Spatial X5 - Customer Review Part 1

Spatial Audio

Spatial X5 - Customer Review Part 1
« on: 20 Dec 2020, 07:19 pm »
Hey guys - this customer review was so smart and well written that I decided to post it here:

Clayton

X5 Review PART I

“Your speakers are weird, but from the back they look like a rocket.”

Both true statements. That was the extent of a review from my nine-year-old son about my new Spatial Audio X5 speakers fresh out their shipping boxes.

Not sure I need to add anything to his assessment, but I will.

What I can’t add much of at this point is a description of the sound they’re supposed to produce because there’s quite a lot of break-in needed, Clayton told me, particularly mechanical break-in on the woofer cones. “Play them loud when your family is out at the mall,” he said. “The biggest improvement will take place in the first 50 hours of use but they’ll keep getting better for another 200.”

Yeah, out of the box they sound a little weird in some ways. I ask myself if I’m hearing the full extent of what open baffle bass is all about. Probably not. Also: Is that the extent of driver integration and high end extension and air? Probably not. I also find myself asking, How much of what I’m hearing is the speaker and how much my amp (Pass Aleph 30), my pre-amp (NuForce MCP-18), wire (Kimber and Anti-cables), and other components?

Fact is, it’s just too early to tell. Patience, advised the wise man.

So I’ll need to deliver this review in two parts, this one providing initial material impressions and another, later entry, once the speakers have settled in and I can appropriately evaluate their sonic performance.

But I will say this. What’s immediately apparent is the diminished influence of a speaker box and the impact of my room. I say diminished rather than absent because the baffle still necessarily resonates to some degree (not that I can hear it) and sound still necessarily propagates in the room, but the usual complexity of those influences is reduced, and I can hear that. It’s about what isn’t there; a sense of the box resonance and constriction or compression that I’ve probably gotten used to from box speakers over the years, the sound resulting from containing and managing the back wave within the cabinet. There is just less of that … contained pressure. Plus, my room has its problems: large glass window on one side, the other side open to a larger room. With the X5s, I feel as if I’m hearing more of the music—more direct access—and less of the imbalances and interferences imposed by the flawed environment I’m playing them in.

As I said, more to come.

What I can talk about here and now is these speakers as objects.

The X5 isn’t just well finished, it’s finished in a wabi-sabi manner that transcends quality manufacturing because it isn’t really manufactured; it’s crafted by caring and skilled hands.

Wabi-sabi is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of appreciating beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" in nature.

Materially, the X5s don’t aim to be perfect in the conventional sense yet come closer to an ideal than many speakers that do and land instead on artificial refinement, datedness or bloodlessness. Most “refined” manufacturing is about making seams and joints undetectable. It’s about keeping secrets and hiding processes.

Inscrutability is, apparently, in some circles, the height of sophistication. Also a potential opportunity to obscure reasons why it costs a gazillion dollars.

The X5s take the opposite approach. They show what is normally hidden and thereby instantly turn convention and expectations inside out. They celebrate the nexus of materials and surfaces and everywhere reveal what they are made of and how they are put together. The screws are not hidden or even recessed, but they are the only “manual” you would ever need to take these things apart and put them back together again (not recommended). The driver magnets and baskets are fully exposed in back and you can see how robustly these pro units are constructed. Spatial Audio makes no attempt to white label these components, and in so doing communicates refreshing honesty and authenticity; you can see who makes the conventional drivers (Eminence) and the digital amp (Hypex Ncore®). I’ve also heard there’s a way to peek in to see the crossover’s capacitors, but I haven’t found that yet, and I don’t know who manufacturers that amazingly wide-band AMT tweeter, but it looks and feels like it was designed and constructed to a NASA-level spec.

Looks like a rocket, indeed.

The X5s are put together in a way that is transparent to their purpose and philosophy. With their single square and dual circular openings, they are also beautiful, balanced, unique and refreshing, simply magnificent architectural objects, simultaneously refined and rustic, modern and timeless machines.

