Platter Mat Redux

doak

Platter Mat Redux
« on: 14 Nov 2019, 08:20 pm »
Was quite active here for a period after acquiring my WTA nearly 9 years back. Platter mats were a major thread with the Auditorium A23 rising to the top of the heap fairly quickly. Then discussion and agreement on “textured side down” sounding best.
Am now using the WTA with an Ortofon A95 and getting best sound ever. I’m convinced that this TT will never be a “weak link.”
Quick search hasn’t turned up other mats that may possibly work better than the A23. Am curious as to whether anyone has turned up another mat that may be,at least, a contender.
Anyone?
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2019, 01:13 am by doak »

mick wolfe

Re: Platter Mat Redux
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2019, 03:08 am »
I've used the A23 mat (the original thin version) for several years now.  The only other mat I've compared it to is the stock mat that came with the Amadeus. I've been quite content with the  Amadeus/A23 synergy for years with no real desire to look elsewhere. In fact I've never even flipped it over to the "smooth" side  :)

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2019, 02:34 am »
I am a big fan of the Boston Audio Mat on the WTL. This was after auditioning four other mats in heads up comparisons. I suspect the unique impedance of the material may be what gives this mat both quietness yet it has the best dynamics as well? (It is not really a "mat" per say, but more of a solid graphite material that is CNC'd into it's round shape.)

Side note - I am currently using the Dynavector XX-2 and Herron's top Phono with the WTL.  :thumb:

RPM123

gagamut

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2019, 02:10 am »
I am a big fan of the Boston Audio Mat on the WTL. This was after auditioning four other mats in heads up comparisons. I suspect the unique impedance of the material may be what gives this mat both quietness yet it has the best dynamics as well? (It is not really a "mat" per say, but more of a solid graphite material that is CNC'd into it's round shape.)

Side note - I am currently using the Dynavector XX-2 and Herron's top Phono with the WTL.  :thumb:

when i measure the level of my turntable  i find my WT Amadeus platter is not exalty flat ,so i will not choose solid mat.
But i have to say,Amadeus is one of really really good turntable.
i currently use LYRA SKALA

ADiG

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2019, 05:11 pm »
I had the A23 Hommage Mat (3 mm) and after a while I realized that, looking at it from above, it didn't turn perfectly because it was slightly eccentric. It is a handmade product.
I was worried that, not being very light, it could affect the perfect rotation of the plate.
I resold it and put back the original mat of my WTA GTA which in my opinion, is doing well especially because it does not weigh anything.

Merry Christmas

https://www.facebook.com/WellTemperedLab/?ref=bookmarks