Soundirok App

Camper

Re: Soundirok App
« Reply #120 on: 1 Apr 2017, 05:04 pm »
I'm using iPad Pro 9.7 inch for Soundirok.  It loads really quickly and can switch from BDP-2 to BDP-1 within seconds.  I also have an old iPad 3 and the album art is a little slow to show up. iPad Pro it's instant.  Also have iPhone 6 and it's really quick. Processor makes a huge difference. 

NorthMac

« Reply #121 on: 2 Apr 2017, 05:14 pm »
I'm on a 3rd gen iPad too; good to know when I eventually upgrade that the speed will increase.  My only observation now with Soundirok is that it seems to use the AlbumArtist metadata tag whenever it refers to "Artist", and unlike the Bryston app, I can't see any way to have it ignore AlbumArtist and just use my "Artist" tags (because I did not thoroughly scrub the AlbumArtist tag as I did Artist). 

Also, I notice that many (not all) of my source FLAC file folders now have two new files - labelled bdp_front_44 and bp_front_250. They are essentially a 44x44 and 250x250 pixel re-naming of the Folder.jpg file which is in each FLAC folder.   Does anyone know if these are part of the Bryston Max app database, or is Soundirok putting these new files there?  Weird that they are not in every folder...

XMAN

« Reply #122 on: 2 Apr 2017, 07:05 pm »
I'm on a 3rd gen iPad too; good to know when I eventually upgrade that the speed will increase.  My only observation now with Soundirok is that it seems to use the AlbumArtist metadata tag whenever it refers to "Artist", and unlike the Bryston app, I can't see any way to have it ignore AlbumArtist and just use my "Artist" tags (because I did not thoroughly scrub the AlbumArtist tag as I did Artist). 

Also, I notice that many (not all) of my source FLAC file folders now have two new files - labelled bdp_front_44 and bp_front_250. They are essentially a 44x44 and 250x250 pixel re-naming of the Folder.jpg file which is in each FLAC folder.   Does anyone know if these are part of the Bryston Max app database, or is Soundirok putting these new files there?  Weird that they are not in every folder...

I believe Bryston adds the additional lables

Krutsch

« Reply #123 on: 2 Apr 2017, 11:09 pm »

Yes, Bryston's Manic Moose software creates these thumbnails for the web view.

Marius

« Reply #124 on: 3 Apr 2017, 07:22 am »
Yes, Bryston's Manic Moose software creates these thumbnails for the web view.
Yes, which isn't a very nice attitude of MM, since several other apps use the same files/folders and these Bryston files are cluttering the folders. I like my music files to be safe from apps writing and deleting from them. I solved this by not giving MM writing-right on my NAS, only reading. Can't help it from writing to the attached USB drives though, other than disabling the Bryston DB, i think.

If MM needs these smaller thumbs, it should store them in a separate folder being used by the BDP only and not in the central store.
Btw, imagine an error taking place, and all of your Music storage would be compromised.
 Cheers,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #125 on: 3 Apr 2017, 12:42 pm »

Btw, imagine an error taking place, and all of your Music storage would be compromised.
 Cheers,
Marius

:duh:

Marius

« Reply #126 on: 3 Apr 2017, 03:17 pm »

Latest firmware is aware of this apparently. Still, "doesn't attempt if read only" doesn't really help, does it? It should write elsewhere. Always.
Cheers,
Marius

NorthMac

« Reply #127 on: 3 Apr 2017, 05:03 pm »

Latest firmware is aware of this apparently. Still, "doesn't attempt if read only" doesn't really help, does it? It should write elsewhere. Always.
Cheers,
Marius

Yes I would have to agree with you Marius; this is why I posted the query, as I did think maybe it was Soundirok app since it seemed to struggle a bit while constantly re-drawing album art (when the now-abandoned MPad seemed to be almost instant).  I think it is just bad form to write to the client's data folder structure.  I thought the "scratch drive" concept was to achieve the same thing, where you designate a piece of your drive for art - this is more acceptable.  But I admit I do not follow Bryston firmware closely, and update only once in a while, so I could have easily missed some change in approach. 

Marius

« Reply #128 on: 3 Apr 2017, 05:49 pm »
Yes I would have to agree with you Marius; this is why I posted the query, as I did think maybe it was Soundirok app since it seemed to struggle a bit while constantly re-drawing album art (when the now-abandoned MPad seemed to be almost instant).  I think it is just bad form to write to the client's data folder structure.  I thought the "scratch drive" concept was to achieve the same thing, where you designate a piece of your drive for art - this is more acceptable.  But I admit I do not follow Bryston firmware closely, and update only once in a while, so I could have easily missed some change in approach.

Indeed the scratch drive was used for that before, but Chris changed this some iterations ago. I've mentioned this many moons ago, but it was never changed. Chris did write the tool to erase all remnants to tidy up, which I used and never needed afterwards since I've stopped using the Bryston dB.

