SongTowers for HT

jam2001

SongTowers for HT
« on: 20 Feb 2008, 08:59 pm »
I have little doubt that the SongTowers will do very well for home theater due to their quality midrange.  But I am curious how many people are actually using them in a HT setup.  I know that a lot of Salk owners are using the HT3's.

Also, if you are using the SongTowers for HT, can you comment on the sound?  And are you using the SongCenter?

I'm trying to decide between the Rocket 850's and the SongTowers.  I would say that I am 50/50 - HT/music.

Thanks,

Big Red Machine

Re: SongTowers for HT
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2008, 09:04 pm »
I've owned the 850's - go ST.  Can you afford the V series?  Next step up IMO when you add the ribbon.

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2008, 09:13 pm »
Zybar has three ST's.  You might ask him.  TOm

jam2001

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2008, 09:48 pm »
I've owned the 850's - go ST.  Can you afford the V series?  Next step up IMO when you add the ribbon.

I'm not familiar with the V series.  I'll have to look into that.  It's good to hear from someone who's owned both though, because I don't know how subjective the opinions are on the Rockets forum.  The only other person that I've heard from who's listened to both was Nuance.  He owns the Rockets, but prefers the ST's.

What would you say was the biggest difference between the Rockets and the ST's?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2008, 10:25 pm »
I have little doubt that the SongTowers will do very well for home theater due to their quality midrange.  But I am curious how many people are actually using them in a HT setup.  I know that a lot of Salk owners are using the HT3's.

Also, if you are using the SongTowers for HT, can you comment on the sound?  And are you using the SongCenter?

I'm trying to decide between the Rocket 850's and the SongTowers.  I would say that I am 50/50 - HT/music.

Thanks,

How about this:

I am very happy with them in my dedicated HT.

I will try and take some updated pics tonight.

George
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2008, 12:59 am by zybar »

jam2001

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2008, 11:08 pm »
Very nice!   :drool:

Can you tell me more about what you like about them?  And what type of speakers you had prior to the ST's?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2008, 11:23 pm »

I'd say clarity, detail, soundstage for starters.  The ST's have better drivers as well.  Loved the 850's for what they did but the ST's trounce them at that price.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:06 am »
Very nice!   :drool:

Can you tell me more about what you like about them?  And what type of speakers you had prior to the ST's?

In the Salk Circle there are numerous threads about the SongTowers that will give you a very good idea of what people think about them.

In my previous HT, I used Salk HT3's, so I can't really say the ST's are better.   aa

George

jam2001

« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:19 am »
George,

I've read plenty in regards to how good the ST's are for music.  I curious about their HT performance.  And specifically I'm curious if anyone is using the SongCenter.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:58 am »
George,

I've read plenty in regards to how good the ST's are for music.  I curious about their HT performance.  And specifically I'm curious if anyone is using the SongCenter.

Well, if they sound good for music, they will sound good for HT.  Also, all the positive attributes being said about them for more music/2 channel, will still be applicable for HT.   :wink:

That being said...here are some bullet points on how they sound in my HT:

--  detailed (dialogue is super easy to hear and understand), but in no way etchy or bright

--  solid sounding with body...sound much bigger than they are

--  dynamic and impactful...explosions, car chases, dinosaurs, cannons, etc...all sound quick and pack a nice punch

Not sure what more to say...

I like them, they do the job well, and were a terrific value.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2008, 01:01 am »

I'd say clarity, detail, soundstage for starters.  The ST's have better drivers as well.  Loved the 850's for what they did but the ST's trounce them at that price.

I totally agree with Pete.

I have had Swan Divas, Rockets, and the Mini-Strata speakers from Mark at AV123 and while they are good, the SongTowers are definitely in a different performance class.

George

fsimms

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2008, 03:28 am »

I had Rocket 760's and SongTowers in my system.  I thought the Rockets were great, but the vocal and bass performance was better on the SongTowers.   The SongTowers are really incredible :wink:

jam2001

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2008, 05:30 pm »

I'm not familiar with the V series.  I'll have to look into that. 

I didn't realize the V-series were the Veracity speakers.  No, those are out of my price range.  The most I think I can spend, is around $2500.  That would cover the ST's and the SongCenter.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2008, 05:40 pm »
And remember, there really is no speaker that does one or the other better.  If a speaker accurately reproduces it can perform in either environment.  I loved the 850's for what they could do at their price point.  But any Salk speaker is in another league and for the price of ST's they match just about a B stock Rocket price.  So not a tough decision.  Order the ST's and stop beating yourself up :argue:

KevinK

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2008, 02:34 pm »
My experience with my ST's for HT has been fantastic.  I am constantly amazed how many times we are watching a movie and I don't notice the speakers.  What I mean is that the sound is so seamless, open, real, etc, etc that the speakers disappear and only the soundstage remains.

My wife LOVES them.  Totally impressed with the sound and looks. 

Jim Salk is a true gentleman and man of his word - you can count on him and his products to deliver.

KK

jam2001

« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2008, 03:04 pm »
Kevin,

That's good to hear.  Are you using the SongCenter?

BTW, you're speakers look fantastic!  Could you post a larger picture or PM one to me?

Thanks,

NYSportz

« Reply #16 on: 22 Feb 2008, 04:09 pm »
I'd love to see a larger picture, too.  That wood looks wonderful.