Future Bryston CD Player Still A Go?

1ZIP

Re: Future Bryston CD Player Still A Go?
« Reply #120 on: 6 Aug 2016, 05:38 pm »
Not good news!

Pundamilia

« Reply #121 on: 6 Aug 2016, 07:29 pm »
I don't understand how you can add all these new product offerings and still manage to manufacture them (likely with increasing sales volumes on updates of older products), without expanding your small Peterborough facility? :?

1ZIP

« Reply #122 on: 6 Aug 2016, 11:14 pm »
They can't'…thats why the BCD 3 is now months away.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #123 on: 7 Aug 2016, 12:54 am »
I don't understand how you can add all these new product offerings and still manage to manufacture them (likely with increasing sales volumes on updates of older products), without expanding your small Peterborough facility? :?

Hi

Yes we hand build and test every product so it is a slower process than more mass produced products. Expanding is not that easy as you need well qualified people to build and test the way we do. Also some products will rise and fall in sales volume from month to month so generally we can cope but I have to admit that we have been on a bit of a tear lately.

james

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #124 on: 7 Aug 2016, 09:05 am »
Let me know when you start hiring. I am available  8)

Haurock

« Reply #125 on: 17 Aug 2016, 07:03 pm »
Hi James,

Can you be a little more precise?  Are we looking at November, December?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #126 on: 17 Aug 2016, 07:21 pm »
Hi James,

Can you be a little more precise?  Are we looking at November, December?

Hi

We have all the parts on order so I would say worse case late September early October. Also we have a lot more orders than we expected so it may slow down any new orders received.

james

techguy0192

« Reply #127 on: 17 Aug 2016, 10:08 pm »

I have also had the same thought recently.  There has been an explosion of new products and recent product updates.  I have seen this happen with another high end company (hint - blue meters) and I can't see where a large scope of products has helped; likely it just adds confusion for the consumer.

With that said.  I hope Bryston maintains the quality they are know for and continue to focus on refining products over time. 

Mag

« Reply #128 on: 9 Sep 2016, 02:41 am »
Anxiously waiting for my BCD3. :hyper:

Got my SP2 back, changed the power supply and it sounds better than ever but I have to turn the volume back a notch or two depending on the song.

So the question James is, can I run the BCD3 through the SP2 using the SP2 dac as well or should I be using 2 channel bypass?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #129 on: 9 Sep 2016, 10:25 am »
Anxiously waiting for my BCD3. :hyper:

Got my SP2 back, changed the power supply and it sounds better than ever but I have to turn the volume back a notch or two depending on the song.

So the question James is, can I run the BCD3 through the SP2 using the SP2 dac as well or should I be using 2 channel bypass?

Hi Mag

Use the Bypass. 

The advantage of an CD player is the DAC and the Clock are close to one another and are optimized at 44.1 16Bit (CD specs) which is different from an outboard DAC that has to decide what frequency is coming in and re-clock accordingly with the potential of more jitter than the CD player setup.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #130 on: 10 Sep 2016, 11:53 am »
hey james, what are the dimensions of the unit as well as the weight...also, isthe output stage similar to that of the preamps or different. in addition, how good is the unit as reading scratched discs...futhermore, will the price go up after ces...finally, how does the new unit compare to the bcd1...

ps: does the unit upsample, if not why not?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #131 on: 10 Sep 2016, 12:43 pm »
hey james, what are the dimensions of the unit as well as the weight...also, isthe output stage similar to that of the preamps or different. in addition, how good is the unit as reading scratched discs...futhermore, will the price go up after ces...finally, how does the new unit compare to the bcd1...

ps: does the unit upsample, if not why not?

pssst....based on your Qs,....you might wanna hang on to your BDA-1 and BCD-1.
 :green: 8)    for now.

vegasdave

« Reply #132 on: 10 Sep 2016, 04:03 pm »
pssst....based on your Qs,....you might wanna hang on to your BDA-1 and BCD-1.
 :green: 8)    for now.

i don't have either unit, sorry to say...i have a modest onkyo dx-7555 cd player(discontinued) lol.

i want to have my system be all bryston except for the speakers. and maybe some cables like interconnects..i do have the bryston speaker cable which is excellent especially at the price .i paid quite a bit for the speakers and i'm not selling them at the moment..so there you go on that one. however, the t's are awesome, no doubt...

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #133 on: 11 Sep 2016, 06:59 pm »
hi, Mag!

here is a very good statement why a cd-player like the BCD-3 is superior:

But it's not really physical distance is it? The all-in-one CD 'player' doesn't use the S/PDIF transfer of data and clock. The player is a synchronous system where jitter is essentially non-existent. The clock responsible for retrieving the data as it comes from the CD itself is also responsible for the D/A conversion process so there's no discrepancy between the master clock and any of its derivatives. In this regard the CD player is superior. It can't be beat.

this was written by brucek.  :thumb:

al.

Wellmanad

« Reply #134 on: 12 Sep 2016, 07:14 pm »
Hi, very interested in the new player, any idea please on cost in UK post Brexit? I would be interested in pre-ordering too.

Kerin.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #135 on: 12 Sep 2016, 07:42 pm »
Hi, very interested in the new player, any idea please on cost in UK post Brexit? I would be interested in pre-ordering too.

Kerin.

Hi Kerin

Not sure what the price will be in the UK but check with PMC.

UNITED KINGDOM

The Professional Monitor Company Limited
Holme Court, Biggleswade SG18 9ST, United Kingdom
Ph: +44 (0)1767 686300
Email: tom@pmc-speakers.com
www.bryston.co.uk

james

Wellmanad

« Reply #136 on: 12 Sep 2016, 08:53 pm »
Thank you for that James, does that mean they will have an eta as well as a price possibly?
Also, as I understand it is a bda3 with an internal drive will it have usb for streaming?; and how do you expect it to perform against external high end transports connected to a bda3?

Cheers, Kerin.

vegasdave

« Reply #137 on: 13 Sep 2016, 03:06 pm »
Thank you for that James, does that mean they will have an eta as well as a price possibly?
Also, as I understand it is a bda3 with an internal drive will it have usb for streaming?; and how do you expect it to perform against external high end transports connected to a bda3?

Cheers, Kerin.
good question...

vegasdave

« Reply #138 on: 13 Sep 2016, 03:16 pm »
So this is the type that use D-D over sampling to 'upscale' data and then feed the data to a non-over sampling DAC for better sound quality?

In short, similar in theory to a bank busting dcs combo?

i would to know too, please...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #139 on: 13 Sep 2016, 03:45 pm »

Cheers, Kerin.

Hi Kerin

Yes the new CD3 is essentially a BDA-3 with an added drive.  If you just want the best CD quality (44.1K/16Bit) - no high resolution required (192/24 or DSD) - then the CD Player is the best choice.

james