What were your first speakers?

medium jim

Re: What were your first speakers?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Nov 2012, 05:05 pm »
No name White Van Speakers that I bought around 1973 at the South Bay Swap Meet.  They were JBL L100 Copies, but with a Piezo Tweeter.  Thought they were pretty good....about 2 years later I came into a pair of Altec Lansing VOTT's and my world as I knew it changed.   

Funny thing is that a few years after getting the VOTT's, a bought a pair of Radio Shack Minimus 7's, talk about the direct opposite.  I had the VOTT's in the living room and the Radio Shacks' in the bedroom.   

Jim

P.S. I got a real pair of L100's about a year after the white van specials and they were a leap ahead as well.  I bought a Phase Linear 700B and 2000 at about a month or so before getting the A7's and it was my first major league system.
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2013, 05:44 pm by medium jim »

Scott F.

« Reply #21 on: 14 Nov 2012, 08:27 pm »
My first speakers were DIY. They were a pull from an old Magnavox console. They were a 12" woofer and a horn. I cut plywood and made a simple sealed enclosure for them. I guess I would have been around 11-12 years old when I did that.

My first 'real' speakers were Technics SB2200s back in the mid-70s

Those thing rocked but I kept blowing tweeters. My next set was the model after the Altec Bolero 890c. Mine had two tweeters rather than the horn of the Bolero. Wish I still had them. They were a fun listen.

randytsuch

« Reply #22 on: 14 Nov 2012, 08:57 pm »
KEF Corelli
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/bas/0908/

Bought them in high school and had them for college.  At some point, I traded them to my brother for a couch, I had upgraded to Quad 57's by then

JoshK

« Reply #23 on: 14 Nov 2012, 09:06 pm »
Other than the old vintage Pioneer system my dad gave me in HS, the first pair I ever bought were VMPS RM40s. 

steve k

« Reply #24 on: 14 Nov 2012, 09:35 pm »

DCM Time Windows. I've always been a soundstage nut and was blown away by the big soundstage these threw into the room back in 1980. They were a little rolled off on top but they could rock. I still have them and they work fine.

steve k

mark funk

« Reply #25 on: 14 Nov 2012, 10:16 pm »
I guess 1973?   Pioneer R500

:smoke:

paul canady

« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:11 am »
The B.I.C. Formula 4. These babies could play as loud as your amp could go, with incredible punch. $250 or so.

Interesting design!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #27 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:21 am »
My 1st true loudspeaker was the Acoustic Research AR3a, bought & sent home while I was in Vietnam back in 1970. It was close to 2 years later before I even got to hear them. :lol: Those were the days when I had exceptional high frequency hearing,,, not any more.  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

Wicked Ace

« Reply #28 on: 3 Feb 2013, 05:34 am »
Because I was a poor student at home and my Dad was against everything rock and roll. I built a pair of speakers from Jensen coaxials (car speakers) and built boxes to house them from cardboard. I drove them from a Sony car head unit powered by a 12v supply and used an Awia cassette Walkman as my source.

mclsound

« Reply #29 on: 3 Feb 2013, 05:04 pm »

yep
tough soundstaging though

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #30 on: 3 Feb 2013, 05:15 pm »
  Fisher XP9, then Heco Hoern 5302, Dalquist 12, Mirage M3SI, Maggie 3A, Pipedream 924, there you have it. Now lusting after Analysis Omega panels with Duelund CAST crossover.

charles

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #31 on: 3 Feb 2013, 05:33 pm »
My first speakers - I scoured the salvage yard for any decent looking car speakers I could find.  Ended up with 8-10 pair of Cerwin Vega co-ax and tri-ax speakers, wired them in series/parallel, and strung them all over the room running off a Sherwood receiver. 

At the time I thought it was pretty damn awesome  :lol:

medium jim

« Reply #32 on: 3 Feb 2013, 05:41 pm »
My 1st true loudspeaker was the Acoustic Research AR3a, bought & sent home while I was in Vietnam back in 1970. It was close to 2 years later before I even got to hear them. :lol: Those were the days when I had exceptional high frequency hearing,,, not any more.  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin:

I think you speak for most of us over 50 types.  I did a sound sweep and I was aghast that I could barely hear things over 10K, that someone that most of the music is under that. 

