LDR3000x.V3 Passive, Tube & Solid State Preamps

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
LDR3000x.V3 Passive, Tube & Solid State Preamps
« on: 13 Feb 2021, 08:38 pm »
Hi All,

We have been considering where to go next with our collection of past and current preamp designs in terms of both the external enclosure aesthetics and their internal designs. Some of you may be familiar with our current LDR3000T.V25 Tube Preamp and it's close cousin the LDR3000P.V25 Passive Preamp - both models are balanced preamps. These were both built around our long lived black powder coated extruded 3" x 6" x 8" aluminum box also used by our LDR1 and LDR3 series that goes all the way back to 2012.

Today, we are starting the process of coming out with our new enclosure design that will replace the all-black Tortuga box. In some ways it closely resembles the enclosure we used in our older LDRx and LDRxB models. It combines the best of brushed anodized aluminum, powder coating, and hand finished sustainable bamboo, in a handsome casework that is pleasing to look at, inherently robust, relatively easy to build, and is highly adaptable to both larger and smaller models all of which will utilize the same dimensioned side panels.

The model represented in these 3D CAD images are of the new LDR3000x.V3 that will ultimately come in 3 nearly identical variations including a balanced tube model (shown here), a solid state model, and of course a passive model. All will be based around our newest V3 series electronic stepped attenuator/controller. All will be powered via AC mains into new internal power supply modules, tube boards and solid state boards appropriate to each model variant. All variants will be balanced with 3 sets of XLR inputs, 3 sets of RCA inputs, plus a pair of both XLR and RCA outputs.

Dimensions are approximately 12.5" wide, 9.5" deep (plus knob & jacks), by 2.5" tall (plus feet). Front and rear panels are anodized brushed aluminum, the top is powder coated aluminum, bottom is unfinished aluminum, and the sides are hand finished solid bamboo.

Anyone ordering a current LDR3000T or LDR3000P going forward will receive an LDR3000x.V3 variant when they become available.

More info will be forthcoming over the next few weeks including a bit more detail on the internals.

Cheers,
Morten 

« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2021, 02:19 pm by tortugaranger »

Hikmer

Re: LDR3000x Passive & Active Preamps
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2021, 07:05 pm »
Any updates on the new enclosure?  I didnt realize you were adding balanced options too, impressive.

ricardoosusa

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2021, 08:34 pm »
Very nice, I've always been curious about the Tortugas, my question would be what tube choices are we going to have this time? I would prefer something that gives as many options for rolling as possible.  6sn7 would be a great tube.

RichPark

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2021, 03:19 am »
That preamp is happy to see you. Come around and play me sometime. :icon_twisted:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2021, 12:12 pm »
Any updates on the new enclosure?  I didnt realize you were adding balanced options too, impressive.

Things have evolved to include numerous updates and initiatives that go beyond only enclosures.

Too much to go into in detail but efforts include:

1) New 300x enclosure
2) New 3000x enclosure
3) Updated ePot.V3 Max Rev B board
4) Updated ePot.V3 Rev B power board
5) New ePot.V3 mains power supply board
6) New 300x I/O interface board
7) New 3000x I/O interface board
8) New SSPB.V3 solid state buffer piggyback board (mounts directly on to V3 Max board)
9) New TPB.V3 tube buffer piggyback board (mounts directly on to V3 Max board)
10) New TPB.V3 mains power supply board
11) New modular TPB.V3 coupling capacitor board
12 ) New module TBP.V3 tube board

I'm sure I've left something out.

We are pushing most/all of this forward simultaneously because so much of it is interdependent and integrated. So of course it's all going slower than we'd like but the results will be worth it. This is the cumulation of years of ideas coming together at the same time.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2021, 12:19 pm »
Very nice, I've always been curious about the Tortugas, my question would be what tube choices are we going to have this time? I would prefer something that gives as many options for rolling as possible.  6sn7 would be a great tube.

We are sticking with the 6H30 as the design basis. Nothing against the 6SN7. With the 9 pin dual SET 6H30 driving the sizing of the power supply this makes it possible to substitute practically every 6922/E88 et. al. family tube out there which all draw less current than the 6H30. Lots of rolling options within this family. We still prefer the 6H30 because it's a robust tank of a tube that has a beautifully neutral sound quality and is in current production.

Hikmer

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2021, 04:38 pm »
Things have evolved to include numerous updates and initiatives that go beyond only enclosures.

Too much to go into in detail but efforts include:

1) New 300x enclosure
2) New 3000x enclosure
3) Updated ePot.V3 Max Rev B board
4) Updated ePot.V3 Rev B power board
5) New ePot.V3 mains power supply board
6) New 300x I/O interface board
7) New 3000x I/O interface board
8) New SSPB.V3 solid state buffer piggyback board (mounts directly on to V3 Max board)
9) New TPB.V3 tube buffer piggyback board (mounts directly on to V3 Max board)
10) New TPB.V3 mains power supply board
11) New modular TPB.V3 coupling capacitor board
12 ) New module TBP.V3 tube board

I'm sure I've left something out.

We are pushing most/all of this forward simultaneously because so much of it is interdependent and integrated. So of course it's all going slower than we'd like but the results will be worth it. This is the cumulation of years of ideas coming together at the same time.

Wow go big or go home!  I like the direction, missed that you were going to include tubes too.  Hey cool.  Will there be a bypass to turn the tube section on and off?  So April timeline or further out?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2021, 07:24 pm »
Today we finally stood up the new product page for the LDR3000x.V3 preamp series. This model replaces the previous LDR3000T.V25 and LDR3000P.V25 which are now retired.

Here's the link:  https://tortugaaudio.com/products/active-preamps/ldr3000x-v3-high-performance-preamp/

In short, the LDR3000x.V3 preamp comes in 9 different configurations including passive, active solid state and active tube. Each can be ordered with 3 RCA inputs only (2 outputs), or... 3 balanced XLR inputs only (2 outputs), or....a mix of 3 RCA in / 2 out plus 3 XLR in / 2 out. There's a different price point for each configuration. They all come in the same enclosure with different internal modules and different rear panels. The combined RCA/XLR versions comes in a wider enclosure to accommodate all the rear panel inputs/outputs but is otherwise the same as the narrower enclosure.

We don't have a good set of pics to show this in action but both the solid state and tube buffer boards have been redesigned to plug directly into the V3 Max preamp attenuator/controller board converting it from a passive to an active device. Most everything is now modular with different power boards, tube boards, buffer boards, etc.

It's available for pre-order starting now with a May 15 release target at a 15% pre-order discount  that ends on the day of release.

All are built around the updated Rev B version of the V3 Max LDR stepped attenuator/preamp controller.

We still have some work to do on the product page. The specs are missing etc.

Here's are a few 3D CAD images. Actual product pics will be posted when we have them. It's hard to tell but most of these are of the narrower enclosure. The 2 with the tubes are of the wider enclosure.

Hikmer

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2021, 11:53 pm »
For what you include in this device the price is fairly reasonable, looking forward to adding tubes back into my setup.  Thanks for being so flexible in an upgrade path too!

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2021, 01:06 pm »
Hi All,

Just a quick update on our progress towards releasing the LDR3000x. If you've followed the evolution of the LDR3000x you'll note that this has morphed into a preamp platform with 9 variations ranging from passive to active, from tube to solid state, and from RCA only, to XLR only, to combined RCA/XLR signal types. Working out the details on all those configurations has been challenging and unavoidably iterative (read costly).

But it's all coming together. Almost all of the internal circuit board designs are done and raw boards are in hand. All raw enclosure parts are either on order or will be this week. When we get the raw panels back we still need to prep them and send them out for finishing. That's the main reason we won't have finished product pics until the very last minute....it's the last thing to happen.

The last iteration on the Rev B V3 Max boards are due to arrive on Monday. I was really pleased with listening tests on the most recent prototype V3 Max. I think I can confidently say that our LDR preamp attenuator/controllers have never sounded better and for the first time in 10 years I finally feel like we can say I don't know how we could improve on the current hardware design.

The LDR3000x is available for pre-order at at 15% discount prior to release using the discount code LDR3000x15% during checkout. https://tortugaaudio.com/products/active-preamps/ldr3000x-v3-high-performance-preamp/

Cheers,
Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2021, 02:04 pm »
Hi All,

A quick note to let know that we are waiting on the return of our first batch of front panels from our anodizer. They're the last custom part that we're waiting on. We should be getting those back later next week (1st week of June) at which point we'll be able to finish building and begin shipping new LDR3000x.V3 preamps. It's been a long hard slog but I'm confident you'll really like these new preamps.

The LDR3000x is still available for pre-order at at 15% discount prior to release. Use the discount code LDR3000x15% during checkout. https://tortugaaudio.com/products/active-preamps/ldr3000x-v3-high-performance-preamp/

Cheers,  :thumb:
Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: LDR3000x.V3 Passive & Active Preamps
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2021, 01:47 pm »
Hi All,

A quick update letting everyone know that front panels arrived on Tuesday this week and we are now in full swing starting production the LDR3000x.V3 preamps. We have quite a backlog of pre-orders so it will take a 2-4 weeks for us to get totally caught up as we ramp up our production. As with every new product version we will go through a learning curve where it's slow at first.

