Received My M3 Sapphires - First Impressions

Tangram

Received My M3 Sapphires - First Impressions
« on: 3 Aug 2021, 01:08 pm »
While I recognize this post is a bit of "preaching to the choir", hopefully it will be help those on this forum who are "Spatial Curious" who are in research mode.

The speakers arrived on a pallet: two flat packs and a third box with bases and hardware. The packing was excellent, with not a single blemish to be found. Dare I say it: the speakers are in perfect condition. Size wise, they are imposing but not terribly so. They are shorter than my Maggie LRS's (on Magnariser stands) but quite a bit wider. Taste is personal but I think my walnut-veneered M3's are very pretty. Something about the proportions that are pleasing to the eye.

The Spatials have not a whiff of the DIY aesthetic that can occur with OB speakers. In fact, they are very well thought-out, with much of the wiring hidden, black painted backs, and really nice hardware. The veneer is excellent - like a piece of mid-century modern furniture - which is very pleasing to my eyes.

I set the speakers up and let them run in (at about 80 db) for three days while we were away, taking heed to the consistent comments that they need a lot of break in. While I expect the sound to change in the coming months, they are already showing some of what they are capable of. Using an EAR 868pl preamp and Pass Labs XA30.5 amp, they play effortlessly at 85 db (I am about 8 feet from the speakers in a medium-sized room). Only during bass-heavy tracks will the blue meter on the amp nudge to the right (indicating that it is leaving Class A). This may have something to do with the drop in impedance in the upper bass that Ron at New Record Day indicated in his measurements.

I bought the M3s because I loved the Maggie sound but wanted a more dynamic presentation, more sensitivity, and bass that doesn't require subs. The M3s deliver on all accounts. In fact, the bass (in my room) is a game changer. It's true: OB bass, done right, is a true thing of beauty. I would say the top end and midrange aren't quite as smooth yet but I expect that to come with time. The detail is there in spades. They don't give up much, if anything, to the quasi-panels. One thing that has been a pleasant surprise is that even though it is early days, I have never heard piano produced so accurately as I have with the M3's. That says a lot about the quality of these speakers, given the difficulty in reproducing piano music.

The LRS's were my foray into dipole speakers, after trying many box speakers, all of which left me unsatisfied. Magnepan sells them (cheaply) as a gateway drug to their bigger (and I assume, more profitable) speakers. In my case, they are my gateway drug to Spatials. It's a shame that the mainstream stereo magazines don't review offerings from Spatial or Pure Audio Project. In the case of Spatial, they are even Made in America! Professionally designed and manufactured OB speakers deserve more attention. I feel like I am now a member of a secret club, one that has solved the mystery of getting amazing sound in a home setting. I can say with confidence that I will never have a box speaker in my main system ever again.       

Mr. Big

Re: Received My M3 Sapphires - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2021, 01:52 pm »
Great feedback. The so-called Audio Magazines pander to corporations that build hi-fi gear, much of the same companies year over year, and always the new models kill the last model, yawn!  Some of the best gear you can buy is made by companies where the owner is the designer and runs the company himself. Nothing against the larger corporate-owned companies, but like Spatial Audio there are great products out these made by owners who have a passion for making good products with hands-on owners.

franSSS

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2021, 04:17 pm »
I enjoyed your feedback!

I am also new to OB. OK completely new. have never hear OB but will hopefully soon once my set goes into production at Clayton. Maybe i will give a write up too.   :scratch:

jjss49

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2021, 03:13 am »
how's the midrange?

franSSS

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2021, 12:19 pm »
how's the midrange?

Meaning from the front end gear or meaning from the speaker? or both?

Tangram

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2021, 12:20 pm »
Mid range is good but there’s room for improvement compared with the little Maggies (which, if I was advising someone new to this hobby who had a limited budget I would recommend without reservation). “Liquid smooth” is the term that pops into my head for the Maggies. The Spatials in comparison are a bit more “ragged” if that makes any sense. I am hoping this will change with time. I also need to continue playing with placement. I think the Spatials’ imaging and soundstage can be improved.

That said, listening to Side One of Rush’s Permanent Waves last night was revelatory. All of the nuances of Peart’s drumming came through and provided such incredible rhythmic drive to the music. Big, big smile on my face. I also played my new UHQR Kind of Blue two nights ago and heard stuff on there that I’ve never heard in the countless times I’ve listened to it. The detail on these speakers is impressive. The pressing probably helped as well!

Just need to be patient and give the speakers (and my brain?) time and I suspect I’ll have a real winner for my room, system, and listening tastes.

doggie

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2021, 12:35 pm »
Mid range is good but there’s room for improvement compared with the little Maggies (which, if I was advising someone new to this hobby who had a limited budget I would recommend without reservation). “Liquid smooth” is the term that pops into my head for the Maggies. The Spatials in comparison are a bit more “ragged” if that makes any sense. I am hoping this will change with time. I also need to continue playing with placement. I think the Spatials’ imaging and soundstage can be improved.

