Power conditioner

Benb

Power conditioner
« on: 8 Apr 2005, 09:04 pm »
Hi,

I've been using an old Monster HTS2000 mainly as a multi-outlet powerstrip with some added benefit of surge and line conditioning.
As my system gets more resolving, I think my power is now one of the weakest links in my system.
Any thoughts on a good, reasonably (ca. $1000) priced power conditioner with multiple outlets.
I've been looking at the BPT conditioners.  Any experience or thoughts?

Thanks

TRL Sony 2000ES -> ZCable Live v3 -> Modwright SWL9.0SE -> ZCable Jazz4 -> Bottlehead Parabees (300B monoblocks) -> Analysis Plus Oval 9 -> Silverline Sonatinas (v1)

Bingenito

Power conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2005, 09:57 pm »
I think that most people would agree to get dedicated outlets first.

I have circuits for my power amps and front end. The cost of parts is minimal so while you are pulling cable pull enough for 2 or 3 dedicated outlets.

After that for around $1K Hydra 6, BPT 2.5, or Running Springs Haley (never see these used).

That is my opinion others will differ  :D

byteme

Power conditioner
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2005, 09:59 pm »
I was recently able to get hold of a BPT 3.5 signature and am exceptionally pleased with it.  Plenty of juice for everything, able to effectively separate analog and digital gear, dead quiet background, increase in resolution and dynamics.  I'm very happy.

Prior to this I'd been using Brick Wall and OneAc / Powervar Iso transformers.  When tweaked the Iso Transformers do a VERY good job for the money.  Tweaking includes, ERS cloth, vibration damping using Dynamat Extreme, upgrading the outlets to cryo'd and cryo'd internal wiring (where possible) from VH Audio and bypassing the power switch and LED's.

Good Luck!

Eric

Power conditioner
« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2005, 03:14 pm »
I have also heard good things about the power wing

scottielee

Power conditioner
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2005, 02:36 am »
i recommend the running springs audio haley ($1200, 6 outlets). it is great with tube amps (my priority). to my ears it is non-coloring, non-limiting, and very effective at noise reduction. it also improves my plasma tv's picture quality and display speed.

keep in mind that how much a line conditioner would benefit you also depends on the condition of your powerlines. i live in a 11 story apartment building in new york city, so it is night and day between plugging into my walls vs. plugging into the haley.

i previously owned the monster hts 5100, which was good, but clearly not as effective as the haley (hts 5100 is less than half the price of haley).

i have never tried balanced power conditioning. one day i will try the equi=tech, supposedly the granddaddy of balanced power conditioning.

good luck!
scottie

Jay S

Power conditioner
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2005, 03:44 am »
I am happy with my Blue Circle Music Ring MR1200 balanced power supply.  It is 1200 watts and has 3 pairs of outlets.  

I have recently learned about Equitech's Son of Q.  They are one of the pioneers in balanced power supplies.  Prices are reasonable and I like the design features, e.g. power line filters for each outlet (not just capacitors) to filter out noise from components with switching power supplies.  And, they also have a built-in RF/cable tv filter for those who want clean power and clean video signals for their video systems.  

Bolder Cable now carries Son of Q and Son of Q Jr and are offering discounts to AC members.  I have separated my audio and video systems and have been in touch about getting a Son of Q Jr down the road when they have a 220/240v model for overseas buyers like me.

pauldixonuk

Power conditioner
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2005, 07:41 am »
Not sure if these things make much difference on competantly designed equipment, but the uk magazines rate the new isotek titan above all else.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
Power conditioner
« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2005, 01:37 pm »
Having experience with many different power conditioners, I can say with confidence that  it depends.... :D

There are several factors in play.

1. your system
2. the (electronic, RF) environment in your area.  Is it urban, rural, or somewhere in between.
3. The wiring in your house, especially what's feeding your system.
4  The transformer and wiring feeding your house power
5. The unknown

I have lived in a condo within a urban area, and the Richard Gray, as well as balanced power did an excellent job there

I now live in a house in an urban, high RF area and use Z-Sleeves, heavily shielded power cords, Bybees, and a Walker Velocitor.  The Walker is reallly icing on the cake, but the other products are within your price range.

My point is, don't just ask around, everyone has their opinions and agendas (even me).  Sure you can take advice to narrow your choices.  But ultimately you need to demo products in your own system.  Good luck and have fun with it!

Mike

Lensman

Re: Power conditioner
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2005, 03:46 am »
BenB

Here's a link I stumbled upon while looking for a cost-effective alternative.
http://www.elect-spec.com/isofltr.htm#Laboratory%20Grade
Their equipment looks interesting, although I have no first-hand experience with it.  According to their specs, the laboratory grade versions have the most extensive filtering with up to 65dB reduction from 10k on up.  I'm considering one of these myself.

Lensman

Quote from: Benb
Hi,

I've been using an old Monster HTS2000 mainly as a multi-outlet powerstrip with some added benefit of surge and line conditioning.
As my system gets more resolving, I think my power is now one of the weakest links in my system.
Any thoughts on a good, reasonably (ca. $1000) priced power conditioner with multiple outlets.
I've been looking at the BPT conditioners.  Any experience or thoughts?

Thanks

TRL Sony 2000ES -> ZCable Live v3 -> Modwright SWL9.0SE -> ZCable Jazz4 -> Bottleh ...