Closed Back Options

dox1000

Re: Closed Back Options
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jul 2022, 11:19 pm »
The Liric (closed back) and the Empyrean (open back) are my 2 favorite headphones.  They are both incredibly good.  The other headphones that Meze makes are not great, so if you're talking about the lower end stuff like the 99 Classic or 99 Neo, I agree with you, those 2 are not great.

This is going to come back to taste.  I tried the Empyrean along side the Stellia and it was no contest Focal Steliia for me.  This will be your personal experience that will give you the power to make the right choice.  I come back to my original suggestion though...audition both through the Cable Company and then you do not have to listen to a single person hear (pun intended).  You can listen for yourself.

AudioDuck

• Music. It’s all about the music.
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jul 2022, 07:00 am »
Vince,
I am new here, but not new to headphones.  TooCool is right, the Stellias are a new level.  I don't know what Beryllium tweeters are, but invest in the stuff, cuz it makes a difference. 

Finally, you can do what I did, which is call the Cable Company and "borrow" headphones.  They have a lending library where you can put down 5-10% (I do not remember) and try ANY phones they sell for a couple of weeks.  I got 4-5 different ones until I found my pair.  They then apply your rental costs to sale costs so that you are never out any money if you are serious about buying.  You really cant beat that option if you just don't know.

As someone who has both used The Cable Company’s lending library as well as shopping there several times, I highly recommend their services and selection.

They also have a great used cable selection through a sister company, should you ever need that.

I would also like to echo the sentiments about the Focal Stellia, as I’m fortunate enough to own a pair. That said, I’d also note that amp/headphone synergy makes a HUGE difference. My tube amp (details below) is a fantastic match with both my ZMF headphones, and as a result they do not lag far behind the Stellias in enjoyment factor, despite costing considerably less. 😁

Enjoy the music,
Egil

Headphones/IEMs:
Focal Stellia (Norne Einvaldi Reference); ZMF Eikon Bocote LTD (Norne Drausk); ZMF Auteur Wenge LTD (Norne Vygarde); Shure SRH-1540 (Moon Audio Blue Dragon); Shure SE425 (Moon Audio Black Dragon).

Signal chain:
Bluesound Node 2 (Wireworld Mini-Aurora PC) - Toslink DH Labs Glass Master -> Schiit Audio Gungnir MB (Wireworld Aurora PC) -> Harmonic Technology Truth-Links (RCA) -/single-ended/-> Woo Audio WA2 (Tung-Sol 7236 power tubes, RFT EZ81 rectifiers, Brimar CV4033 (+ adapter) input tubes, Wireworld Aurora PC.

On-the-go:
Sony NW-WM1A (with Mr. Walkman firmware enhancements).

Carlman

« Reply #22 on: 21 Aug 2022, 03:39 pm »
The headphones discussed so far are in the $1,k-$2,k range...
I am also looking for a closed back.. because I listen at night and just want something different than my 1More Quad IEM's.  To date I've had ADL 128's, 118's, and Sennheiser Momentums.  The best/primary is the 128.  However, it's broken.  1 side has a broken hinge and my epoxy fix doesn't seem like it's going to work.  I don't think ADL 'supports' product anymore... so no new parts. 
Edit: The epoxy is holding (somewhat... don't move!) I was able to put them on my head and compare them to the Momentum's... nothing too scientific.. but they're a little too 'crispy' for me.  Very articulate and sharp but not much 'love'.  I'll let them break-in more but I'm not sure these will be long term.

So an opportunity to buy something new seemed good. 
Based on what I've read the Dan Clark or Drop Aeon seems like a good fit, with planar drivers.. oooo ahhhh. 
The Shure SRH1540 seems like a strong contender but maybe more of a recording 'phone.
I've heard neither... and I will likely have to buy used to find out what's going on and resell per audiophile protocol. ;)

I have a portable dac/amp called a Hidizs DH80S.  I think it sounds every bit as good as a Dragonfly or something of that ilk.  It has 3 output levels (L/M/H).  Low is sufficient for everything I've tried but I swear it sounds a little better in 'm'edium. 

