New M3’s & m5

Ragnar71

New M3’s & m5
« on: 16 Jul 2019, 04:55 pm »
I hope Clayton sends a set of M3’s and M5’s to Ron at New Record Day. That’s where I first saw his speakers to begin with, plus the guy uses a varying class of amps on his reviews to give you an idea of how the speakers react with them.  I would love to see that. Help I’d love to see Clayton send the old style with them as well so Ron could compare the differences. Yeah, I know It’s easier said than done to send 10,000$ of speakers free to someone, but I can hope.

gnatster

Re: New M3’s & m5
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2019, 08:27 pm »
That's where I first found out the M3's. Purchased a pair and have been very happy. Now thinking of moving to the newer version.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2019, 09:05 pm »
Thanks fellas! Clayton and I are cooking up something and will make it work. He wont need to send me the old style of the M3s, I know those speakers by heart. Sometime in August we are planning on a Case Study so feel free to throw in some question suggestions now! What we do is for you guys so let us know what you all want to know!

kheidenr

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2019, 01:27 am »
Ron,

Awesome.  My primary interest is in the M5 as I would like to run it with a 4 Watt 2A3 amp and at 8 ohms is prob a better choice than the M3.  Here are a few things I would be interested in knowing:
1)  To your ears does having no crossover between your amps and the mid/tweeter bring incredible transparency and speed?  What do you hear?
2)  If you still have the LTA MZ3 I would love to hear what the M5's could do with 1 watt.  Even better if you have a 4 watt amp laying around  :lol: ....
3)  How do the M5 compare to the NX-Oticas as I might build a pair of those or the Super Minis or Super 7's.

Thanks!!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2019, 01:38 pm »
Ron,

Awesome.  My primary interest is in the M5 as I would like to run it with a 4 Watt 2A3 amp and at 8 ohms is prob a better choice than the M3.  Here are a few things I would be interested in knowing:
1)  To your ears does having no crossover between your amps and the mid/tweeter bring incredible transparency and speed?  What do you hear?
2)  If you still have the LTA MZ3 I would love to hear what the M5's could do with 1 watt.  Even better if you have a 4 watt amp laying around  :lol: ....
3)  How do the M5 compare to the NX-Oticas as I might build a pair of those or the Super Minis or Super 7's.

Thanks!!

A great speaker period. Try a 20W class "A" will blow you away. Audio Hungary products mate very well with M3. Can you say A20i integrated.

charles

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2019, 03:12 pm »
If you're looking at the Super mini or Super 7, then a better comparison would be the X1, X3 or X5, since all of them have self-powered bass sections.  IME, if you're looking at using a 2a3 (3 or 4 watts max), then these types of bass-powered speakers are better choices than the passive full range speakers. 

If you're really focused on the M3 or M5, you're better off getting an amp capable of more watts, like the Dennis Had Inspire Single Ended Pentode (up to 14 watts w/ a KT150), or if you can find a used Almarro A318B, it will give you 20 watts pure SET.  Or even a good quality push pull amp, like the Don Sachs Kootenay.  As you can tell, I'm a fan of amps using 6SN7s in the driver position :P 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2019, 03:48 pm »
If you're looking at the Super mini or Super 7, then a better comparison would be the X1, X3 or X5, since all of them have self-powered bass sections.  IME, if you're looking at using a 2a3 (3 or 4 watts max), then these types of bass-powered speakers are better choices than the passive full range speakers

+1  :thumb: