NuPrime IDA-16

Samac

NuPrime IDA-16
« on: 30 Mar 2017, 06:18 pm »
Hello, NuPrime Circle,

I'd like to ask a question. Here are the details:

I have  large room 28'x26'x11'ft. I'm using a ported three-way four driver speaker (two 6 1/2" woofers) with a low of 2.9ohms in the lower mids and bass. I'm looking for big tone and room filling sound with an ease to the presentation whether listening or watching a movie.

I want an integrated and the IDA-16 looks like the way to go but I wanted to get feedback from NuPrime owners or those at NuPrime to validate my choice. Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers,

Scott

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: NuPrime IDA-16
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2017, 08:27 pm »
Scott -

I have personal experience with the NuPrime products from the IDA-8 all the way through the line. I use them in development and amp comparison with my speakers. The IDA-16 is a GREAT integrated amp. That said .....

You have a HUGE room. I know a lot of people who would die or a room of that volume. That kind of space really allows for an ideal speaker set-up to get that sense of "air" in imaging etc. (Yes to those who comment about 28 and 26 being about the same - it does create some harmonics but for anything reasonable it's better than many rooms I'm typically used to dealing with...)

So what would help me and everyone in this threat would be to know more about your speakers. Also - you refer to big tone and room filling sound. I know what I mean by that for me - but I don't know what that means for you.

My experience suggests that 100 watts per channel in a room that large requires an efficient speaker if you want really loud volumes. And I can pretty much say if you want loud movie sound effects (LFE) that you need a sub. 6 1/2" woofers simply don't move enough air to do that in such a large room. Where did you source the 2.9 ohm spec?

I hope you don't mind all the questions. I just want to make sure that I and anyone else can help you have the best sound as possible in your room.

Mark

Samac

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2017, 09:17 pm »
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2017, 11:15 pm by Samac »

Samac

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2017, 09:19 pm »
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2017, 11:14 pm by Samac »

Samac

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2017, 09:20 pm »
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2017, 11:12 pm by Samac »

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2017, 09:37 pm »
Mark,

Great post, thanks. The room is a typical open floor plan (great room, dining, kitchen). We do have a partial wall of about 14' that is open at the top into the kitchen (makes it nice that we don't have to keep the kitchen spotless

Hello, Samac -

Sounds to me like you have an area that will focus on your music and film use. I'm guessing the flat screen between the speakers. Will the front speakers be between 6 to 8 feet apart? Will you be about 8 feet away from the TV? I'm making some assumptions here.

Mark

Samac

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2017, 09:57 pm »
Hey, Mark,

Sorry, that's only a fraction of my post. I sent it twice, thinking that it would fully load after moderation. I'll try to send it again on my iPad. If it doesn't go through I'll re-type on my laptop.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Cheers,

Scott

Samac

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2017, 09:58 pm »
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2017, 10:59 pm by Samac »

Samac

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2017, 10:06 pm »

Samac

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2017, 10:10 pm »

Samac

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2017, 10:57 pm »
Mark,

Great post, thanks. The room is a typical open floor plan (great room, dining, kitchen). We do have a partial wall of about 14' in length that is open at the top into the kitchen (makes it nice that we don't have to keep the kitchen spotless :D). Unfortunately ideal speaker placement isn't an option but it's not bad. The back of the speakers are 18" off the front wall, the right speaker is 3' off the side wall and the left speaker in free space.

By big tone I mean that music, intsruments and vocals sound natural. To expound in room filling: I sit 14' from the speakers so I'm looking for the music to "reach' me better when I'm listening to music. On the movie side of things I'm looking for an amp that I don't have to worry about the amp being under-powered. I'm not looking for THX ref. sound. For movies and music I would like to hit mid to upper 90dbs (which would make for about 90db peaks at my listening position). The LFE frequencies I'm not concerned with (although a sub would be nice down the road).

I'm using Bowers and Wilkins 683 S2 speakers. The 2.9 0hm low is from Stereophile measurements. Hope this helps. If you need any more info, let me know. Thanks.

Cheers,

Scott

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2017, 01:21 am »
Mark,

Great post, thanks. The room is a typical open floor plan (great room, dining, kitchen). We do have a partial wall of about 14' in length that is open at the top into the kitchen (makes it nice that we don't have to keep the kitchen spotless :D ). Unfortunately ideal speaker placement isn't an option but it's not bad. The back of the speakers are 18" off the front wall, the right speaker is 3' off the side wall and the left speaker in free space.