The “UltraLam” baffle appears in pictures as if it might be rough textured but it’s not at all rough; it’s milky smooth and silken to the touch, finished as only an expert wood worker and finisher would know how to do. It’s not the actual wood you’re touching, of course, but the urethane coating over it, yet it doesn’t feel artificial. Instead, it’s a considered tactile experience of its own.

There’s a contradiction between the way the baffle looks and the way it feels so you keep running your hand over its surface in an unconscious search for the tactility of wood that never reveals itself to the touch, except in rare places where small areas with natural variations are present, such as a knot in the larger piece from which a lamination layer was cut. These “flaws” appear as darker areas in the striped lattice of the UltraLam and are beautiful in their irregularity and imperfection, characteristics of nearly all beauty in nature. There’s also delight to the eye in tracing the lines of lamination which, in their organic origins, are mostly but not uniformly parallel and sometimes seem to flow like contributories in a river delta into each other. 

Spatial Audio recently introduced painted finishes in red, black and white with other custom colors also available. I have no doubt those finishes are fine but would never presume to improve upon nature. For me, natural is the only finish to get.

The component materials of the X5s are varied, honest, elemental, and harmonious. Wood. Metal. Paper. These elements are heavier, more robust and substantial than typical or expected, seemingly better and stronger than they strictly have to be.

Discovering these virtues of the X5s reminds me of a business pitch I was in a few years ago to Lucid Motors, an emerging future mobility competitor to Tesla. Their advertising agency guy asked me if I had any experience with ultraluxury products and if so, how would I define them.

“Love that question!” I said.

I told him that Dassault Falcon was also a client and here’s what I’ve learned from them about, for example, buying a private jet: You want to be assured that the people who designed and built it care more about its quality, performance and safety than even you do as the buyer and owner.

This quality is easily discovered: How good is the object where no one except those who designed and built it will ever see? Want to understand how good a piece of furniture is? Look behind it at the part that faces the wall. If it’s beautiful there, you’ve got a quality piece.

In the automotive world, a good example is the first Lexus LS. When competitors bought and dismantled this new car that threatened their luxury business, they were startled to find the floor pan was made of a complex, multi-layer laminate. Why startling? Because every noise and vibration expert and structural engineer knows that this type of laminate construction is the platinum standard for how that part should be made, but no other manufacturer did it that way because it was too difficult, too heavy, too expensive and besides, no customer would ever see it so why bother?

But Lexus did it anyway because it mattered to them; they cared that much about creating something great.

You can see where I’m going with this.

See you again after 250 accumulated hours.

Russell

doggie

Re: Spatial X5 - Customer Review Part 1
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2021, 02:05 am »
Excellent. Part 2?

franSSS

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2021, 07:06 am »
Yep, Please find us part two.  :popcorn:

Spatial Audio

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2021, 04:46 pm »
Gentlemen - Enjoy!
Clayton

Russell Reich - X5 Speaker Review Part II

What I Want

One way to evaluate a speaker is on the tone or timbre of instruments and voices played through it.

Does a violin sound like a violin? Does my wife, who is an opera singer, sound like my wife?

I use these two examples because … familiarity. You likely have your own touchstones.

I lived for years in a Manhattan apartment across the hall from a violin teacher. One thing I noticed from my goings and comings in the hallway was how loud and harsh that instrument can be. It makes a lot of noise—not only more than I expected from an object of its size, but with a tone, even when played expertly, that sounded remarkably complex, raw, even screechy when heard nearby. The opposite of soothing. I didn’t expect that from an instrument I tended to think of as refined and elegant.

This “ugly” sound quality of the violin and other instruments (clarinets come to mind, brass horns, too) can be understood in part by a comparison to our sense of smell.

Perfume allegedly smells good, right? Just as a violin allegedly sounds good.

Well, not so fast. At the foundation of the traditional perfumers’ craft is a substance called civet, a secretion by a wild cat-like creature of the same name from Africa and Asia.

