Bicycling Off-Road

Levi

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #660 on: 29 Dec 2010, 04:22 pm »
I agree.  Hard Tail frame can be bad for your back.  A good Titanium or Steel frame can help dissipate the sting.  Also carbon or shock seatposts helps as well but nothing like a full suspension.  29er rigid is not as bad compared to a 26er rigid.  Those big wheels simply soaks up bumps better than the smaller wheels.  That Niner carbon fork is one of the best to have on a full rigid bike. 

My Merlin Ti HT frame is very comfortable specially on endurance races lasting over 40miles +.  I have to get me a 29er to see what is the fuzz is all about.  I have tried my friends' Niner 29er and the geometry handles like a 26er however I think lightweight wheels will truly make those 29er accelerate and handle faster.

We got hit by a blizzard 12/27.  My on-road bike will not be out until the snow is gone.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #661 on: 29 Dec 2010, 05:03 pm »
Baumer, my back twinged just thinking about riding that MCR9 on single track.  That would be awesome for dirt roading and path riding around here though.  I came seriously close to doing a 1X10 or 1X9 setup on my MCR.  I only use 4 or 5 gears max anyways :)  I mostly stay on the middle ring for trail riding, but use the big ring almost exclusively for path riding since there isn't a whole lot of elevation change here in the central NC area... I also run the lockout on my Fox if the path is smooth enough so when i get up out of the saddle the front end isn't bobbing and dipping when I start torquing a big tall gear :)

BikeWNC, I rode a number of Specialized bikes when i was in test ride mode.  There wasn't an Epic Comp 29er that I remember.  Could have been, but I was more focused on hardtails because that's what i thought I wanted and needed, having never owned a full suspension before.....  my how times change in the blink of an eye :)

Don't get me wrong, of all the hardtails I rode before building up this Niner, the steel frame and the big wheels meant a lot of plush feel.  It's a killer bike for what it is.  But all the steel in the world and big air volume won't make the rear end move up and down 5 inches to soften the blows :)

BikeWNC

« Reply #662 on: 29 Dec 2010, 06:34 pm »
I also have an Indy Fab Steel Deluxe hardtail 26 with a Cane Creek Thudbuster post and while it is a very smooth ride it can't match my Epic 29er Expert.  I'll never be a speedy singletrack rider but the Epic gives me much more confidence on the trail while also being comfortably compliant and efficient.  I think you will enjoy the Sultan.  It's built like a tank and is quite plush. 

Levi

« Reply #663 on: 29 Dec 2010, 06:48 pm »
I heard many good things about Turner's dw-link.  :thumb:  I think the Epic 29er is lighter bike?  Plush is where it counts.  Keep riding! 

BikeWNC

« Reply #664 on: 29 Dec 2010, 10:00 pm »
I heard many good things about Turner's dw-link.  :thumb:  I think the Epic 29er is lighter bike?  Plush is where it counts.  Keep riding!

Yeah Turners like Pivots aren't known for being light.  The equivalent Epic model should be lighter.  However, everyone that reviews these bikes mentions they ride lighter than they weigh.  I know the Pivot Mach 429 with a DW-link rear certainly did.  It was an amazing climber.  However for me, with the stock 100 fork it felt like it had too steep a HTA.  A 120 on that bike might be perfect. 

Levi

« Reply #665 on: 29 Dec 2010, 10:19 pm »
Keep riding that is all I have to say.

The closest singletrack that is readable is in the City.  Picture below is the 59th Street Bridge Bike/Pedestrian path. 

View of the East River and Tram from the middle of the 59th St bridge

Central Park 60th Street Entrance

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #666 on: 8 Jan 2011, 10:16 pm »
One of the new frames is built up.  The Turner turned out a bit heavier than expected because of a couple choices I made.  It's a little over 30 pounds without pedals.  I bought a 5 pack of cheap tubes from PricePoint to have extras.  They're decent, but seriously heavy compared to the Q Tubes Super Lights I have with the Kenda Small Block Eights on the MCR9 bike.  The WTB Weirwolf 2.55 tires are also pretty heavy.  I may switch these to the Kenda Nevegals I got from Tree Fort on Friday. 

I got a quick 11 miles in on the trail next to my house just to test ride it.... hoping to take it out for a longer run this evening or tomorrow during the day...

Frame - Turner Sultan DW Link
Fork - Fox F29 RL 120mm travel
Drivetrain - Shimano XT Dyna-Sys 10 speed
Brakes - Shimano Saint 160mm (seriously awesome brakes)
Custom wheelset with Hadley Racing hubs front and rear laced to Stan's ZTR Flow rims

PhilNYC

« Reply #667 on: 9 Jan 2011, 10:13 pm »
One of the new frames is built up.  The Turner turned out a bit heavier than expected because of a couple choices I made.  It's a little over 30 pounds without pedals.  I bought a 5 pack of cheap tubes from PricePoint to have extras.  They're decent, but seriously heavy compared to the Q Tubes Super Lights I have with the Kenda Small Block Eights on the MCR9 bike.  The WTB Weirwolf 2.55 tires are also pretty heavy.  I may switch these to the Kenda Nevegals I got from Tree Fort on Friday. 