The Sennheiser Momentum I have are on-ear's which have a great overall sound, albeit a bit too bass heavy.  The overdone bass and the on-ear feel is uncomfortable after a while. 
The ADL 118's are missing.  If I knew where they were, I'd try them.  I know they sound 'good' but not really special.  I know they broke at one point but I was able to repair them.  How long will the fix last, though?  And can I find them?  What a cliffhanger, eh?

In any case... I'd rather have circumaural cups and something with a tad less bass... and overall not too heavy.  I've listened to Audeze and as good as they sounded, it was like wearing a cinder block on my head.. and you better not move.. or they'll fall off and break a toe. 

I liked the shape of the ADL's since they were efficiently able to cover my ears.

So, on the lower end of the scale, in the 300-600 range, what else would you recommend?  I have a wide tolerance for a headphone as long as it isn't too tipped-up in the mids or highs.  I want relaxed and detailed... the Momentums deliver much of what I want in an uncomfortable package with bloated bass.  I'd like a little more refinement and/or a soundstage of some sort, even if it's just a taste.  Do I really have to spend 2,k to get there?  I do not need full satisfaction in a headphone.. I have a huge dedicated system for 'complete satisfaction' (when listening to music).  :)

Thank you all!

Edit...
My question is basically which one of these 2?:

Drop/Dan Aeon X
Shure 1540

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 27 Aug 2022, 05:05 am »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #24 on: 27 Aug 2022, 01:14 pm »
Sundara closed back stealth magnets:
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/sundara-closed-back.html

An excellent suggestion.  While I've always thought the Audeze line sounded slightly better than comparable HiFiman models, the weight is just intolerable.  Now with a closed back design at a reasonable price, well, why would you look at anything else?  😉

Carlman

« Reply #25 on: 29 Aug 2022, 10:53 am »
The Sundara cb looks great.  I had to pull the Aeon out of my list because my amp doesn't have the current required.

One other option that keeps popping up is the Denon 5200.  I'd love to hear them all. I live near Moon-Audio. I wonder if Drew would let me try before I buy?

This month has been a big bike expense month so these may turn into a Christmas present idea. :)

driftingbunnies

« Reply #26 on: 4 Sep 2022, 08:19 pm »
What about these? Many who tried it at the Austin Schiit show bought one after trying it. It's an easy to drive headphone, light, and has solid isolation. It also doesn't require super high amplification either.

https://www.etaheadphones.com/product-page/mini-closed

Carlman

« Reply #27 on: 5 Sep 2022, 08:03 pm »
The ETA seem like a tweakers delight!
Also, they are lightweight. Major bonus in that area.
The head-fi reviews are pretty spectacular. 
This may be just the ticket for me.

OrangeAgent

« Reply #28 on: 7 Sep 2022, 06:00 pm »
I love this thread, I have been looking for a better pair of phones for the office since I listen to a lot of music but cant have any sound leakage. My Koss kph30i's punch way above their price point and look inconspicuous, but I have been looking for better. I have the open back Sundaras at home and really enjoy them through a D50 DAC and Atom amp. They are a little clinical and the bass could be more full although they have decent extension, but I miss them when im using my Koss/Dragonfly Red combo at work.

I had resigned myself to an IEM solution as that seemed to be the only option for high quality sound while not looking ridiculous at work with some big cans on my head. There are some solid options in here I had not considered so thanks all for the contributions.

I will say that when I cover the backs of my Sundaras the sound goes all to pot, and while clearly the upcoming closed version would be voiced differently, i am not sure that their magic would be the same without the open back element.

Carlman

« Reply #29 on: 15 Sep 2022, 11:27 pm »
I bought the ETA's. Right out of the box I can tell these are keepers. Very natural sound, well voiced, and comfortable. Also, pretty easy to drive.
I plan to let them play overnight and start comparing to what I have... I'm thinking my Hidzis DAC may not stay though.. I don't like the Sabre sound.  I like the detail, but I want a more rounded presentation of them. I'm open to suggestions on a portable DAC.

