Latest update... low-power solid state, set's, Class T...

cyounkman

Despite my recent not-here-ness, I've been listening to a lot of very interesting gear and figure I should report a bit...

In roughly chronological order:

A few weeks ago local manufacturer Song Kim of Song Audio asked me to spend some time with his larger bookshelf monitors that are aimed right at the De Capos in terms of price, size and resolution. I naturally agreed, hoping to also score some his beautiful tube equipment... He brought over the whole line -- the 4-watt SET EL34 integrated, his 2-chassis preamp, 8w SET 300B monoblocks, all with matching 99% silver power cables. We went through all the iterations, with both speakers... Suffice it to say that I have never heard my De Capos (or any others for that matter) sound better than with the Song Audio separates... of course, that was with the GamuT in the house.  :x

Needless to say, he left with the nicest toys, but he did leave me his Type II monitors and his EL34 integrated. Living with both for a couple weeks, in conjunction with the DCs, has been a real education.

Last Saturday Anthony and I dropped off the Type IIs and the EL34 at Mr. Kim's home, and were greeted warmly and treated to several hours of fabulous sound... first a system with a pair of Loth-X two-ways and the EL34 amp; very nice sound for not much money. The big guns came out in the 'back room' system, with an Audio Analog Puccini cdp, an air-bearing, linear-tracking Oracle, and Song's separates again driving single-driver Loth-X floorstanders: incredibly natural, huge scale, etc., etc... musically involving to a rare extent.

News on the solid state frontier: Yesterday visited Executive Stereo here in TO, where they sell a number of interesting lines (including Song Audio, Synthesis, Chord, Triangle, McIntosh). We listened to a   50w ss integrated from Blue Circle, and a 25w ss integrated from Cairn. Driving the Song Audio Type IIs, which I know fairly well now (and which are only 90db), the Cairn was natural-sounding and not far from tubes in terms of tonal balance; with excellent control (some Ani DiFranco revealed excellent studio mastering), bass extension, and the gorgeous upper- and upper-upper-midrange air typical of the Type IIs at their best.

I am still trying to arrange a demo of one of the Carver ZR amps... probably a ZR1000, just so I don't have to deal with Speakon connectors. Yes, yes, stone me now.... I know 225 watts is a bit much. But think of the possibilities…

More as it happens. Anyone got a recommendation for a great cheap digital source?

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2003, 08:06 pm »
. Anyone got a recommendation for a great cheap digital source?

Hmm.  How cheap is cheap?  I think the elbow point where digital starts to get good for me is the Rega Planet.  As for really cheap stuff, I have had a Denon DCM 370 HDCD changer in my system and while not the most dynamic or detailed, it didn't sound like crap either.  I'd guess it will be a revelation to those with midfi stuff.

Does it have to be new?

Judging by your post, it looks like you are looking to replace your Hester Prin integrated.  Is this true?  

How come your dealers are so frigging nice about in home demos?  The dealers in NYC force you to buy something to demo a couple of components- at least the ones where I like the gear are like that.

cyounkman

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2003, 09:07 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
Hmm.  How cheap is cheap?

Uh... between $300 and $2500...

I think the elbow point where digital starts to get good for me is the Rega Planet.  As for really cheap stuff, I have had a Denon DCM 370 HDCD changer in my system and while not the most dynamic or detailed, it didn't sound like crap either.  I'd guess it will be a revelation to those with midfi stuff.

I'm looking for something as good as my GamuT (or very frickin' close) for as little money as possible. How's that for demanding?

Does it have to be new?

No. But it probably will be. Of all the equipment out there, the case to be made for buying new is strongest for digital.

Judging by your post, it looks like you are looking to replace your Hester Prin integrated.  Is this true?  

I've been looking to replace it for a while... I'm trying to spend very little money... hence the Carver Pro stuff. Just had a VERY interesting conversation with Dave at the factory.

Maybe I'll webcast burning my acurus at the stake...

How come your dealers are so frigging nice about in home demos? The dealers in NYC force you to buy something to demo a couple of components- at least the ones where I like the gear are like that.

The Song stuff was direct from the manufacturer, not a dealer, which is why he is so nice. Dealers here generally make you swipe the thing, then demo over a weekend.

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2003, 09:14 pm »
I'm looking for something as good as my GamuT (or very frickin' close) for as little money as possible. How's that for demanding?