We will soon grab a finished unit and get some product photos taken. We will post those as soon as they're available.

Find out more about the new LDR3000x.V3 series here:  https://tortugaaudio.com/products/active-preamps/ldr3000x-v3-high-performance-preamp/

Cheers,  :thumb:
Morten

Hikmer

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2021, 02:08 pm »
Can't wait to see and hear the new released version!

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2021, 09:00 pm »
Early informal pic of the new LDR3000x.V3 Preamp. This one happens to be an RCA only tube unit configuration...obviously with its top off. These are starting to roll through production. Will have more pics soon but still 1-2 weeks away from getting some high quality product photos. Could get better pics sooner but it's either stop production and take photographs or keep moving forward building units as we work through the backlog of orders.

I don't mind saying that these are quite nice to look at. And they sound great too!  :thumb:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
LDR3000x.V3 - First Round of Product Pics
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2021, 09:31 pm »
First set of pics. Shown is the active tube version of the LDR3000x.V3 with RCA inputs/outputs. It comes in the narrower version of the enclosure.

Randy

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jul 2021, 04:34 pm »
Beautiful.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
LDR3000x.V3 Passive Preamp | Balanced | XLR & RCA
« Reply #16 on: 27 Jul 2021, 08:29 pm »
Hi All,

Here's a few more pics of the new LDR3000x.V3 preamp.  This one is configured as a balanced passive unit with 3 sets of XLR inputs and 3 sets of RCA inputs. There are both dual XLR and RCA outputs. Due to the additional inputs & outputs this configuration comes in the "wide" enclosure.

More info on the LDR3000x.V3 here:  https://tortugaaudio.com/products/active-preamps/ldr3000x-v3-high-performance-preamp/

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Inside the LDR3000x | Singled-Ended Tube/RCA Configuration
« Reply #17 on: 2 Aug 2021, 01:51 pm »
Here's an on-the-fly pic of an LDR3000x.V3 configured as a single-ended tube preamp. The pic was taken during final assembly & commissioning. 

The two tubes in their sockets are shown here lying about without the top panel to which they are normally attached so it looks a bit random.

Starting on the left going counter-clockwise we have the tube power supply board which provides both the heater and plate voltage driven by a robust 40 watt 100-240VAC to 12VDC switching converter. To it's front-right is a secondary 12VDC power supply & control board for the V3 preamp attenuator/controller board. The display module is bonded to the front panel. In the right-front corner there's a pair of VCAP CuTf output coupling capacitors that are driven by the solid state JFET buffer output stage. Note that the tube/JFET buffer board is piggy-backed on top of the V3 preamp attenuator/controller board with the LDR attenuation module plugged into the buffer board itself rather than the V3 board directly. The V3 board itself is barely visible under the buffer board. The V3 board plugs into the input/output interface board at the rear panel which is sporting 5 sets of dual gold plated Cardas RCA jacks. Finally, in the upper-left corner there's the 100-240VAC IEC mains fused input switch module. The little red board next to it is an FTDI type USB to UART serial converter used to update the firmware.

The key hardware difference between this single-ended configuration and a similar balanced model is the balanced model uses a wider enclosure to accommodate the mixed XLR/RCA signals and there's both a second set V3/buffer boards present as well as a second set of output coupling caps.

xieqiao

Re: LDR3000x.V3 Passive, Tube & Solid State Preamps
« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2022, 03:31 pm »
All these pictures look so beautiful and elegant! I have just ordered a Tortuga Audio LDR3000x.V3 High Performance Passive: XLR only version.  But I'm a little worried as I find LDRs are technically challenging.  This passive preamp seems to have some user-replaceable components like LDR moduless.  I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me where I can find some video instructions on how to open the preamp's covering and about the procedures to replace LDR modules.

xieqiao

Re: LDR3000x.V3 Passive, Tube & Solid State Preamps
« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2022, 12:27 am »
I wonder what kind of screwdriver I should use to open the covering and replace components?  I used to have a bad experience while opening an espresso machine and trying to remove a flat disk inside. . But unfortunately, the single screw at the flat disk's center can no longer be screwed tightly, nor can it be unscrewed, perhaps as a result of applying too much force with a low-quality screwdriver. To make matters worse, in the process of removing the stuck screw, I badly scratched the disk of the coffee maker.