I am tired of bicycle tire flats

Doublej

I am tired of bicycle tire flats
« on: 24 Sep 2012, 02:38 am »
Once again I got a flat when riding my MTB on the road. This time a thorn did me in. Where I ran over it I have no clue.

What are my choices for puncture resistant tires in the 26x1.5-2.1 size? Specialized has the Armadillo series, what to do other tire makers have?

TrungT

Re: I am tired of bicycle tire flats
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2012, 03:06 am »
SpinSkins tire liner is a great product.
http://www.spinskins.com/index.html

vortrex

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2012, 03:11 am »
simple solution, no tubes.  Stan's kit works great.

AB

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2012, 04:45 am »
I second the Stan's suggestion. It really works. I use it on three mtn bikes and have started using it a bit in my road tubulars.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2012, 05:54 pm »
Love tubeless + stans.   I'd opt for a tire that doesn't have super thin walls.   I couldn't get my Conti Mountain King 2.2s to seal well for anything and eventually had a flat on rocks.   Running thicker sidewalled non-UST and UST tires has given me no issues.

I have had zero issues with Racing Ralphs on my 29'er and GEAX Gato and High Roller USTs on my 5" FS going tubeless. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2012, 06:12 pm »
Once again I got a flat when riding my MTB on the road. This time a thorn did me in. Where I ran over it I have no clue.

What are my choices for puncture resistant tires in the 26x1.5-2.1 size? Specialized has the Armadillo series, what to do other tire makers have?

Continental Gatorskins  are another option. Fresh rubber( both tires and tubes) along with proper inflation go a long way to preventing flats.
I've has about six flats on the road in the last 15000 miles just by following this little formula. This has been on a road bike using mostly 25's, however.
If you're riding a MTB on the road, get some fresh rubber and inflate at or near max allowable.

sebrof

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2012, 06:16 pm »
Hard to prevent a flat from a thorn, but if the other flats you have been having have been a mystery you might want to pay more attention to tire pressure. I max up my road bike tires before almost every ride and I have had probably 2 or 3 flats in I dunno, thousands of miles.

coke

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2012, 07:26 pm »
Slime tubes work VERY well if you don't mind the weight. I used them for about 2 years and never got a flat.  I even pulled out a locust thorn once, spun the tire and it sealed the hole.  I'm using tubeless now primarily to save weight.

http://www.slime.com/shop/smart-bike-tubes-presta-valve/

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2012, 07:44 pm »
As the previous poster stated, thorns are tough.   I use Conti GP4000's on my road bike and have had had a couple bad flats from glass and construction debris (nails, small pieces of steel, staples, etc).  I'm not sure if anything would have prevented these flats as they cut right through the kevlar weave of my tires.   Some guys use Gatorskins and swear by them but it depends on where you ride.  If you ride in urban areas and on roads with lots of thorns and tacks, you might be out of luck.   You may need some Slime and some of the various tire saver rim strips available. 

Usually MTB tires are more immune to these types of things but any tire can go flat.  I usually do NOT run my road tires at max psi.  Max PSI does not give you better rolling resistance and because the tires bounce over bumps, can actually reduce your rolling resistance.  A good practice is to wipe down your tires after each ride.  I've notice small glass chips embedded in the rubber but not all the way through.  This helps eliminate some flats, I imagine. 

Let us know if you find something that works for you!

Cheers,

J