B&W 602 upgrade, series 2 versus 3 ?

ScottMoonShot

B&W 602 upgrade, series 2 versus 3 ?
« on: 2 Aug 2021, 06:02 pm »
Hello all,

I own a pair of B&W 602 S3 speakers and I am interested in upgrading them with the upgrade kit by GR research.

I believe the kit was created based on an analysis of a series 2 speaker, not a series 3 speaker. I wonder what the difference is and would the kit work with my S3?

I have not been able to find reliable information on the differences between series 1,2 and 3. I also own the original series 1 and I can see the drivers are physically different between S1 and S3, but the drivers on the S2 and S3 look the same, based on looks alone.

Any ideas or opinions on upgrading would be appreciated. Thanks.

thorman

Re: B&W 602 upgrade, series 2 versus 3 ?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2021, 06:51 pm »
 I guess my first thoughts for you would be to determine if this is just a step in frustration. Also consider what this might do for re-sale if down the road you decide to sell for a different ( or better ) set of speakers. Sometimes upgraded speakers are harder to sell ( like a custom car ) . Maybe it is time to move up rather than upgrade your current speakers. Try to find someone whom already did the upgrade and see what they say. Upgrades don't always work because it is based on someone else's Ears . Bottom line do your homework before jumping into the fire.

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2021, 07:58 pm »
Not worried about resale. I am really happy with them in my home theater system (602 S3 front, 602 S1 back, LCR center, ASW powered sub).I have enjoyed the system for a couple decades now (hard to believe) watching movies in Dolby digital 5.1

Lately I have started listening to music with just the two front 602's moving them out into the room, setting the receiver to direct, creating my own playlists to start learning to hear better. I am enjoying experiencing sound stage and depth.

Eventually I will setup a music listening room with a higher end system dedicated to hi fi. (I can see the writing on the wall) But for now I thought it would be fun to get a little more out of these 602's with a little diy, I am a diy can a guy anyway. This would also give me more experience listening.

Thanks for the comments.

subsonic1050

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2021, 08:34 pm »
Here's a question... how much do you like the B&W as they are?

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2021, 09:14 pm »
I like them a lot. So why mess with them?

I watched Danny Richie's YouTube video evaluating a B&W602 S2 and how he designed a new crossover with quality parts and created a DIY kit for only $265. This sounds like a lot of fun for me. A chance to improve a pair of speakers I love and have had a twenty year relationship with. Very curious to hear what quality parts can do to a factory speaker.

If I had the series 2 instead of the series 3 I would have bought the kit already. Done deal! But I don't know if what he designed for the series 2 would be the same for the series 3?

I just ordered the Desktop Mini's for my first DIY speaker project. Curious as to how they sound compared to the B&W's (not fair?) and the ELAC B6 (fair) that I have. Again I am just playing around trying to develop my ear and gaining experience. I am a DIY guy anyway.

subsonic1050

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2021, 11:27 pm »
I asked because the 602 isn't a speaker that I particularly like - but know people who do indeed like them. I think if you were planning to "transform" a speaker into something it isn't already, then I'd probably go a different route. Given that you already really like them, the upgrades might just improve upon the character that you already enjoy. I also own a pair of 602's but only because I got a good deal on them and they are out in my woodworking shop - I don't know enough about them to know the differences between the different versions, so sorry I can't be of any help in that regard!

I might suggest waiting until you've built the minis and see how a $199 DIY speaker compares to your 602's. If you like the mini - I'd throw in the suggestion of building some Encores instead of upgrading the B&W. From what I've heard, the Encores are a tremendous value and I'd be surprised if they couldn't easily beat the B&W's in almost every way.

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2021, 03:23 am »
Good advice, thanks.

If the minis go well I will be looking at the Encore's for sure. I will want to upgrade my equipment to take advantage of them though. So a larger financial journey. I'm sure I'm heading that direction anyway.

77SunsetStrip

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2021, 10:28 pm »
If you want to tinker and experiment could upgrade the crossovers with better quality parts, not changing the original design.  Do 1 speaker and decide if you like the results before changing the other.  Identify specific things to listen for comparing the stock speaker to upgraded speaker.  I followed that process with a pair of speakers happy with for 15 years.  Stock FR was very smooth and flat with great imaging.  After mods done to 1 speaker, the difference was surprising.  Clarity across the spectrum with the mods.  Spent hours comparing the stock speaker to the other with quality parts to make sure 1) a real difference existed and 2) liked the difference.  Upgraded the second speaker and never looked back.     

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2021, 10:53 pm »
Yes, I might do that. Swap out resistors and caps, like for like, add some "No Rez" and tube connectors.

You would think it would make a difference.