I got a quick 11 miles in on the trail next to my house just to test ride it.... hoping to take it out for a longer run this evening or tomorrow during the day...

Frame - Turner Sultan DW Link
Fork - Fox F29 RL 120mm travel
Drivetrain - Shimano XT Dyna-Sys 10 speed
Brakes - Shimano Saint 160mm (seriously awesome brakes)
Custom wheelset with Hadley Racing hubs front and rear laced to Stan's ZTR Flow rims

Am surprised to hear this is over 30lbs...

Levi

« Reply #668 on: 10 Jan 2011, 12:11 am »
Yeah Turners like Pivots aren't known for being light. The equivalent Epic model should be lighter.  However, everyone that reviews these bikes mentions they ride lighter than they weigh.  I know the Pivot Mach 429 with a DW-link rear certainly did.  It was an amazing climber.  However for me, with the stock 100 fork it felt like it had too steep a HTA.  A 120 on that bike might be perfect. 

I never doubted it.  Plush is the word.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #669 on: 10 Jan 2011, 03:50 pm »
I think I can get it under 30 pretty easily...  swapping the tubes and WTB Weirwolf tires for Super Lights and a set of Kenda Nevegals would save me at least 2 pounds.  I love the grip and tread pattern of the WTB... and the air in the tire makes them very floaty... but they are seriously heavy tires.

I rode for a couple hours out at a local singletrack place yesterday.  It's got about the most elevation change of anything in the area which, given my lack of fitness level, means I'm not as much of a fan at the moment... it flat out kicked my butt.  But unlike riding the MCR9 over the same terrain and distance, I hardly have a sore back at all today.  Big time difference with the full suspension....  hopefully as I become less of a fat a$$, it will get even better...

I actually like the extra weight of the bike compared to MCR9 build and especially love the Shimano Saint brakes for the downhill sections.  Serious brake power and incredible modulation capability.  The extra weight and just the bike itself is extremely solid and tight and stable.  It's very confidence inspiring and I went over some stuff that would have made me crap my pants on the Niner MCR9.  Going straight uphill and having to pedal the thing up it is not as much fun because of the extra weight...  it will climb over just about anything and I didn't even notice sections where before the MCR9 was bucking me around pretty good. 

Hopefully I will get the remaining parts today from UPS and spend the night in the garage finishing up the R.I.P.9 build... I think that one is going to be a very different beast than this one...  I will say the Turner fit like an absolute glove with virtually no adjustments yet...  and I loved the Niner geometry on the MCR... hopefully that carries over onto the RIP....

Levi

« Reply #670 on: 24 Jan 2011, 04:11 am »
THE DARKHORSE 40
Presented by
darkhorse cycles
stewart state forest, newburgh, NY
Sunday, July 31, 2011
Online Registration Closes
Friday, July 01, 2011 at 11:45 PM ET

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=11975

LadyDog

« Reply #671 on: 25 Jan 2011, 03:01 am »
Some nice looking bikes I've been seeing in the last few pages.

Levi, you nailed it.  Imo, a nice, light, set of wheels really brings out the best in a hardtail 29'er. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #672 on: 25 Jan 2011, 11:19 am »
THE DARKHORSE 40
Presented by
darkhorse cycles
stewart state forest, newburgh, NY
Sunday, July 31, 2011
Online Registration Closes
Friday, July 01, 2011 at 11:45 PM ET

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=11975

Let me know the next time you plan on going to Stewart....

Levi

« Reply #673 on: 25 Jan 2011, 12:41 pm »
You got it Phil.  It will be fun to bring your new IF there.

Levi

« Reply #674 on: 25 Jan 2011, 02:33 pm »
Anyone played around creating custom maps and uploading them to their Garmin 800?

Side by side comparison of the 705 and 800.  705 does not support custom maps.  800 is the winner! 

Levi

« Reply #675 on: 30 Jan 2011, 02:18 pm »
Custom Maps simply means that anyone can create any maps and upload it into their Garmin 800.  The screen on the Garmin 800 will be able to display and follow overlayed image of Cunningham Park below.  I think that is cool feature.

or

Levi

« Reply #676 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:42 pm »
Anyone riding off-road yet?

Levi

« Reply #677 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:43 pm »
Talking about thread revival.  Spring is almost here. 

Levi

« Reply #678 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:44 pm »
Too much snow on the trails lately.

Levi

« Reply #679 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:48 pm »
Stay tuned for more projects and upgrades!