this is between your decappos and their stands......

gja

I thought I'd pass along a minor discovery to see if others are hip to the same tweek.

Last week the latest Mapleshade catalog arrived. In it it was suggested that blue tack or any other soft substance NOT BE put between speakers and their stands. Small hardwood plugs or buttons were suggested on the cheap, or you could purchase some beautiful brass cones for even a better job.

I happen to have some 1" aluminum cones laying around and decided to replace my blue tack with them.

The results were a definate improvement in the tightness of the lower octaves. The bass was still there, but not as soft.

Anybody try this?

Best

Andy

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2003, 09:18 pm »
I have used vibrapods, blue tak, and Black Diamond Racing Cones between my MM De Capo I's and the Osiris stands.  The cones pointed upward work the best for my room.  Definitely tightened everything up and made things a lot clearer.

cyounkman

stand coupling
« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2003, 04:26 am »
I have had bad results with vibrapods, fine results with blutack, interesting/inconclusive results with books (just to increase height)...

I haven't experimented with many other [hard] footers under the DCs, but I have with cdps and amps, and there has been a significant difference. I would expect the same to be true of the speakers, probably more so.

I am going to be trying some stands from Skylan in Calgary that use hardened magnets as couplers...

brucegel

Re: stand coupling
« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2003, 05:11 pm »
This has been a debatable issue for decades, you  know the one about should a speaker be absolutely rigidly coupled to its stand(if people really believed this than why don't speakers come with threaded inserts and bolt to the stand?).The truth as usual is somewhere in between.For example when a designer is voicing his speakers they are vibrating on his stands so that must be part of the equation.As chris mentioned blue tack is a nice between material being neither hard nor soft.

mcrespo71

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2003, 12:47 am »
you know the one about should a speaker be absolutely rigidly coupled to its stand(if people really believed this than why don't speakers come with threaded inserts and bolt to the stand?).

Actually, they do.  The JM Reynaud Trente's are threaded to couple rigidly with the stands.  Moreover, I had a friend whose B & W bookshelf speakers matching stands involved coupling as well- 3 spikes that threaded into the bottom of the speaker, so there are manufacturers that like coupling.

I can see how people may like decoupling more, but with my system, it isn't as good as coupling the De Capo I's to the Osiris stands.  As always, YMMV.

brucegel

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2003, 12:11 am »
Good to hear that some manufacturers have followed through on a particular belief about coupling.I think the osiris/bluetack is nearly the best you can do with the decap i's.

cyounkman

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2003, 01:41 am »
My old PSB Stratus Minis bolted on to their factory stands. The result was a 70 lb pillar that was a real pita to move. But, agreed: it's the best way to really 'couple'. No one's experimented with hard footers and such? Sometime I intend to...

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2003, 06:22 pm »
No one's experimented with hard footers and such? Sometime I intend to...

Don't Black Diamond Racing cones count as hard footers?

cyounkman

me no reading the good
« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2003, 08:49 pm »
oh... uh... I suppose they do. Sorry.

I'd be interested (if a bit terrified) to try symposium rollerblocks.

corina

Mapleshade Claim ?
« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2003, 06:28 am »
Hello all,
In the same catelog that mentions the Blu-Tack issue, the claim is made that speaker cables should be at least 8' in length and that a 4' cable will
sound worse than an 8' cable. Is there some logic to this claim ?
Have I missed something ?

best
dc

brucegel

Re: Mapleshade Claim ?
« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2003, 02:30 pm »
the claim is made that speaker cables should be at least 8' in length and that a 4' cable will
sound worse than an 8' cable. Is there some logic to this claim ?

Now might be a good time to say that we should be very wary of these statements.The only way to know is to try it yourself and of course who can spend extra cash testing these constantly cropping up assertions?.Short answer is no one would make these observations under normal conditions just enjoying the music and not worrying about niggling little things that cost lots of cash to change.Always look to when the comment came and from whom it or is it who it originates from... no matter.Agenda is 9/10's of motivation.Enjoy the music on your Decapos!