To be blunt: civet stinks. Its odor is strong, even putrid. Dilution helps enormously. Now displaced in perfumery by chemical alternatives—in part because civets transmit the SARS virus, and probably because catching a civet to obtain its secretions is an unpleasant and possibly dangerous undertaking for both you and the civet—civet used as a perfume tincture nonetheless presents an obvious question: Why was it needed?

Well, one theory is that its scent signals danger to our primitive lizard brain: Wild cats can eat you; this is the scent of a wild cat; WAKE UP!

I’ll leave it to some psycho-physiologist’s dissertation to answer why the substance of perfume should arouse sexual attraction while simultaneously invoking a sense of impending, violent death (poets and others of us who have been in relationships might intuit the connection). But just as a perfume that does not invoke danger might not work as well in its arousal function, the reproduced sound of a violin that doesn’t include the raw ingredients produced by a very particular amalgam of wood, glue, horsehair, resin and friction might not be doing its job well, either, musically speaking. It simply won’t strike our minds, hearts, guts and pelvises with the same musical power than it otherwise would.

Many of us might not LIKE the way a violin really sounds because we’ve gotten so used to how it sounds when massed with other strings, at a distance, or through traditional audio systems. But in our accommodations and aversions, I suspect we’ve lost something foundational and elemental in the music—and in our listening.

I read a story of a young boy who had his first sleepover at a friend’s house. He woke in the morning to unfamiliar surroundings and went downstairs, where his friend’s mother had prepared a beautiful breakfast for the boys, including homemade muffins and fresh squeezed orange juice.

The visiting boy took a drink from the glass and grimaced.

“What’s wrong?” the mother asked.

The boy replied, “This doesn’t taste like the frozen concentrated stuff my Mom makes.”

I believe this doesn’t have to happen to us as audiophiles. The Spatial Audio X5s are one antidote.

I’ve been an audiophile for over thirty years, craving this elusive but vital, vibrant, real component to the music. My search parallels a saying I’ve heard from Dennis Prager, also an audiophile, who was speaking of larger things when he said, “There’s always hope; there’s little chance.”

I’m a value-oriented audiophile who can’t or doesn’t have the appetite to spend what the top tier requires. And I don’t believe it’s actually necessary to do so. I’ve heard too many ultra-expensive systems that sound awful, bringing to mind The Emperor’s New Clothes, which I want no part of. I’ve also heard many reasonably priced components punch way above their weight. And I’ve seen inspired engineering from Nelson Pass, Max Townshend, John Siau, Paul Speltz and now Clayton Shaw innovate and refine extraordinary, world-class products that demonstrate the superiority of resourcefulness, creativity, discipline and brains over raw expense and brawn. That’s why I've pursued and bought products like my Pass Aleph 30 amp, my NuForce MCP-18 preamp, and my Anticable wire.

What I Got

Have I found what I’m looking for in the X5s, or any other system?

I have heard it, on rare occasions, in other systems. I heard it at separate audio shows, years apart, from three very different, very expensive systems: Raidho/Audionet, Nola/VAC, and B&W/Boulder. All near- or multiple-six figure systems. I am grateful, but don’t think it’s remarkable, that I found a sense of what I’m yearning for in audio systems costing as much as a house—they should achieve the sublime; I’m disappointed with its rarity and how few multiple six-figure systems even come close to achieving a sense of realism that allows me to relax enough to convincingly hear the music, not the system.

The question for me has always been how to reach that realistic result at a realistic price level.

The X5s didn’t achieve it at first, either, but the quality I was looking for began to emerge after about 75-100 hours of use, along with some upstream system upgrades and tweaks. What I thought was excellent or at least pleasurable and adequate in my system now turns out not to be. The X5s are utterly revealing of what’s fed into them and they have rewarded my upstream improvement efforts. Also, Clayton guides owners to wait up to 250 hours before evaluating and he’s right. My speakers aren’t done yet, they’re still cooking, and performance improvements continue.

But beyond tone and timbre, there is another characteristic that is fully realized, something I’m getting from the X5s that I haven’t noticed in any other system, nor was I looking for it.

It’s a quality of separation between and among instruments and vocalists that’s about as distinct and deep as I’ve heard.

Usually, this quality is referred to as space or soundstage (Spatial Audio, duh!), but what I’m talking about is really a subset of those descriptors. Specifically, it’s the sense that the singer is THERE—a 3-D human of flesh, blood and spittle, with body depth as well as height and width—in his own space as distinct from the skin of a drum that’s over THERE, and the body of a guitar that’s THERE, and so on. Presence is a good word.

You’ll hear this unmatched precision of placement on the X5s with, for instance, Michael Jackson’s hit Billy Jean. You know the lyric: “Just remember to always think twice.” And you know what happens next; he repeats the lyric as a kind of shouty echo: “Do think twice. Do think twice.” But here’s what I didn’t know until I heard this song through the X5s: The first time Jackson sings it as part of the main mix, he’s dead center. The first repetition, he’s far left. And for the next repetition, he’s center again, louder but further back than before. It’s not subtle; he is THERE. Then he is THERE. Then he is THERE. It happens quickly but it’s unmistakable, incredibly distinct.

I’ve never heard this degree of spatial resolution on any other system and it makes a huge perceptual difference. By separating out the parts so completely, the synthesis of the music no longer happens in a pre-mixed, artificial homogenization of the sound within a speaker box. It happens outside the speakers, in your own mind and imagination as the listener. You put it together in your head. You complete the experience.

This is what live, unamplified (and therefore un-preprocessed) music is like; you see the players, the instruments, their locations and distances … you relate to them bodily through your multiple senses, and the information from your eyes, ears and skin allows you to synthesize all that into a musical experience. It happens inside you as much as outside; you are an active participant.

An example from the theater world might be helpful in illuminating this concept. A guideline I learned in my days as a stage director was to give the audience all the dots they need, but never connect all the dots for them.

When Julie Taymor was selected to direct a theatrical version of the film The Lion King for Broadway, there was a lot of speculation about how she would adapt the movie’s animation to the live stage. Her solution was not to put the performers in animal suits, a la Barney and Friends—that would have been a clear example of connecting too many dots!

Instead, she went for ellipsis—deliberately synthesizing less so the audience had a bigger role to play. She did this by giving the audience a choice of watching the costumed performer OR the character’s puppet apparatus that the performer was simultaneously operating.

This separation, and the choices it enabled, engaged the audience such that the completion of the idea happened in mind of each audience member. In a way, they created the characters as much as the performers did.

This participation of the senses is what art should aim at, and it’s what the X5s do with music.

I heard it, for instance, when I played Paul Simon’s familiar Graceland—a collaborative buffet of musicians and musical styles if ever there was one. The X5s extracted the parts from the whole so I became more aware of the musicianship, the interplay, the relationships between the elements than I had heard before in the many years I’ve enjoyed this album. Again: I had more of a participatory role in synthesizing the music. New levels of enjoyment and appreciation were the result.

Thanks to Roon’s Radio feature, I discovered a remarkable piece of music called Season Shift by Niklas Paschburg on his Svalbard album. Not easily classified, this atmospheric and percussive music bears some resemblance to the piano-based work of Ludovico Einaudi, but with a darker, sharper and more electronic edge. If you play this and you’re not utterly transported beyond the experience of listening to an audio system, then you’re not hearing it on Spatial X5s. Just as a good waiter makes himself unseen, and a good parent (eventually) makes himself unnecessary, the X5’s virtue of humility and invisibility in service of the music is on full display with this piece. No speakers, no recording; it’s just the music and you.

For another example of that corporeal thereness of a performer I wrote about earlier, try the wonderful song Next Time by Laura Marling on the album Semper Femina.

Finally, to impress your friends, play Sting’s Fragile from his recent My Songs album. You’ll all hear a familiar tune with uncommon and surprising depth, precision and realism that will shock and delight from the first note.

What don’t the X5s do? Well, as serious audiophile instruments, X5s are for those who dedicate themselves to listening actively and attentively, and they reward focused commitment.

