I did a bad bad thing

jackman

Re: I did a bad bad thing
« Reply #20 on: 7 Dec 2012, 05:44 pm »
Josh, I hope your hearing recovers completely.  Those amps are amazing looking, works of art.  Please send pictures when you get the amps and when your system is up and running. 

Best of luck with your recovery.  You are lucky to be alive!

J

JoshK

« Reply #21 on: 7 Dec 2012, 07:02 pm »
Your brain will adjust.

How did you come across those amps?  :o

Tell us more about your speakers coming?

Rocket_Ronny

Well I have long followed Thomas Mayer's work.   I find his build/aesthetics/philosophy so matched my own but his work work leagues ahead (there are no electrolytics in his amps).    I really wanted an heirloom SET amp that could drive anything I wanted.    When I saw these amps (second pair of this topology he built at least), I asked how much.    Well I decided to bite the bullet.

He is sending them out Monday.   Don't know how long they take to cross the pond and go through customs but they will be here soon enough.

Thomas was a pleasure to work with as well.  He is a true gentleman and his prices are more than fair, especially when compared to commercial amps I can think of.

Speaker wise, I have more projects then solutions right now.   I am trying to contract a local woodworker to help me finish as I don't have shop space to do a lot of it myself anymore.

Josh

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #22 on: 7 Dec 2012, 07:18 pm »
Sorry to read about your fall.  Glad you are getting most of your hearing back.  My left ear hears better than my right ear and I think I was born that way.  I am left eye dominant.  Maybe ears have dominance too?  Anyway, your brain will recalibrate so you can locate by sound.

I would love to hear your horn system once you put it all together.

Take care.

mcgsxr

« Reply #23 on: 7 Dec 2012, 07:26 pm »
Sorry to hear about the fall Josh, those darn Canadian storms eh!

PM me with what you want done for speaker building, I might know a guy in Stoney Creek that could help - depends on what level of finish you are after, but if it is simple cabinet construction, he does that for sure.  I sold him some doors out of my old kitchen, and we got talking audio.

Oh, and you let me know if you need to "store" any amps or speakers, I am just down the QEW from you!

ptmconsulting

« Reply #24 on: 7 Dec 2012, 07:38 pm »
So sorry to hear this news Josh. I thought at first you were going to say that the thrash music in the bar was too loud and you were standing too close to the speaker, and that's how you lost your hearing. This would make for a better story rather than falling down some stairs after too much to drink  :cry: Maybe if said you got stabbed in the alley afterwards it would spice things up.  :duh:

You know I'm only joking and trying to make light of a bad situation. As we all know, our ears are very important to us in this hobby. You have my sympathy.