VinceT

« Reply #30 on: 16 Sep 2022, 01:16 am »

Finally, you can do what I did, which is call the Cable Company and "borrow" headphones.  They have a lending library where you can put down 5-10% (I do not remember) and try ANY phones they sell for a couple of weeks.  I got 4-5 different ones until I found my pair.  They then apply your rental costs to sale costs so that you are never out any money if you are serious about buying.  You really cant beat that option if you just don't know.

Hope this helps.

That is a tremendous idea, thank you

dox1000

« Reply #31 on: 24 Oct 2022, 06:52 pm »
Check back here and tell us what you decide....also let me know if the Cable Co was still as great as I remember it...
Good luck and happy listening!

dox1000

« Reply #32 on: 24 Oct 2022, 07:16 pm »

Edit...
My question is basically which one of these 2?:

Drop/Dan Aeon X
Shure 1540
[/quote]

You made this one tough :-)  I am usually a fan of the Drop stuff, so my lean is that way.  The true answer obviously is listen and choose, but that won't be possible it seems.  Additionally, bass response is key for me, and I do not know how to chose on that, since that is a personal thing.  My rec is to look at all of the worst reviews and see what people are hating about each, and pick the one that aligns with your listening world view...

Not sure I helped here.

VinceT

« Reply #33 on: 24 Oct 2022, 07:18 pm »
Check back here and tell us what you decide....also let me know if the Cable Co was still as great as I remember it...
Good luck and happy listening!

I just bought another pair of tower speakers  :icon_lol:, I have been drinking all this in for the time being until I am ready to take the plunge

Carlman

« Reply #34 on: 25 Oct 2022, 11:34 am »
I can't believe I haven't sat down and really put these headphones through their paces and reviewed here... but I will.
I recently realized I have a nice headphone DAC in my soundroom.. (Lightroom VI) so I'm going to use that.

For portable use, the Pixel 5a (and 4a) and Samsung S9 have adequate output for these phones.  With this simple setup, I'm still very pleased with the sound of the ETA's.. just natural and cohesive top to bottom.   I'll add more comments when I get some 'ear time' with the big dac.

Thanks,
Carl

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #35 on: 17 Mar 2023, 04:51 pm »
Yet another close back HifiMan based on the top line with Steath Magnets, 97dB, 20 ohms:
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/audivina.html

dox1000

« Reply #36 on: 8 Apr 2023, 01:41 am »
Yet another close back HifiMan based on the top line with Steath Magnets, 97dB, 20 ohms:
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/audivina.html

...And how are we feeling about this.  Is this an incremental change, a disruptive modification, or a business need for HifiMan?  I don't Know this line (other than a 5 minute audition 6 years ago), but they seem interesting.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 8 Apr 2023, 03:04 am »
...And how are we feeling about this.  Is this an incremental change, a disruptive modification, or a business need for HifiMan?  I don't Know this line (other than a 5 minute audition 6 years ago), but they seem interesting.
Closed back headphones have smaller soundstage than open and HifiMan Stealth magnets also have smaller soundstage than the non-stealth, but the Stealth are more detailed or refinated etc.

yeldarb

« Reply #38 on: 8 Apr 2023, 08:24 pm »
If you want something affordable but good, consider the Fostex RP50 or the Delkoni Blue from drop.com.

Carlman

« Reply #39 on: 11 May 2023, 03:22 pm »
Well, I said I'd post back so...
I really didn't care for the sound of the VI DAC directly to any headphones I own.  I found that surprising. 
It all works together in the big system for some reason.
Some things that have changed since October last year:
I bought a new DAC and new headphone cable.  Both allowed me to enjoy the music much more and allowed for "critical listening".
You can read all my (and other) ramblings here on head-fi.