Translation: sit down. These are not speakers for Walk Around Audiophiles. If you like to get up and dance, if you like to sing to yourself in the mirror while your favorite music plays, the Xs won’t sound optimum in those scenarios and you’d do better with the M-series Sapphires. This is due to the difference between the wider dispersion achieved with the domed sapphire tweeters which open up the listening field, and the focus provided by the tweeter waveguide on the Xs that diminishes the complicating influence of side reflections in the room. Both are values are valid ; pick one. Note that this tighter listening field will be less noticeable in a large room when you can get further away from the Xs and the mix of sound has more space to propagate and to project higher and wider.

Aside from that, other differences between them are much more subtle. Based on my exposure to the M’s at an audio show, the two series sound very similar, definitely close siblings. They both adhere to the general sound priorities of their creator, so it’s no surprise they sound so alike.

The Xs (and Ms) do so many rare things so well because they have been designed from the start to solve for so many problems of a traditional speaker approach.

·       The box presents design challenges and manufacturing expense; the X5s eliminate the box and deliver superior sound at lower cost.

·       The room imposes an unknowable and complex influence on the sound; the X5s diminish the impact of the room while adding dipole dispersion and so provide a more direct conduit to the music and recording venue.

·       Difficult speaker impedance curves and low sensitivity ratings constrain the range of suitable amplifiers; the X5s have a sky-high sensitivity of 97db, suitable for virtually any amplifier.

·       Multi-driver speakers present integration issues; the X5s have a rare and remarkable, wide-range AMT tweeter that extends into the mid-band, making the critical transition between mids and highs far less noticeable.

For these reasons and more, the Spatial Audio X5s look and sound like the future.

Russell

doggie

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2021, 05:53 pm »
Thanks Clayton. I googled Russell. He has a very impressive career history and is also a well published writer.

He is certainly accurate regarding the X5.

Mine are just starting to open up and are already great.

Best,
Paul

franSSS

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2021, 12:58 pm »
 :popcorn: Thank you for Sharing Clayton.

Yep a lovely review indeed!

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2021, 03:24 pm »
I think that just solidified my belief that at some point, when the timing is right, I'll have X5's in my space. That time is getting closer.

glfrancis

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2021, 06:15 pm »
Fantastic review. Looking forward to getting a pair of x5...eventually

wessy

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2021, 01:23 am »
Incredible writing that brings the X5 (and, in comparison, the Sapphire M3) to life more vividly and imaginatively than anything else I’ve read about them. Bravo, Russell! And thank you for posting, Clayton.

I crave the X5’s startling clarity and the Sapphire M3’s generous sweet spot, and I’ve been reading and re-reading posts and reviews for months now hoping in vain a few owners will assure me that the X5 will in fact give me the broad sweet spot I’ve grown accustomed to, because I can’t stand the idea of going with the M3 for their generous sweet spot only to sacrifice X5-level resolution by doing so.

But it was this review that finally helped me grasp that the controlled directivity of the X5’s waveguide that gives the X5 its startling clarity by reducing room effects is what keeps the X5 from providing the more generous sweet spot I crave.

OK, so I’m slow. But at least I finally got it!  :lol:

I guess the questions for me now are, would I be sufficiently happy with the resolution and clarity the Sapphire M3 is able to deliver, or would I be willing to trade a narrower sweet spot for the greater resolution and clarity of the X5?

Hmmm….

Mr. Big

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2021, 01:45 pm »
Both models are so good you cannot go wrong, you know your room size and how far you can sit from the speakers, send Clayton a picture of your room and he will tell you which speaker would work the best. For me, the M3 Sapphires, and I can tell you they do not lack resolution and I say this coming from Quad Electrostatic speakers.

sockpit

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2021, 07:05 pm »
I own M5s and they are lacking in neither resolution nor clarity.  I'd love to own the X5s someday, but my current room is too small.  I'm about 5 feet from my M5s in a bedroom that is heavily treated.  Even so, near field makes the room and the speakers disappear gloriously.