That said, listening to Side One of Rush’s Permanent Waves last night was revelatory. All of the nuances of Peart’s drumming came through and provided such incredible rhythmic drive to the music. Big, big smile on my face. I also played my new UHQR Kind of Blue two nights ago and heard stuff on there that I’ve never heard in the countless times I’ve listened to it. The detail on these speakers is impressive. The pressing probably helped as well!

Just need to be patient and give the speakers (and my brain?) time and I suspect I’ll have a real winner for my room, system, and listening tastes.

How many hours do you have on your Spatials?

Tangram

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2021, 12:59 pm »
About 80.

Mr. Big

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2021, 01:31 pm »
You need more time and perhaps start playing with the positioning (closer together and back a forth)and toe-in which will make a huge difference.

doggie

« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2021, 01:38 pm »
About 80.

That's about what mine have now. In the last day or so they really made a big change. Much more coherent and transparent.

I have a feeling that these will not be speakers that make everything sound good. We will hear the recording and our system, warts and all. Luckily you have a really good system...

Tangram

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2021, 01:38 pm »
Yep. That’s the plan. All part of the hobby.

@doggie: I have an all-analog system so imperfections are part of my life! I am really looking forward to hearing how the sound evolves.

jjss49

« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2021, 02:07 pm »
Meaning from the front end gear or meaning from the speaker? or both?

the speakers... it is what this thread is about, correct?

btw -- op will need about 300-400 hours before the speakers fully settle in, if his experience is similar to most users

RonP

« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2021, 02:01 pm »
Some of the best gear you can buy is made by companies where the owner is the designer and runs the company himself.
+1

Mr. Big

« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2021, 11:13 pm »
I dont know how many hours I have but they sound like a night and day difference after 8 months.

franSSS

« Reply #14 on: 9 Aug 2021, 09:19 am »
I dont know how many hours I have but they sound like a night and day difference after 8 months.

Fortunately i stay on a small holding so i should be able to crank them up night and day once i get them. :-)

Tangram

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2021, 12:27 pm »
Quick update, now that the speakers have 100 hours on them and my brain/ears have adjusted to the M3s. First, while I can clearly hear a piercing, “shoutiness” in the higher frequencies on startup, I attribute this to the amps not reaching thermal stability. After one full album (say, 40 minutes of listening), the brittleness goes away and I am getting a smoother, more relaxed presentation (on a relative basis; this is not a laid back speaker). On the mids, wooden instruments are sounding wooden (a good thing) and I’ve convinced myself I can tell if a guitarist is using nylon or steel strings. The decay on recorded reverb is becoming more noticeable (and more enjoyable). The bass is astounding. It honestly feels like my amp has an iron grip on those woofers.

I can’t say that the M3s image the best of any speaker I’ve had in my room. That distinction goes to a pair of Focal 1008 Be II standmounts (which I still own and will roll back into the system for a reality check in due course). The soundstage isn’t as good as when I have my head in a vice in the 6 inch wide Maggie sweetspot but the sweetspot of the M3s is much more generous.

One of my test records is Feist’s Let it Die. I played that at the end of a two hour listening session several nights ago. With the right speakers, Feist’s vocals can bump up against (and cross) the line between “detailed” and “detailed but fatiguing” at higher volumes in my room. The M3s passed with flying colors. That gives me significant comfort that these speakers make the grade.

franSSS

« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2021, 04:22 pm »
Thank you for the quick update. Wonder at how many hours the brightness will turn into smoothness or if the problem is a bit upstream ie cables or isolates or... ? but good to hear it is mellowing out .

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2021, 05:38 pm »
Thank you for the quick update. Wonder at how many hours the brightness will turn into smoothness or if the problem is a bit upstream ie cables or isolates or... ? but good to hear it is mellowing out .
Tangram
It took me quite a bit of playing until my M3’s were broken in possibly 200 hours. I also worked to tame my room acoustics and have been playing with the front end gear. IME cables and such have made huge improvements and swapping to a tube amp helped immediately in soundstage and smoothness.
What are you using for electronics and is your room treated?

abomwell

« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2021, 06:20 pm »
I agree. Definitely room treatments make a huge difference. Are you diffusing, or absorbing, the first reflections off sidewalls, and floor?

Al

Tangram

« Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2021, 07:58 pm »
Thanks everyone for chiming in. Here's the audio chain:

TW Acustic Raven One/Graham Phantom II/Kiseki Purple Heart
EAR/Yoshino 868 pl (tube line and phono stages)
Pass Labs XA30.5 Class A SS amp
M3s
Entire loom is from a Canadian company, Take Five Audio, which makes great, well-made custom cables. I don't believe my ears are good enough to hear cable differences.

Mine is a dedicated basement listening room, windowless, with an adjacent equipment closet where I keep my rack and gear. I have sidewall absorption at the first reflection points, diffusion on the front wall, and absorption on the back wall. I also have absorption panels at the ceiling first reflection. A thick rug covers the entire area between the speakers and listening spot. The room is well-damped but retains liveliness.

Honestly, I think I just need to be patient. When I feel I have enough hours on the M3s I will fine tune speaker placement and my listening spot. The combination of the Pass amp and the EAR preamp should be capable of giving me great sound from these amazing speakers.