Soundscape 8s no longer for sale

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
Soundscape 8s no longer for sale
« on: 20 Jun 2014, 05:58 pm »
These ARE SOLD THANKS!!!!!

Hello All
I'm not sure if I can post this here but if you are interested I have a pair of SS8s in the trading post.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126781.0
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2014, 02:42 pm by PETE6737 »

Chriscorv58

Re: Soundscape 8s for sale
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2014, 08:30 pm »
I have some interest free free to email me chriscorv58@yahoo.com Thanks

SeaNile

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2014, 04:30 am »
Where are you located?

Thanks.

robcentola

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2014, 09:03 pm »
I can't believe these are still available.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2014, 09:17 pm »
I can't believe these are still available.
Me too! I have had a lot of interest and filled up my PM box, but no one has made an offer yet. I am certain I will get these sold...it's only been like 3 weeks or so and since my room is down for remodeling I am patiently waiting...

Where are you located?

Thanks.
I live in Northeast Florida.

Austin08

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2014, 10:24 pm »
Me too! I have had a lot of interest and filled up my PM box, but no one has made an offer yet. I am certain I will get these sold...it's only been like 3 weeks or so and since my room is down for remodeling I am patiently waiting...

People love the speakers but a bit hesitate to throw away their big and hard earn cash without any audition opportunity. Give it a bit more time, the SS8s are excellent speakers, someone will buy them soon.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2014, 02:04 am »
People love the speakers but a bit hesitate to throw away their big and hard earn cash without any audition opportunity. Give it a bit more time, the SS8s are excellent speakers, someone will buy them soon.

+1!!! Really great speakers

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2014, 05:56 am »

I can understand that!! I drove three hours to listen to my SS8s. But upon hearing them I ordered them within minutes

JRMNorth

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2014, 02:29 am »
Hi Pete,

Do you still have the SS8s for sale? 

Thanks,

John

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2014, 06:48 am »
Hi John,
yes my SS8s are still for sale. I think you need 5 posts before you can PM. I have been in mid swing in my room renovation, but I could not stand not having music. I just recarpeted the room, and put up a temporary system. I have a feeling I will not complete it this month since I am going on vacation soon. Here is a pic of the temporary set up, excuse the mess and unfinished trim

etc..

JRMNorth

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2014, 11:12 pm »
Hi Pete,

Yes, good sound is hard to live without. 

I was thinking about which Salk speakers I should get - I started focusing on SS8s.  Then I called Jim - and he suggested the same.  I have a large room and like full range speakers (I had Infinity Kappa 8s and Rennaisance 90s in the distant past).  I am in Michigan, so they would have to be shipped - which I expect would be expensive.  Do you remember how much they cost to ship to you? 

What are you getting to replace the SS8s - bigger Soundscapes - or Exotica 3s? 

Thanks,

John

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2014, 12:06 am »
John,
If I remember correctly the shipping was somewhere between 250 and $300. I have not decided on the replacement speakers as of yet. I have a plan to go to the Rocky Mountain audio fest this year where I hope to listen to the new exotica's. I have spoken to Jim in the past in reference to getting bigger soundscapes, like the ss12, however I have not narrowed down my search to only Salks at this time. There are some other brands I'd like to listen to before I  take another high dollar plunge. I am also saving to purchase an audio research amp and preamp as well.

The speakers will ship in the original boxes with EVERYTHING I GOT FROM SALK. down to the polish cloths, a never used Salk ball cap, (I put it in my DVD rack) and if I can locate the sampler cd, it will go to. I have it ripped it to a Flac file on a HD now, grills, and poly fill.
These speakers will fill a decent size room with great sound and tight bass. PM me with an offer and I can get them packed ASAP!  Pete

JRMNorth

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2014, 04:19 pm »
Hi Pete,

I think this will be my 4th post - so not quite up to the 5 needed yet.  I may just send another one with a simple question to get over the minimum requirement. 

Anyway,

I have a few more questions:

- Why are you selling?  I know you are remodeling - but why do you need to sell the SS8s (is it just to get bigger and better?)
- I guess this goes along with the last question - what didn't you like about the SS8s that are making you upgrade?
- The other side of the coin - what did you like about them?
- I see you said they were in great shape.  Are there any scratches or scuffs?
- What amp did you use with them - how much power?

Thanks,

John

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2014, 08:16 pm »
John
The speakers have no marks scuffs or blemishes. They are currently being powered by a Bryston 14bst amp. There are a lot of things to like about the speakers: the wide soundstage, the smooth treble and midrange, the deep bass. They are by far the best value in this price range. For me, the change to a different speaker is due to 1) the remodel, 2) the plan to upgrade my preamp and amp audio research gear and the quest to mate that gear with the best speaker possible that I can afford. There is nothing wrong with soundscape8s but since my room will be down for a while I thought I could free up some cash and space so I could sell the speakers while they were still relevant in this market and it would give me time to sample some other brands and the new exotica's that have just been rolled out. That being said, if I could never sell the speakers it wouldn't be a disaster. I would just keep them and enjoy them as I have been. I think Jim Salk has said in the past that there is no such thing as the perfect speaker. But a person can enjoy the hunt for the next best thing.

JRMNorth

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2014, 09:14 pm »
Hi Pete,

Thanks for your comments.  I understand what you mean - no perfect speakers - and the desire to try other speakers - which are hopefully better sounding.

I had some good ones over the years, including Infinity Kappa 8s and Renaissance 90 (and 80s) when Infinity was pretty high end.  The Kappa 8s were very dynamic yet detailed - along with pretty deep bass (down to about 30).  However, they were sealed and required a ton of power (more than my 350 watt Sumo Andromeda) to fulfil their potential.  Also, they didn't pair well with certain amps (it took me awhile to get it right).  The Renaissance 90s had great mids (a planar midrange helped) and even deeper bass (upper 20s).  However, they weren't very dynamic which made them sound a bit unexciting. 

Thanks,

John

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
Re: Soundscape 8s no longer for sale
« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2014, 07:39 pm »
These have been taken off the market. They are great and I decided to keep them after my room remodel. Thanks Pete