An adapter to play single ended headphones through LIO's balanced headphone out?

CarterB

I use balanced headphones mostly and ordered the LIO with the balanced out. But I've a pair of more normal headphones (3.5 mm with the 6.35mm adapter) that I'd like to see how sounds with LIO. Does anyone know of an adapter or adapter cable I can use? Searching for these is tricky as I got a lot 3-pin xlr, male/female imbalances, etc.

Thanks!

brh

I thought the headphone amp module came w/ both jacks?

CarterB

I thought the headphone amp module came w/ both jacks?

No, you have to choose which one you want. I think it is relatively easy to swap them if you get a different ended flagship headphone (or cable). But that's overkill just to listen to one night night on a different set.

Vinnie R.

No, you have to choose which one you want. I think it is relatively easy to swap them if you get a different ended flagship headphone (or cable). But that's overkill just to listen to one night night on a different set.

Hi CarterB,

There is no way real way to convert from the 4-pin XLR (balanced) headphone output to a 3-pin TRS (single-ended).  You can't
tie the L- and R- lines together to GND on the TRS jack, as you'll short out the balanced output stage on the HPA module.

I'm thinking that you can add some series resistors to the L- and R- lines before tying them to GND, but I'm not sure about how
that will work out. 

If your headphones that use the 4-pin XLR plug are ones that are something like the Senn 650, Senn 800, Audeze LCD2/3, HifiMan He-6, HE-500, HE-560, Abyss... they you might be pleasantly surprised by using a speaker out to 4-pin XLR jack - powering them from LIO's MOSFET AMP.   :eyebrows:  :weights:
(and then you'd use the LIO HPA module for single-ended out).

Vinnie

brh

Ah, okay, we're just saying different things. I knew they were two different jacks, but it makes sense to not want to swap them out constantly… got it!

musicamp

Hi CarterB,

There is no way real way to convert from the 4-pin XLR (balanced) headphone output to a 3-pin TRS (single-ended).  You can't
tie the L- and R- lines together to GND on the TRS jack, as you'll short out the balanced output stage on the HPA module.

I'm thinking that you can add some series resistors to the L- and R- lines before tying them to GND, but I'm not sure about how
that will work out. 

If your headphones that use the 4-pin XLR plug are ones that are something like the Senn 650, Senn 800, Audeze LCD2/3, HifiMan He-6, HE-500, HE-560, Abyss... they you might be pleasantly surprised by using a speaker out to 4-pin XLR jack - powering them from LIO's MOSFET AMP.   :eyebrows:  :weights:
(and then you'd use the LIO HPA module for single-ended out).

Vinnie

Hi,Can you recommend a speaker out to 4 pin xlr jack?

Vinnie R.

Hi,Can you recommend a speaker out to 4 pin xlr jack?

Hi musicamp,

Welcome to the VR forum!

I don't know who makes these - I've been making them myself:

LEFT + = PIN1
LEFT - = PIN 2
RIGHT + = PIN 3
RIGHT - = PIN 4

You might be able to get ALO Audio or Moon Audio to make this for you.

- Vinnie