Magnepan in Southern Cal

AlTran

Magnepan in Southern Cal
« on: 20 Sep 2018, 11:40 pm »
Let me clarify this clearly, I mean no offense to anyone's gears, I'm just speaking in my honest opinion only. I am NOT looking to replace my current Odyssey speakers. Recently a friend in the East Coast keeps telling me how good his Martin Logan SummitX sounds matching with the Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks & Candela. I have listened to a few pairs of Martin Logan but at the time I think they are a great sounding speakers for Home Theater. I did hear of the ML with Krell amps, I think it sounds just ordinary, nothing that pulls me into the music. Basically what I was hearing is just clear, clean & bright or should say fatigue. With the most recent Newport Show back in June 2018 this year, I walked into the room with the Martin Logan setup & forgot what gears they have & the sound again was no difference than what I heard in the past. Everyone has different ears. Then I also heard the setup with the Fxxkentosh gears at local Best Buy store, oh well I went to Best Buy to shop for a TV not to buy speakers & amps. On the Odyssey circle where I've read many people using Maggie with Odyssey gears & the results are just amazing. I'm interested in audition the Maggie 3.7i or maybe a lower model with Odyssey gears in particular in Southern Califnornia areas.

Even though many times I had said to myself I go after the sound and not the look of the gears, but honestly I'm a greedy guy, I do care for the look & the sound at the same time. If I were to choose between the ML & Maggie, without a doubt, I like to have Maggie. I like that look better...

Is anyone here in Southern California got the ML & Maggie with Odyssey? I would like to have an audition. 

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Magnepan in Southern Cal
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2018, 02:51 am »
I don't know if this helps but when I bought my Magnepan 1.6's from Audio Perfection here in Minnesota, I was able to hear them side by side with a pair of Martin Logans and it was no contest.  Everyone in the store said they preferred the Maggies.  The Logans are light and airy with great transparency but they don't sound like live music.  Maggies  will sound more life like, have a better mid range, thicker with more musicality IMHO.  ML's are great for HT.  Now the higher end Logans sound better with music though.

Just my personal preference.

hi_watt

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2018, 06:50 pm »
Here in San Diego, we have Magnepans at Stereo Unlimited. My cousin wants to get the .7 model from that shop.

AlTran

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2018, 07:56 pm »
I.Greyhound Fan, thanks for the great info. From memories, they are bright & no emotion on the midrange.

hi_watt, I will be in San Diego next Friday. Let's see if I can swing by to check out the Maggie.

hi_watt

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2018, 05:35 pm »
Cool!  8)

jazzguy

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2018, 05:45 pm »
Al, if you are interested I have a pair of Maggie 1.7s driven by Odyssey (Suspiro, Candela, and Khartago Mono Extremes all connected with Groenenberg cables).  I am located in Irvine not far from the Marriott where the Newport Show was held.  Let me know if you are want to listen.

AlTran

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2018, 09:48 pm »
Jazzguy, thanks for the offer, let me try to make it there next weekend.

Klaus, no I don’t want to purchase either the ML or maggie. My next speakers might be either the Symphonic Line or B&W 800D3 or 802D3.

geerock

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2018, 01:24 am »
I have the 3.7i with wiring and cap mods hooked to Odyssey "all in" monoblocks.  Don Sachs pre. Modwright modded Musical Paradise tube DAC.  Anticable PC's and interconnects and my own speaker cables. It is the finest system this old guy has ever owned.  And one of the finest I've ever heard.  Simply love this combo.

A_shah

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2018, 11:14 pm »
Have a pair of Maggie 1.7i used them for about a year and a half now they sit in the garage packed, to lazy to put them on EBay, I used it with custom built Kismet amp that Klaus made specially  for the  Maggie with 32K caps and high current. Maggie's sounded GR8 with Odyssey gear , high, mid lows were incredible real life   sounding . Last Feb. 2018  I just got the itch to upgrade to the super expensive Daedalus Audio  Dynamic Speakers the Poseidon  , these speakers are 97 db efficient and sound like horns  , so I ended up getting Quicksilver 60 watt custom made pro type tube amps from Mark Sanders I purchased these threw  trial and error method of listening to at least 13 amps both SS and tube.
the Odyssey Kismet now sits idle in the rack I just fire it up once in while to listen to solid state I don't think it goes beyond 10 watts on the Poseidon's ( to much power , some people may disagree with me on this , but that is OK !)
Bottom line you will not go wrong with Maggie's 1.7i and up with the Odyssey amps you will get pretty much  linear performance :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Asghar 

Audio72

« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2018, 04:48 pm »
Al,

Did you get a chance to hear the Maggie's ? if so, how do they compare to Odyssey speakers?

Thanks,
Audo72

AlTran

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2018, 05:20 pm »
I have not have a chance to listen to the Maggie yet. The Liquids did not allow me get out of my chair. I will try to have a listen before end of month.