Dave's H Frame Triple Servo Sub build begins

Dagoods

Re: Dave's H Frame Triple Servo Sub build begins
« Reply #40 on: 13 Apr 2021, 01:34 pm »
Great job! Bet they blend well with the Maggies. I would try removing the HT subs. I would bet the OB's sound as good or better and will free up some space.

Thanks and starting to blend them in with the Maggie's. Removing the HT subs is not an option. I would have to tie the OB subs into the HT receiver instead of the pre-amp. It's a temporary problem. We are looking for a new place to live and it will have a dedicated listening room. 

Dagoods

« Reply #41 on: 13 Apr 2021, 01:44 pm »
Dave, these look great.  When I was emailing Killian he used your photos of your cabinets as a example for triples that can be veneered.  I told Killian how great they looked! 

I am starting the process (everything is a process for me!) for my own triple H frame build.  I have ordered the cabinets and am planning to veneer in oak finish to match my Maggie 3.7 finish (oak with off white grill cloth).  I, like you, have never veneered anything before and am looking forward to learning.

I just wanted to let you know that it is inspiring to know you were successful and I will try to post pics to help inspire others.

Mike

Hey Mike, Many thinks for your kind comments! Guess I need to charge Killian a marketing fee :lol: Glad he used the photos but please overlook the mistakes! Congratulations on your build. They will sound amazing with your 3.7's.  My build took 4 months and while it was a lot of fun it was also a ton of work. But I really like the end results.

I have learned a lot and gotten some great advise from members here and I will be glad to help anyone avoid the mistakes and lessons learned.

Please call on me for any help I can offer.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #42 on: 13 Apr 2021, 02:15 pm »
 I used to have a dual system similar to yours. Eventually I moved to a two channel music/theater system and have not looked back. It's a much simpler and cleaner system, and you can devote the cost savings to better two channel gear. I have a projector and a motorized screen so when listening to music the theater part gets out of the way. I have learned that a system that is great for music is just as good with movies and TV sound. If you have an excellent full range system (as you seem to), it will do movie sound just as well as it does music.
 My system has such good imaging and sound stage that I do not miss surround sound at all. In fact the center image moves with the characters on the screen better than it did with the center channel. It would be an easy experiment when you move to your new place. Set it up as a two channel system first and see how you like it. You have great speakers and subs for that application. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #43 on: 13 Apr 2021, 02:53 pm »
Sonicjoy, agreed 100%.  I have a projector and motorized screen too and it just makes everything so much neater, aesthetically speaking.  And I also used to have an elaborate multichannel HT setup but I've simplified down to 2 channels and just put all the $$ into the very best 2 channel gear I could find and I tell you what, I do not miss the multi-channel setup one bit. 

Dagoods

« Reply #44 on: 13 Apr 2021, 04:42 pm »
I used to have a dual system similar to yours. Eventually I moved to a two channel music/theater system and have not looked back. It's a much simpler and cleaner system, and you can devote the cost savings to better two channel gear. I have a projector and a motorized screen so when listening to music the theater part gets out of the way. I have learned that a system that is great for music is just as good with movies and TV sound. If you have an excellent full range system (as you seem to), it will do movie sound just as well as it does music.
 My system has such good imaging and sound stage that I do not miss surround sound at all. In fact the center image moves with the characters on the screen better than it did with the center channel. It would be an easy experiment when you move to your new place. Set it up as a two channel system first and see how you like it. You have great speakers and subs for that application. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I had considered making the changes suggested. My apple TV forced me to run in 2 channel when watching TV and the wife has complained ever since I switched it over 3 months ago. She loves the HT and has insisted when we move that I set it up and don't put my 2 channel system in the same room. We are moving to the country and she even suggested that I have a separate building for the 2 channel system. You know I said SURE!

Dagoods

« Reply #45 on: 13 Apr 2021, 05:00 pm »
Hey guys,

Over the weekend I made some adjustments to the placement of the subs and completed the stands for my Maggie’s.  Spent some time adjusting the settings and realized less is more. When I ran only one sub the bass was tight and smooth. When I ran both subs the bass became muddy.  Same results either side. Same settings on each too. I backed off on the gain once I realized I was over driving the bass. Ran both subs and then the bass started to clean up. Going to listen to them for a few days before I make any other adjustments. Also think I need to get the No Rez installed as well.

Squeaks,

You may have more interest in the stands than others. The bases are ¾” MDF finished in cherry veneer to match the subs. The braces are ¾” conduit filled with sand. I used speaker spikes to mount the Maggie's to the bases and to raise them off the floor. I can share details with you if you are interested in building a set for your Maggie’s.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #46 on: 13 Apr 2021, 08:32 pm »
I had considered making the changes suggested. My apple TV forced me to run in 2 channel when watching TV and the wife has complained ever since I switched it over 3 months ago. She loves the HT and has insisted when we move that I set it up and don't put my 2 channel system in the same room. We are moving to the country and she even suggested that I have a separate building for the 2 channel system. You know I said SURE!

LOL! I bet you did. She sounds like a keeper!  :thumb: Lucky dog!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #47 on: 13 Apr 2021, 09:06 pm »
Nice job on the stands! When you get around to the grills on the subs they will look great with the Maggies. I would love to hear your system.

Keep up the good work. :thumb:

Squeaks

« Reply #48 on: 14 Apr 2021, 09:28 am »
I tried the diy stands, Wasn’t impressed. Yours look a little more substantial. I’ll think on it while Im Redoing these magnepans this weekend.

Dagoods

« Reply #49 on: 15 Apr 2021, 12:34 pm »
Nice job on the stands! When you get around to the grills on the subs they will look great with the Maggies. I would love to hear your system.

Keep up the good work. :thumb:

Thanks Sonic!

I'm in the great Republic of Texas stop by for a shot of good tequila, chips, and salsa! Always welcome.

I always enjoy getting others opinions on how my system sounds. Leads to improvements. Picked up some black grill cloth and will be making them soon.  The stands have worked out very well once I got them in the right place and part of the plan was to blend the Maggie's with the subs.

And yeah she's definitely a keeper! Put up with me for 47 years. 

Dagoods

« Reply #50 on: 15 Apr 2021, 01:05 pm »
I tried the diy stands, Wasn’t impressed. Yours look a little more substantial. I’ll think on it while Im Redoing these magnepans this weekend.

Squeaks,

I have been using them for a long time with a couple of wood strips at the bottom and didn't notice much of a difference. Was considering the Mye stands around the same time I started the subs. They costs around $600 and I knew I would be spending A lot of $$$$ on the subs. Had the extra veneer, MDF from the subs build, and the braces were already done. So I have about $50 in each of them and figured they were worth a try. If they didn't work out the Mye stands were still an option.

I expected the new bases would make them a bit more bright but was surprised when the opposite happened. Placed them in the same location and they sounded more dull and not much of a sound stage. As you know the Maggie's have to be placed just right. So I pulled them forward about 3" and closer to each other by about 2". Then they opened back up and the sound stage was back to what I was used to. It also helped to pull them more to the front of the subs.

Did they make a huge difference no not much does but it's also hard to tell because I did the subs at the same time and they have been the huge improvement and a challenge to adjust.

Haven't forgotten, I will post a picture for you of my settings in the next day or so. It's changed every couple of days but I think I got them dialed in last night (said that several times already). I adjust a setting and listen for a couple of days   

Sonicjoy

« Reply #51 on: 18 Apr 2021, 02:13 pm »
Thanks for the invite. Sounds great! Those are some of my favorite things, good food and drink and great sounding music. Who knows if I ever get down your way again? I'm up here in the increasingly blue Evergreen State of Washington. If you are ever up this way you are welcome as well.  :D

Dagoods

« Reply #52 on: 20 Apr 2021, 01:18 pm »
Thanks for the invite. Sounds great! Those are some of my favorite things, good food and drink and great sounding music. Who knows if I ever get down your way again? I'm up here in the increasingly blue Evergreen State of Washington. If you are ever up this way you are welcome as well.  :D

Yeah be a bit of a drive either way! I actually lived in Everett for a year back in the 80's on my way south from Alaska. My dad worked for the forest service on Mount Baker and lived in Darrington. I think it's beautiful country but I sure love Texas!

Dagoods

« Reply #53 on: 20 Apr 2021, 01:27 pm »
Hey Squeaks,

How did the repairs on your Maggie's go? Hope it worked out.

Here are the settings I currently have on the sub amps. I visited Danny this weekend and got a look at his settings. Got to listen to his for about 30 minutes and dang his setup is fantastic!

Looks like I need to do some dusting!

Squeaks

« Reply #54 on: 21 Apr 2021, 12:39 am »
Repair went really well, easy to do once you get passed the 60 staples. Acetone to free everything, and clean old glue. Dap to secure, then the 3m coating. Easier then reforming a old driver.

Our settings are close. I’m using a y connector. Seems to be the way to go, just using one input the impact was missing. Amplifier was working harder.