Uh, that seems like a hell of a task.  Maybe a used Gamut or Wadia!!!! :lol:

Is this CD player for you?  I looked at what you tried before buying your Gamut and it seems like you've demoed most of the usual suspects.  If I had to buy a new player, I'd probably buy a Gamut as well!!!

I still think the Rega Planet's price/performance ratio would place it pretty high up on a list of cheap/quite good CD players, though it ain't a Gamut.

mcrespo71

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2003, 03:23 am »
Chris,

Those Carver Pro amps are STUPID UGLY!!!! :o

They better sound good because they look so BAD! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

From the links you posted, I may have to put my stones down and wait to hear what you think of these possible giant killer amps.  Are these for digital only systems?  It would be kind of cool to own such utilitarian amps :wink:

I can tell you know that 200 SS watts will be overkill on the MM De Capo I's, as I just listened to Sonic Frontier 275 watt tube monoblocks on the De Capo I's and they made very little difference dynamically than my VTL MB 125's run in triode at 55-60 watts per side.  In my room, the soundstage, dynamics, and imaging were pretty damn close, perhaps slightly more with the SF, but I'm not positive on that.

O

cyounkman

yes, yes... we'll put a big 'C' on this one...
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2003, 03:54 am »
Those Carver Pro amps are STUPID UGLY!!!! :o

Agreed. They are also stupid cheap, which is sort of the point. Really, what is this beautiful audio equipment thing about, anyway? I think we all know by now that even the most beautiful audio equipment is NOT going to get you laid.

Anyway, I faxed my order in to the scarlet letter factory this morning.

They better sound good because they look so BAD! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Agreed. Again, that would be the point.

From the links you posted, I may have to put my stones down and wait to hear what you think of these possible giant killer amps.  Are these for digital only systems?  It would be kind of cool to own such utilitarian amps :wink:

The utilitarian thing is interesting. More interesting is an open upgrade architecture that allows the addition of a digital crossover board, an upgraded input board (including rca inputs), etc. Even more interesting is the fact that they're reputed to sound a lot like high-end tube amps for not much money. ymmv and all the normal caveats, of course...

The Carver Pro and any other Tripath amps are not digital in the digital-like-a-CD sense... the original application of the Tripath chip was actually as a high-speed RF amplifier--in other words, the sampling rate is up in the hundreds or thousands of kilohertz. Apparently it varies according to the input signal (don't ask me how/why).

Anyway, there is no relation to S/PDIF. From what I hear, the math in getting redbook digital direct into a Tripath amp is so complex as to be ridiculously prohibitive. The amp has single-ended and balanced analog input via a single xlr input. From a hookup perspective, it's just another amp with xlr input and crappy binding posts.

I can tell you know that 200 SS watts will be overkill on the MM De Capo I's, as I just listened to Sonic Frontier 275 watt tube monoblocks on the De Capo I's and they made very little difference dynamically than my VTL MB 125's run in triode at 55-60 watts per side. In my room, the soundstage, dynamics, and imaging were pretty damn close, perhaps slightly more with the SF, but I'm not positive on that.

I quite agree... After hearing the DCs driven, finally, by a well-implemented low-power amp (the incredible-sounding Song Audio SA-300 MBs at 8 watts), I am well aware that 150 watts is far too much, to say nothing of the ZR1000's 225... But extra power certainly isn't going to hurt anything, and it's not like you're paying through the nose for the extra watts.

We shall see.

mcrespo71

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2003, 04:56 am »
I can't wait to hear what you think of these amps, Chris.  If they are as good as everyone says, I may have to buy a pair myself.  I agree that when watts are this cheap, who cares if you've got 150 extra watts lying around!  

I agree about the aesthetics thing, but most high end audio is inherently ugly to women because it is intrusive to the living space.  I think my GF would be happier with all my gear out and an Ipod in its place.  However, that said, those Carver pro amps are really, really ugly.  Most of my gear is just ugly- no Oracle turntables or Martin Logan Electrostats in my system, but the Carver stuff is a higher level of UGLY!  I guess that is part of what will make them so cool eventually (assuming the sound is as good as people are saying)!  I'd say the MM De Capo I's look pretty bad until you turn on the system.  Then they turn into beauties :wink: