality of the before mentioned materials. I'm quite impressed with both. The Shellac lays on THICK, which means you can really sand into it. You can lay it on thick enough on the edges, wave guide, and all the exposed MDF edges that you really don't need to fill them. If you want an absolutely perfect finish, you still may want to fill the edges. One thing I've always heard shop guys do (which I haven't tried) is mixing sawdust (MDF) with wood glue to make a really good fill. It's basically the same composition of the MDF itself - Just more glue.

3) So, this was a bit of a trial and error mess. I started with an HPLV gravity sprayer, since I have a nice compressor that can easily power one. This was my first time using one. The nozzle I got was too small, so basically the paint dried mid air when I was spraying. Which led to a pebbly surface. This needed to be sanded down between each coat. Finally I said screw it, and was about to order another nozzle, then my Dad said he's been wanting to get a Wagner spray gun to paint the house with in the future anyways. So we decided to try that out before putting more time in the HPLV. It worked great... They have a smaller nozzle for detail work. Much easier to use... https://www.wagnerspraytech.com/products/paint-sprayers/flexio-590-paint-sprayer/

4) I believe I started with sanding the raw cabinets with 200 grit (after glue up), sprayed a coat of primer. Dry. Sand with 200. Blow the thing with air, then tack cloth right before spraying to clean it. Coat of primer. Dry. Sand with 200, then I think 320 or 400 we used. Blow with air, then tack cloth. Spray a coat of finish. Dry. Sand with 400 I believe. Blow with air, then tack cloth. Spray a coat of finish. And that was it. I haven't wet sanded them yet... And I'm not sure if I'm going to. They look pretty good as is.

5) Obviously I would have started with the Wagner gun. Also - I would have prepped the glue joints a little better with more filler. Some of the joints can show thru, but it's hardly noticeable. The MAIN thing I would have made sure to do, was the last finish coat I would have put on thicker. It's hard to tell right when you're painting, because it looks totally uniform and finished. But after it drys, you can see some spots that there is a little less paint, AKA the texture is slightly different... It's a balance of enough paint to not get the pebble finish, and too much that you don't get orange peel or even worse, drips. As far as the crossover, wiring, that side of it, I wouldn't have done anything different. Maybe in the tweeter circuit upgraded to Path resistors, copper foil inductors, and replaced the Erse cap with something else. BUT, I'm planning on doing this in maybe a year or so, and the way the crossover is designed, it can basically just be cut out, and the new section transplanted right in!

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask any and all questions you may have! Congrats again at starting your journey to some of the best speakers available today!

kickngas

« Reply #51 on: 28 Nov 2021, 09:26 pm »
Thank you so much for the detailed response. I'm sure others will benefit from your experience. As for question #2, I was referring to the actual quantity of paint/primer needed to complete both cabinets. I don't want to get too much or too little to complete the job.

Thanks again!

Tccaux

« Reply #52 on: 28 Nov 2021, 09:46 pm »
Great thread!  Thanks so much! I just finished building my dual servo sub towers and opened up the flat pack from Jay for my Oticas as well. All in perfect order and condition! I'll eventually start a thread here on the Otica build sticky. Very inspiring work!

Chewbacca

« Reply #53 on: 28 Nov 2021, 09:48 pm »
Oh sheesh. Quantity, not quality :duh:

I bought 1 gallon of each. With some practicing I probably used about half of each gallon - maybe 2/3. I'd suggest just getting a gallon each. Figure $110. Maybe $150 with sanding materials/ filler. Which speaking of filler we used one of the DAP plastic wood for a filler. I don't remember which one. It was alright. I'd suggest the glue and sawdust honestly. Again, haven't done it, and forgot about trying it when I was building, but from what I've heard and seen people do, it's a great combo.

Also, 1 gallon may just be the perfect amount if you're doing dual subs :thumb: If you run short, can always buy an additional QT or something at that point.

Skilly

« Reply #54 on: 28 Nov 2021, 10:03 pm »
Sorry to Interrupt. I just have to comment what a wonderful thread this is to read. 

kickngas

« Reply #55 on: 28 Nov 2021, 10:11 pm »
Thanks for the info!
Just bit the bullet and placed my order!!!!!!!!!!!!
Normally, I get buyers remorse after a huge purchase like this...not this time! The last set of speakers I will ever need(except for the servo subs of course haha!)

mkrawcz

« Reply #56 on: 29 Nov 2021, 04:44 pm »
Thanks for the info!
Normally, I get buyers remorse after a huge purchase like this...not this time! The last set of speakers I will ever need(except for the servo subs of course haha!)
All you need to do is watch Audiophile Junkie’s youtube videos comparing his NX-Tremes to $250,000+ systems. Then realize the price for the NX-Oticas should be illegal.

Chewbacca

« Reply #57 on: 29 Nov 2021, 10:59 pm »
Sorry to Interrupt. I just have to comment what a wonderful thread this is to read.

No need to be sorry for interrupting, Skilly! Glad you and others can enjoy the thread! :thumb:

Chewbacca

« Reply #58 on: 29 Nov 2021, 11:02 pm »
Thanks for the info!

Awesome, kickngas! As mkrawcz eluded to, these things are the steal of a lifetime! Once they’re playing sweet music, any reservations you may have had… just melt away! :green:

Captainhemo

« Reply #59 on: 2 Dec 2021, 08:24 pm »
Hey Chewy
Sorry,  was kind of slow  to read this,  been  busy  with   kits.
Super job,  they turned out amazing  and  wow  on the  c/o !!

Big congrats on finding  "the one"   as  well   :thumb:
BTW,  that  is  Plum Creek Ultra  refined  MDF on the bafle,  Medex  for the rest of it.

jay