By big tone I mean that music, intsruments and vocals sound natural. To expound in room filling: I sit 14' from the speakers so I'm looking for the music to "reach' me better when I'm listening to music. On the movie side of things I'm looking for an amp that I don't have to worry about the amp being under-powered. I'm not looking for THX ref. sound. For movies and music I would like to hit mid to upper 90dbs (which would make for about 90db peaks at my listening position). The LFE frequencies I'm not concerned with (although a sub would be nice down the road).

I'm using Bowers and Wilkins 683 S2 speakers. The 2.9 0hm low is from Stereophile measurements. Hope this helps. If you need any more info, let me know. Thanks.

Cheers,

Scott

OK - good input, thanks. Your right speaker is going to have a bit if a rise in bass response due to the side wall. If you can move it left a few feet that will help. I don't know how wide apart the speakers are but here are a few ratios: 1:1 is critical near field style listening. 1:1.5 is the traditional spot where the engineer masters the sound for a film. 1:2 is a further laid back kind of sound. Think of a tic-tac-toe set up - front/center/back. Is your head 14' from the front of the speaker? Is there space behind you to the back wall so you don't have muddy sounds due to bass loading at the back of the room?

As for the power. The BW speaker is average efficiency at 89 dB as is my Eddie reference. He can play loud with 100 watts. Above that it's really an extension of dynamics and headroom. That said, bass uses most of the power. If you get a sub and crossover at 80 Hz, 24 dB/octave you will get that movie low end as well as the extension on well-recorded music. AND that sub takes the load away from the BW and amp to sound best above 80. You will hear a smoothness with less strain, more dynamics and pick up more headroom. I suggest using the system without a sub to begin. Mind you when you go to choose a sub you'll have to match the quality of the BW unless you're only using LFE that is less picky with movies. I'd start with a single 15" in your room and go from there.

Mark

Samac

« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2017, 02:17 pm »
Mark,

Thanks for the reply. My speakers are 7' apart and the back wall is 10' behind me. I can't change this set-up. I'm using a 50 watt integrated now; And for low to medium volumes it is satisfying. I'm hoping the 200 watts of the IDA-16 will enable me to enjoy higher spls at my listening position and control my speakers well and add a more ease to the music.

In the future I may add a sub for LFE movie effects and for filling in the sub 30hz range for music. I understand your point of a sub and crossing over at 80hz but I really would rather just listen to the B&Ws on their own for music. They do have outstanding bass.

Cheers,

Scott

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2017, 04:43 pm »
Mark,

Thanks for the reply. My speakers are 7' apart and the back wall is 10' behind me. I can't change this set-up. I'm using a 50 watt integrated now; And for low to medium volumes it is satisfying. I'm hoping the 200 watts of the IDA-16 will enable me to enjoy higher spls at my listening position and control my speakers well and add a more ease to the music.

In the future I may add a sub for LFE movie effects and for filling in the sub 30hz range for music. I understand your point of a sub and crossing over at 80hz but I really would rather just listen to the B&Ws on their own for music. They do have outstanding bass.

Cheers,

Scott

From what you have said - everything sounds really good. I think the added power with the NuPrime will give you a lot of headroom - but you will most likely hear a lot of detail you might have been missing. As for the sub I'm with you. Just the main speakers sound very coherent. When adding a sub matching requires a lot of attention. When you get there jump back on the forums about that. Have a great weekend and don't ask for any advice on April Fools Day LOL

Samac

« Reply #14 on: 31 Mar 2017, 05:35 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Mark. I was in the Evoke circle (fantastic looking speakers, btw). I happened to read the thread where you mentioned going from a 100 watt NuPrime integrated to the STA-9 and hearing an appreciable difference Int presentation. That what I'm hoping for if I go with the IDA-16 :)

I'm using an Arcam A19 integrated with the Arcam rDAC. The Arcam has a fantastic preamp section with the best volume control I've used. It's been very hard finding a relatively affordable integrated with more power that has as good of a pre section as my Arcam. What struck me when reading about the IDA-16 was the attention paid to the preamp section of it.

Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend yourself and I'll look out for April Fools jokes. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2017, 05:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Mark. I was in the Evoke circle (fantastic looking speakers, btw). I happened to read the thread where you mentioned going from a 100 watt NuPrime integrated to the STA-9 and hearing an appreciable difference Int presentation. That what I'm hoping for if I go with the IDA-16 :)

I'm using an Arcam A19 integrated with the Arcam rDAC. The Arcam has a fantastic preamp section with the best volume control I've used. It's been very hard finding a relatively affordable integrated with more power that has as good of a pre section as my Arcam. What struck me when reading about the IDA-16 was the attention paid to the preamp section of it.

Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend yourself and I'll look out for April Fools jokes. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

I don't want to compare one product to another. That can get pretty sticky. But I can say from personal experience that you should achieve your goal. I look forward to your response when you hear the BW with the NuPrime.

Samac

« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2017, 07:01 pm »
Thanks, appreciate the insight. I will post my impressions. I'm looking forward to it.

Samac

« Reply #17 on: 31 Mar 2017, 11:13 pm »
Ok, Mark helped me with great advice and insight. I've spent the past week researching and I have to say I'm impressed.

Now it's time for other NuPrime owners in general and IDA-16 owners in particular to encourage me towards a purchase with stories of satisfied ownership; Of the reliability of NuPrime products and the support that NuPrime offers. :thumb:

I've enjoyed reading the reviews but there's much value in reading about the experiences of satisfied customers.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

Scott

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #18 on: 1 Apr 2017, 12:01 am »
Ok, Mark helped me with great advice and insight. I've spent the past week researching and I have to say I'm impressed.

Now it's time for other NuPrime owners in general and IDA-16 owners in particular to encourage me towards a purchase with stories of satisfied ownership; Of the reliability of NuPrime products and the support that NuPrime offers. :thumb:

I've enjoyed reading the reviews but there's much value in reading about the experiences of satisfied customers.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

Scott

Hello, Scott.

If you check the other many threads in the Nuprime circle, you will discover many owners' positive comments, I think. If memory serves me, there have not been as many IDA-16 comments as there have been for the IDA-8, ST-10, or the MCH K38 amps.

Personally, I cannot speak to the IDA-16's sound as I have not heard it, but I own both an IDA-8 and an ST-10. I'm delighted with both for different reasons. I bought the IDA-8 initially for my vacation home. Now, it's my travel amp that accompanies my wife and me across N. America. The ST-10 replaced the IDA-8 in my vacation home (along with a new preamp and new DAC). The ST-10 very much suits my needs.

Regards,

Michael

P.S. I have had the pleasure of meeting Mark. Rest assured, he knows a lot about audio and a helluva lot about speakers. His Eddies sound great!

Samac

« Reply #19 on: 1 Apr 2017, 12:27 am »
Hello, Scott.

If you check the other many threads in the Nuprime circle, you will discover many owners' positive comments, I think. If memory serves me, there have not been as many IDA-16 comments as there have been for the IDA-8, ST-10, or the MCH K38 amps.

Personally, I cannot speak to the IDA-16's sound as I have not heard it, but I own both an IDA-8 and an ST-10. I'm delighted with both for different reasons. I bought the IDA-8 initially for my vacation home. Now, it's my travel amp that accompanies my wife and me across N. America. The ST-10 replaced the IDA-8 in my vacation home (along with a new preamp and new DAC). The ST-10 very much suits my needs.

Regards,

Michael

P.S. I have had the pleasure of meeting Mark. Rest assured, he knows a lot about audio and a helluva lot about speakers. His Eddies sound great!

Thanks for the reply, Michael.

You've hit in something I've noticed; That there isn't as much talk/activity about the IDA-16. Although I gather from the reviews and the few owner comments that it is a fine amp.

I'm In a tough spot because I would prefer an all in one solution and the IDA-8, while I am sure is an excellent amp, I'm unsure if it could completely handle my big room and speakers.

Yours is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I'm hoping some IDA-16 owners might chime in. I have read many older post with satisfied owners but it's nice to read new posts from owners that continue to be satisfied.

Yes, Mark's speakers look outstanding. What I'd give to hear the Alex in my room.

Thanks again, Michael, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Scott