RMAF came a little early this year.

Pez

RMAF came a little early this year.
« on: 27 Sep 2011, 10:22 pm »
Wayne just dropped off something very intriguing to me.  :wink:

I have been given the honor to finish breaking the Ulysses before the show. These are the Ulysses that Lou is using in his room for the show. They are a customers pair, so I am very lucky to get a first listen on these. Let me say first off, the craftsmanship of these speakers is beyond reproach. They look like heirlooms. Something that will last and be handed down for generations. Second let me say they sound very good for a set of speakers I literally just unboxed.

Way more to come later.  :thumb:

PeteG

Re: RMAF came a little early this year.
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2011, 12:18 am »
They look awesome, what is the sensitivity of the Ulysses.

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2011, 12:23 am »
97 dB I think...

I've got my 5 watt SET amp hooked up to them and it gets very loud without sounding strained at all.  :o

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2011, 01:01 am »
Pez, those are gorgeous.  Hope my schedule works out and I can make it to RMAF to hear them.
Mark

kgturner

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2011, 01:26 am »
That sure is a pretty weimy! The speakers are pretty nice looking too.

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2011, 01:27 am »
Here are a couple of shots of another speaker you can hear at RMAF

These are MY PERSONAL speakers that will be playing in the ModWright room.

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:54 am »
Veerry nice Jason, kinda like the year I had one of Bill Baker's amps before the show for a few weeks.  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2011, 04:01 am »
Nice....very nice !! I look forward to hearing both pairs.... :beer:

Pez

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2011, 04:58 am »
That sure is a pretty weimy! The speakers are pretty nice looking too.

OT I know, but this beautiful dog was just wandering around when I was up in the mountains a few years back. Guess it's owner just lets him roam free. Gorgeous dog!

On Topic: Friday I'm heading over to Waynes to hear the Athenas later this week. I'll be reporting back on those as well. It's a lot of fun having the Ulysses in my house. It's rare to be able to audition a speaker of this caliber in your own setup. I feel very fortunate to be able to.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2011, 03:49 am »
Very cool. See you later this week.

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2011, 02:40 am »
Lou came into town today. All the signs aligned and I was able to pick him up at the airport the same time I dropped my daughter off.

She is a recent grad from Mizzou and this weekend is their 100th homecoming  :o

We were also fortunate enough that the display room was ready so we were able to move all the gear in today instead of fighting for the elevators tomorrow.

Lou and I then drove over to Pez' place and picked up the Ulysses. Did Pez mention that he lives on the 2nd floor of a building with no elevator? The old farts carried the VERY HEAVY speakers while the young punk just looked on.  :lol:

We then went over to my place to pick up the Athenas. All load in was done by 7 pm.

Tomorrow is set up and tuning. Maybe the youngster might come by to help  :wink:

Pez

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2011, 08:33 pm »
I'm great at supervising. Can't wait to get over there!! Tonight hopefully.

Pez

« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2011, 05:18 am »
OK, so Yesterday Wayne and Lou came by to pick up the Ulysses from my house. I told Lou I would give a little blurb about what I thought about the experience. I plan on doing a more full review later, but for now I just want to say a few things.

For one, I have always been and continue to be amazed at how damned efficient these speakers are. No horns, no trick cabinet loading, no giant baffles or other 'tricks', but 97 dB efficiency from a 3 way speaker... That's incredible. I have been driving them with a 5 watt SET amp that by all rights doesn't belong with a speaker of this complexity. I use the very same amp to run JUST the midrange section in my speakers. Yet the Ulysses can honestly and effectively be run with 5 watts assuming you don't want ridiculous SPL you will never feel cheated.

The Ulysses have the most amazing cabinet work I have ever seen in any speaker period. Lou is a master craftsman. If you're at RMAF you owe it to yourself to just get a glimpse of them. No one else at the show comes close in my experience.

The sound- Dark, very rich... Very VERY full sounding. The balance of these speakers are, in a word, bold. There's no other way to describe the voicing. They are not afraid to present a wonderfully full, and confident sound that most manufacturers shy away from in fear of such a sound exposing flaws or inabilities within the speaker. Not the Ulysses.

Any way it is my experience every single year I go to RMAF that at least one of the rooms that Daedalus is present in is among the top 5 in sound quality. I am looking forward to hearing them all this year!  :thumb: