XRS w. sub?

schotter

XRS w. sub?
« on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:46 pm »
Has anyone had good experience with omegas and subwoofers so far (yes, an Omega hemptone sub would be nice...!)?
My room swallows a lot of the nice bass the XRS throw out once I am not in a perfect listening position.
Not looking for earth shattering bass, just some well-behaving fill..the Zu Methods could be that but I am hoping to spend less. Any suggestions?

Songforyou

Re: XRS w. sub?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2006, 02:58 am »
I've had very good luck mating the Super 3Rs with a pair of TBI subs.  They are rather unconventional (6" aluminum driver in a 15" square enclosure that stands a total of 6" high on 2" spikes).  I don't think there are many subs that are as fast.  I started with one and its separate amp, then I added a second sub later).  They are very easy to place and don't take up much space.

http://www.tbisound.com/

Blue moon award from 6moons for the MagVIII (I have the MagVI) :http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/vbt/magellan8.html

The bass blends into the soundscape perfectly.  You don't have any idea the sound is coming from a sub.

denjo

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2006, 03:20 am »
Another option would be to go for an active Sub which has greater flexibility in allowing you to dial the Sub so that it blends with your 2 Channel Stereo. Although I have no experience with XRS, I have enquired with Louis and he did advise me that my Subs would fit quite nicely with the XRS. I am currently using the ACI Force XL (check "Circle" for ACI) with excellent results to give seismic support for my Thiels. I have also tried the ACI Force XL with mini monitor speakers (Rogers LS3/5A - 15 ohm) and they worked pretty well, giving the impression my speakers were fullrange floorstanders!

Dennis

schotter

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2006, 01:38 pm »
thanks to both of you!
Now I can stop looking on Ebay for things like the 'earthquake supernova'...

And yes, i will need a powered sub to work with my 47Labs Shigaraki line output.
I like both ideas but the TBI approach sounds irresistible.
And they sport a kool, 'purposeful' look.
There is a powered model available and there is a pair on Audiogon,
I just have to convince myself to spend more for a sub than for my XRS...
Songforyou, how did just the one sub compare to the setup with two?
cheers

kai

Songforyou

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2006, 12:47 am »
Hi Schotter,

The TBI offers a single unit (amp and speaker in a single box) and a passive speaker unit (same size box) that is driven by its own stand alone amp (so it is still an active, powered sub with all the dialing in flexibility that this implies ...this is the unit I opted for).  Both have line in and speaker level inputs.

One worked perfectly well.  There was no shortage of tight, fast bass at all.  In fact, I had the volume of the sub set very low (almost off, actually).  The problem for me was one of placement.  I couldn't place the sub between the speakers (doors on my stand swing out that way).  I could only place it off to one side or the other.  It still sounded very good, but when I put a second sub on the other side (both located out into the room beside my Super 3s), the bass just locked in perfectly.

If your room isn't huge, one sub will work very well (especially if you can place it in between the speakers).  Don't think you will be wanting for bass...it will be there in spades.  Two are better (in a qualitative more than a quantitative way), but that is true of all subs anyway, not just the TBI.

The beauty of it is, you don't have to choose now if you get the separate amp and sub combo.  The single amp will drive both subs, so you can always add a second sub unit if you feel like it later on.

There are bigger (and more expensive) subs that can shake loose the floorboards in your home, but I haven't heard any as tight and musically tuneful (and I used to own a pair of Kinergetics subs 'back in the day').

Word of warning: once you hear the Omegas with the sub, you won't be able to listen to them without one.  This is not to slight them at all, but there is only so much a little fostex can do by its lonesome.  But marry the speed, snap and imaging of that driver to the speed and rock solid foundation the TBI provides, and you have a serious full range system.

Good luck and let me know if there is any other info you need!

kbuzz3

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2006, 06:57 pm »
i agree with the post above 100 percent. i use one tbi with great results. Limited only to the fact i cant place my sub between my speakers either.

schotter

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2006, 02:49 pm »
Thanks for your comments! One used VI P (powered, single box) is on its way to my doorstep right now.
After all I have read I would have loved to grab two. But I set myself a 'no more $ than my main speakers' limit which is hard to achieve given the XRSs unbeatable price. My room is large but my listening area quite limited. And it looks like I could actually place my sub right in the middle. But apart from 'visual appearance' limitations, I will have to see how close the sub can be to the source. Vinyl is on a wall rack so that will not be an issue but CD is also between speakers so there will be some testing. Thanks again, will report back when the bad puppy arrives!

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2006, 01:33 am »
Hi schotter,

Great info here and I've had the TBI as well. It will work great.

Talk to you soon,
Louis

schotter

« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2006, 12:35 pm »
Hi Louis! Yep, the sub has arrived! It's a VBT (pre TBI model).
But not much time to play with it, had to leave town just after hooking it up.

First impression: 'Extended' not just technically, but also musically.
Bigger, but subliminally so.
But then it's almost ridiculous how things change once you disconnect the sub after some getting used to.
Even though I have liked the XRS's bass before and thought I hear it very clearly if it is on the recording.
It's like half of the music drops out, especially with classical.
I set the sub just above '100' and it adds a whole new layer and some 'growl' if needed
while the XRS still add a nice and fast 'percussiveness' to the bass.
The Fostex seem to do a really good job this way.

cheers

kai

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2006, 06:42 pm »
Hi Kai,

Thanks and I'm happy it"s working out for you. The sub as long as it's fast and musical can enhance the sound and add to the overall sound especially with large scale classical.

Thanks again,
Louis