a few questions for Lorelei owners

Chris_B

« on: 13 Oct 2004, 02:48 am »
I have been thinking of a new pair of speakers for a few weeks now and based on the great feedback here and from the RMAF, the Lorelei's are on my short list.  I am in the middle of building a new family room addition where my 2 channel set up will be setup.  Based on a new, bigger listening room and a general desire to upgrade, I am looking for a pair of speakers that deliver good bass and enjoyable mids/highs in a fair sized room (25'W x 16'D with 9' ceiling).

Since the Lorelei's are rear ported, how far from the front wall do you guys place them?  Also, how far from the sides?  Did you notice a distance where they were too close and became boomy?

I know the specs from Klaus' website has them down at 32Hz.  Has anyone run a freq sweep to see how low they go for in-room response?  All the reviews say great low freq response but I was wondering if there were any real world numbers.

Thanks very much for the help.  Any general advice or impressions you guys can share would be great.  I will likely be auditioning them with my Khartago monos sometime in the next few months.

Best,

Chris

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2004, 03:02 am »
Chris,

I don't own the Lorelei's but a friend bought the pair Klaus had at the show and we set them up last night. I don't know the measurements but I'm guessing his room is roughly the same size as yours but with a cathedral celing. We ended up putting them on a long wall, perhaps about 3 feet from the face to the rear wall or about 2 ft from the wall to the back of the speaker. I would say they are about 8ft apart and his listening position is about 10ft from the speakers, perhaps a little less.

I was stunned at how good they sounded in his room. He also bought the Stratos from Klaus at the show and even with the amp being brand new and cold they were sounding quite good. He is just getting back into audio, so I lent him a preamp to use for a while, a Transcendent Grounded Grid which is a very nice match with the Odyssey gear. I am looking forward to hearing his system in a month or so once the Stratos has some time on it.

As for bass, I don't know the numbers but they seemed to have nice tight bass with good punch. I had several people ask at the show if there was a subwoofer (I helped Klaus with his room for a few hours) as the bass was quite good.

mike

gitarretyp

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2004, 03:26 am »
Captain Humble has a pair of these listed for sale on here now. You might ask his opinion of them.

Since you're looking at the odyssey's, i might also recommend you look at the usher audio 6 series http://www.theehighend.com/. Their driver configuration and design are simlar to the loreleis. I've got the 6311s in a smaller room than yours (15.5 x 12 x 9) and am very happy with them. They provide solid bass into the mid to low 30s in my room. The larger 6381's would probably be really nice in your room.

BTW, Chris, the link to your system is actually a link to the editor for your system

Brian

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2004, 06:06 am »
Hi Chris

A little off-topic. How do you like the Khartago Monos?

Brian

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: a few questions for Lorelei owners
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2004, 07:37 am »
Quote from: Chris_B
I have been thinking of a new pair of speakers for a few weeks now and based on the great feedback here and from the RMAF, the Lorelei's are on my short list.  I am in the middle of building a new family room addition where my 2 channel set up will be setup.  Based on a new, bigger listening room and a general desire to upgrade, I am looking for a pair of speakers that deliver good bass and enjoyable mids/highs in a fair sized room (25'W x 16'D with 9' ceiling).

Since the Lorelei's are rear ported, how f ...
                                                                                                           Hi Chris, my Main Loreleis are set up much like Mike's friend all tho my room is much smaller at 11'w x 17'l x 7''h. I'm set up on the short wall 39" from the front & 18" from the sides & 8' apart with very little toe-in. I've had my Lorelei's for a year now and my head's still buried in them somewhere. :o They are a very musical and involving loudspeaker. I can walk to with a foot of center and swear that the center channel speaker is playing. You just don't that with ribbons. I have a nice tight deep bass with the Loreleis' this close to the corners but then again, I do deploy 8th Nerve Room treatment. With a larger room like yours giving the Lorelei's room to breath, I could only imagine only more of the same of what I have in my small room. Best of luck to you. :D Regards, Robin

gongos

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2004, 09:14 am »
Quote from: satfrat
I can walk to with a foot of center and swear that the center channel speaker is playing. You just don't that with ribbons.

I can walk into the middle of my VMPS 626 Ribbons, less than a foot away, and it sounds like there's a center speaker.

Chris_B

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2004, 10:12 am »
Thanks for the suggestions and info.  I have been interested in he Usher audio 6 series as well.  I will have to find a pair to demo.

Here is a review of the Khartago monos I wrote last spring:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=10851.

thanks gitarretyp  :wink:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2004, 04:47 pm »
Quote from: gongos
Quote from: satfrat
I can walk to with a foot of center and swear that the center channel speaker is playing. You just don't that with ribbons.

I can walk into the middle of my VMPS 626 Ribbons, less than a foot away, and it sounds like there's a center speaker.
I stand corrected! :lol: Regards, Robin

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2004, 06:04 am »
As always with speakers,  and especially considering synergistic matches with an amp,  (the single most important part of your system)  don't make any comments or other recommendations unless you've heard the speakers in the same chain.  Also,  room acoustics,  the biggest chunk of your sound,  period.

Late,

Klaus

Chris_B

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2004, 10:20 am »
I hear you Klaus.  I still remember when I was running a pair of current hungry speakers with a tube amp.  When I moved to your monos, the sound improved tremendously.  Bottom line, if the amp can't drive the speakers, it won't sounds good especially when you know what to listen for.