Jim

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #33 on: 3 Feb 2013, 05:49 pm »
  At 62 I hear everything I don't hear. Don't you ?  :lol:

charles

Randy

« Reply #34 on: 3 Feb 2013, 06:46 pm »
Reading this thread makes me realize that, wow, you guys are really old. I'm right there with you. :thumb: My first speakers were a big pair of Pioneers I got while in Viet Nam. Instead of ordering in a px catalog like I should have, I schlepped the pair on my back one at a time to my hootch in 100 degree heat, but like satfrat, it was nearly a year before I heard them as I immediately had them shipped home. Didn't exactly have the digs for a hi fi system at the time. More sensibly I ordered via a catalog a Sansui receiver and a Dual turntable to mate with them when I got back "to the world."  The speakers cost $150 a pair which seemed a small fortune in those days. I left them sitting on the floor of my last apartment when I moved into a house, but by then I had a pair of Magneplanars, circa 1984. The receiver still sits on a bench in my garage, but one channel has long since blown.

Not that it matters, those speakers may have been Sansui rather than Pioneer. Been a long time and memories start to fade.
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2013, 08:13 pm by Randy »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #35 on: 3 Feb 2013, 06:52 pm »
At 19 years old, I picked up a used set of Frazier Monte Carlo's, a used Sony 355 RTR, and a new Marantz 1060 integrated.  The Fraziers were 8" two ways with dual slotted ports- similar to Klipsch in sound and effieciency.  Not a bad little rig at the time for a college kid.

Jeffreypi

« Reply #36 on: 19 Sep 2021, 07:35 am »
This is a strain on my memory, but I think the first serious speakers I had was bought in the late 70’s….JBL L88P. Still have them in storage actually.

richidoo

« Reply #37 on: 19 Sep 2021, 01:05 pm »

My first real 2 way speakers were in my "high end" Pioneer Centrex boom box, 1978.
It sounded fantastic and had line input so I ran the vinyl through it.

Then in 1982 I got Radio Shack Minimus Seven with little Onkyo Rx. Awesome little speakers.
They were a big investment at the time but worth every penny.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #38 on: 19 Sep 2021, 02:16 pm »
8” dual cone ElectroVoice driver in small corner horn cabinet driven by Heathkit 7W mono vacuum tube integrated amplifier.  Both I built myself in 7th grade. Garrard Turntable with Grado high output MC cartridge completed the system.  The cartridge was by far the most expensive part, about $125 back in the 1950s.  Excellent sound for way back then.

I took this system to college and pranked our dorm hall advisor. He had the only telephone on the floor.  I had a good sound effects record containing a telephone sound.  I would play this when I knew he was at the other end if the hall and watch him come running.🤤

I kept this setup running until the 1960s when I upgraded to Dyna MK 4 mono amps, a Dyna PAS 3 preamp, and a pair of KLH 6 speakers, Dual record changer, and added a Dyna FM-3 tuner.  All electronics vacuum tube and built myself of course.

Those were the days.

Frank

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #39 on: 19 Sep 2021, 03:09 pm »
At 19 years old, I picked up a used set of Frazier Monte Carlo's, a used Sony 355 RTR, and a new Marantz 1060 integrated.  The Fraziers were 8" two ways with dual slotted ports- similar to Klipsch in sound and effieciency.  Not a bad little rig at the time for a college kid.
I saw that almost 9 years have passed since I wrote this.  Since then, I had an opportunity to pick up a pair of these Fraziers again.  Reattached a wire to a woofer, replaced the caps, and plugged it in.  Sounded like crap.  Muddy, boomy, and lacking any of the signatures I currently like in a speaker... except efficiency.  I doesn't take much power to run it. 
But I suspect that it's like a lot of nostalgia where the memory exceeds the reality.