Hope Chris can change the way this works again to leave the users data folder being just that.
Cheers
Marius

Camper

« Reply #129 on: 3 Apr 2017, 10:09 pm »

Ok here is what I did that worked really nice.  I download a fresh copy of my music files to my ssd drive.  These files did not contain any of the files that you mentioned above.  DO NOT ENABLE BRYSTON DATABASE.  This prevents the files from being added to your files.  You can't use artist view. (See below) but the Soundirok app works perfectly using the Folder.jpg files.  When playing a song on Bryston interface my album art is displayed properly.  Hopefully you have copy of your music files without the added files. It's really time consuming to remove them manually.  I rarely use the Bryston interface so not a real problem. Good luck.  Hope it works.

Album art displayed using Bryston interface.

Artist view with Bryston database disabled.

Krutsch

« Reply #130 on: 3 Apr 2017, 10:25 pm »

Ok here is what I did that worked really nice.  I download a fresh copy of my music files to my ssd drive.  These files did not contain any of the files that you mentioned above.

Pro tip: sync your files onto your SSD drive (for the BDP) from your primary or backup drive using an app like GoodSync.

This app allows you to configure filters (include and/or exclude) which allows you to update your SSD drive by only copying new/changed files ...AND... to ignore generated bryston images, et al., to speed up the database update after adding new music.

My Filters list looks as follows:

dznutz

« Reply #131 on: 4 Apr 2017, 07:38 pm »
Why cant I find firmware s2.33?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #132 on: 4 Apr 2017, 08:18 pm »
Why cant I find firmware s2.33?

Firmware revisions ending with an odd value (ie S2.33) are considered testing builds, version of the firmware containing new features/fixes that have only seen limited in house testing and as such not apparently made available to the public.  That is not to say we don't want the general public using these builds, we infact do as its generally a really good way to uncover bugs or other things we didn't think of.  To install it follow the instructions found on this page, although keep in mind the aforementioned.

http://support.bryston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=248

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #133 on: 4 Apr 2017, 08:27 pm »
Indeed the scratch drive was used for that before, but Chris changed this some iterations ago. I've mentioned this many moons ago, but it was never changed. Chris did write the tool to erase all remnants to tidy up, which I used and never needed afterwards since I've stopped using the Bryston dB.

Hope Chris can change the way this works again to leave the users data folder being just that.
Cheers
Marius

We did just added an option to suppress the file creation of bryston db, but many people do find it handy even if there using a 3rd party client.  Those that find it hand its usually because a consistent file name for the cover art hasn't been used, the Bryston DB automates this task.  It also makes the copied cover art a consistent size that most would consider ideal for browsing, this has generally increases the performance.  For those that want to get rid of those extra files that why we created librarydoctor.php

Cheers,
Chris

Krutsch

« Reply #134 on: 5 Apr 2017, 12:53 am »
We did just added an option to suppress the file creation of bryston db, but many people do find it handy even if there using a 3rd party client.  Those that find it hand its usually because a consistent file name for the cover art hasn't been used, the Bryston DB automates this task.  It also makes the copied cover art a consistent size that most would consider ideal for browsing, this has generally increases the performance.  For those that want to get rid of those extra files that why we created librarydoctor.php

Cheers,
Chris

FWIW, since this is a Soundirok discussion thread, Soundirok ignores the Bryston generated files, as long as you are using some other standard name for your album art in the app settings, like folder.jpg.

The Bryston generated thumbnails are too small to be ideal for the app, unless you are browsing on a phone. My folder.jpg files are large (1k x 1k) and Soundirok has no problem quickly loading/cashing/displaying these images. And they look really nice on an iPad.

Marius

« Reply #135 on: 5 Apr 2017, 07:29 am »

Cheers,
Chris

Sure, Chris, as mentioned in my post.

Why don't you point the creation of these bryston files to the scratch drive, or the internal user drive, or, if it must really be elsewhere, on at least a separate Bryston folder on one of the user drives. It used to be that way didn't it?

That way one can 1) keep the data drives clean from anything else but Data/Music, 2) use these folders without issues by other programs/apps, and 3) be assured they will never be compromised by image creating software as an extra but ever so important bonus.
There really shouldn't be any files created by the managing software in these folders. Only content. Imagine all apps doing so  :nono: .

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #136 on: 5 Apr 2017, 01:13 pm »
FWIW, since this is a Soundirok discussion thread, Soundirok ignores the Bryston generated files, as long as you are using some other standard name for your album art in the ap

They worked just fine for me.and others, not sure why it didn't work for you

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #137 on: 5 Apr 2017, 01:15 pm »

Why don't you point the creation of these bryston files to the scratch drive, or the internal user drive, or, if it must really be elsewhere, on at least a separate Bryston folder on one of the

Because if I didn't, third party mpd clients wouldn't be able to use them, see previous post

XMAN

« Reply #138 on: 5 Apr 2017, 02:08 pm »
I find my ipad mini crashing all the time with Soundirok and load the art is very slow not sure whats going on i tried all setting configurations.

Marius

« Reply #139 on: 5 Apr 2017, 03:27 pm »
Because if I didn't, third party mpd clients wouldn't be able to use them, see previous post

Hi Chris

Since when did 3D party mpd clients start using the bdp_x.jpg files? I wasn't referring to the standard cover.jog or folder.jpg files, only to MM generated image files.

All clients I've used so far use these, I've even managed Soundirok to successfully show the cover.jpg ;-)