Thiel 7.2 Speaker Karma

agptsmo

Thiel 7.2 Speaker Karma
« on: 10 Jan 2017, 06:26 pm »
Hi all, new member and I can't yet post in classifieds, but I am giving these away so this may be the best place anyways.  Wanting to find a good home for my beloved Theil 7.2 speakers.  These are the ones with the concrete baffles, much better than the resin one Thiel changed to because they had trouble with the concrete cracking during shipping.  My baffles are perfect with no cracks.  There is one large problem however.  The speakers were standing in water for a time so the wood bases are coming off.  Since Thiel puts the binding posts on the bottom these will need to be fixed or replaced.  I was going to use concrete paving stones but now I have gotten some new speakers so I really just want these taken away by someone who will appreciate them.

I'm not going to do a number draw since these are a big undertaking as you need to come pick them up in Pompano Beach Florida, just north of Miami, and as they weigh 350lbs each, you need three people at least to move them.  Thankfully there are no stairs so it is a flat clean trip to my driveway.  If there are that many who want and can get them, I will do a draw.

Not sure if I can put a phone number here, if not just block it out, but you can call me at 954-773-5592.

I bought these new in the box and they have been my big-rig speakers for over 10 years.  These were 13K speakers in 2009.  Not sure when Thiel stopped making them but they were his last "statement" speakers before he died, as the newer 3.7 were built to a price point.  In any event lots of karma here, someone with some work is going to have an excellent set of speakers for no money.

Phil A

Re: Thiel 7.2 Speaker Karma
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2017, 08:05 pm »
Great speakers for the price.  Used to own a pair.  I know someone who might be interested.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2017, 09:18 pm »
I'm interested. I'll send you an AC personal message.

Cheers and thanks for the generosity,
Lester

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2017, 09:25 pm »
I believe they are actually just 170 lbs. each if they have the concrete baffles and the newer composite ones were 155 each.  Mine were 155 each and I helped a guy load them in his station wagon when I sold them and got the 3.7s.

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2017, 09:29 pm »
Hi Phil,
Obviously you prefer the 3.7s over the 7.2s. How do they compare?
Cheers,
Lester

bside123

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2017, 10:04 pm »
That's some "heavy" karma  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2017, 11:14 pm »
WOW! 

agptsmo

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2017, 12:02 am »
Yes I was wrong on the weight.  They just feel like 300+ pounds when you are moving them.  A member has spoken for them and is picking them up tomorrow (Wednesday).  If he doesn't show or something happens I will let everyone know.  Thanks! 

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2017, 12:58 am »
Hi Phil,
Obviously you prefer the 3.7s over the 7.2s. How do they compare?
Cheers,
Lester

I would say that if one solely listens to large orchestra music, it is possible they may prefer the 7.2s over the 3.7s.  The ribbed aluminum tweeter/midrange in the 3.7s is about as close to being a ribbon without being one.  The 7.2s have a kind of heaviness/heft/weight to the upper bass frequencies.  The 3.7 is just smoother and sweeter. 

While the 3.7s are not an easy load (http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1208thi/#uALGB2ZqqMQVRvj3.97) they are not as bad as the 7.2s (and the old 7s are probably worse yet).  I started with 2.3s and since I have had an integrated AV system for years (I didn't start finishing the basement of my old house for about 7 years after I moved in and I did a decent amount of the work myself and it took me almost 4 years), I have just left it that way.  If I would have had the basement done (the way I wanted) earlier, I probably would have just had a 2-channel system with the Thiels.  I have a 2-channel preamp with HT Bypass and even today when I use the main system, while it does home theater very well, I use it more for music as I have back-up systems.

Before I made the decision to get the 7.2s (I was going back and forth between the 6s and 7.2s), I was out of town and found a dealer who had both and that made the decision easy being able to demo them.  Make sure you have a high current amp that also does low impedance well if you listen at any decent volume level.

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2017, 03:43 am »
Thanks Phil. Yes, I had read that amp selection required careful thought. Good advice for the lucky ACer who snagged these.

Cheers,
Lester

agptsmo

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2017, 12:49 am »
My 7.2's are on their way to Orlando to a good home.  And you are right about the power the 7.2's need.  I started with a Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista at 250 watts which didn't quite cut it, so I went to the KW500 with 500 watts, that did the trick!  Replacing the Thiels with KEF Blades.  Hope I am happy!

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2017, 03:40 am »
Thanks Phil. Yes, I had read that amp selection required careful thought. Good advice for the lucky ACer who snagged these.

Cheers,
Lester

So it wasn't you?  I sent an email to a fellow Space Coast Audio Society member in Orlando who already had a pair of 7s and perhaps he snagged them.

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2017, 07:21 am »
  Replacing the Thiels with KEF Blades.  Hope I am happy!

wow!  :o

Would love to see some photos when you get them.

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2017, 09:48 am »
So it wasn't you?  I sent an email to a fellow Space Coast Audio Society member in Orlando who already had a pair of 7s and perhaps he snagged them.

No, not me. I'm not exactly local to Pompano Beach and a marathon drive to and fro just wasn't in the cards.
Cheers,
Lester

agptsmo

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2017, 05:59 pm »
Yes Phil, it was your friend.  Great guy, I hope he is happy with them!  Will post photos of the Blades when I get them.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2017, 06:41 pm »
Yes Phil, it was your friend.  Great guy, I hope he is happy with them!  Will post photos of the Blades when I get them.

Sent him the email but never heard back.  I figured he would grab them.  He bought a big old used high current Krell when he got his 7s and he was talking about doing a home theater.  Wonder if he is going to use 7.2s and 7s in the HT.

agptsmo

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2017, 07:49 pm »
He didn't say but that would be a killer HT!

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jan 2017, 08:08 pm »
He didn't say but that would be a killer HT!

I know one of the guys who lives further up the FL coast (whom I talk to all the time about computer audio mostly) mentioned that he was going to help him with HT (just before I saw your post).  He came over my place when we had a get together up the road last year to hear the 3.7s, which are part of my integrated HT (with either 11.1 or 7.1.4 in Dolby Atmos).  I have a Thiel MCS1 center, Thiel SCS2 side and back surround, Thiel Power Points for front height channels and I have Axiom in ceiling for Dolby Atmos overhead channels.