Anti-skate issue on a Versalex

undertowogt1

Re: Anti-skate issue on a Versalex
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2019, 01:38 am »
This post has sparked my thoughts so I compared my Digital Scale (that came with my WTL Amadeus GTA II) and my Shure SFG-2 Stylus Gauge. They are different. The digital scale reads 1.52 Tracking Force and the Shure scale reads abou 1.48. I think I will believe my Shure SFG-2 Guage. Though it does sit a little higher from the platter so maybe it all evens out and they are both accurate?

Kimiimacman

« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2019, 02:08 pm »
TBH the scales that come with the Versalex have a tolerance, try repeated measurements and you'll see a small difference. Both scales get you in the same ball-park as you've demonstrated but NEVER rely on the numbers, listen and adjust within the cartridge manufacturer's limits, it's usually worth the effort :thumb:

K

sebrof

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jun 2019, 02:18 am »
Make sure the table is level, too.
But seems what you describe is most likely the AS twist.

sunnydaze

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jun 2019, 04:28 pm »
This post has sparked my thoughts so I compared my Digital Scale (that came with my WTL Amadeus GTA II) and my Shure SFG-2 Stylus Gauge. They are different. The digital scale reads 1.52 Tracking Force and the Shure scale reads abou 1.48. I think I will believe my Shure SFG-2 Guage. Though it does sit a little higher from the platter so maybe it all evens out and they are both accurate?

If the digital is like one of these jewelers scales......

https://www.amazon.com/Proster-Turntable-Backlight-Cartridge-Brilliant/dp/B06XP27LCR/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_267_tr_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QQGF56ZTF1C6K414V9M8

.....I'd trust it over the Shure.  Calibrate the digital scale by weighing a US nickel.  It should be exactly 5.0 grams.  A US penny after 1983 is exactly 2.5 grams.

I do believe that for uni-pivot arms the digital scale will be fairly inaccurate if you place it on the platter.  For reliable results you need to remove the platter and place the scale on something such that its weighing platform is exactly at record height.

I did the comparison -- digital scale on platter vs. off platter -- with my uni-pivot arms (when I had them) and the VTF results were quite different.

With gimbal / fixed bearing arms the digital scale can be placed on the platter without much loss of accuracy.  With my 3 gimbal arms the VTF is about .05 grams heavier vs. removing the platter and getting the scale platform to exact record height.

BTW.....what makes you think you can get your stated accuracy (to the hundredths of a gram) from a Shure balance scale, simply by using your eye?  I have one and the method in theory seems perfect but in practice strikes me as kindof crude, and I surely wouldn't trust my ability to read it that precisely.
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2019, 06:49 pm by sunnydaze »

blefebvre

« Reply #24 on: 24 Aug 2019, 12:33 pm »
Just completing the thread. It was the scale that was the issue. I went to an Ortofon plastic “see saw” scale and that at least got me into the range required without any issues. But after a while of listening to this cartridge, it just didn’t seem to fit the arm - maybe a compliance issue? The 301mkii I had used before sounded fantastic, but was also 3 grams lighter. I’ve fiddled with the 304 quite a bit and just cannot get it to sing as well as the 301mkii. I also threw a Grado F1 on the arm  -and the digital scale worked perfectly for that cartridge  - and it sounded at least as good as the 304 in most respects.

So yeah - it was the scale causing the problem. Thanks!