NAD M22 Stereo Power Amplifier-NC400

Folsom

Re: NAD M22 Stereo Power Amplifier-NC400
« Reply #20 on: 24 Sep 2014, 03:33 am »
Not everyone is into DIY.

If Hypex direct sold instead of charging the big cash for their modules, the thing wouldn't probably cost less than $2k anyway. The markup is reasonable by NAD if they pay anything near what we would for Hypex modules. We don't know how many PSU's it features.

Is the case steel/partially? Sure... Do you own the equipment to make those cases? F no. You don't.

This mentality of thinking everyone is a crook that doesn't give you their shit at cost is something I can't wait to die out largely as baby boomers die. It's literally crushed small businesses in communities and now national/international for many years.

$10k, well I'm not sure where you get another $7k in markup from, maybe it's correct, but I can understand a discrepancy with that potential since you can't do too much to the Ncore boards for upgrades.

If anything when I first looked at this, I thought, good a reasonably priced Ncore for those that want a warranty and no DIY or custom work.

srb

« Reply #21 on: 24 Sep 2014, 04:14 am »
The M22 has greater headroom than the NC400/SMPS600 (according to NAD), has both balanced XLR and single-ended RCA inputs, a 12V trigger and a 3 year warranty.

The casework looks nicer than the majority of the DIY nCore projects that I've seen posted here, and has a very nice vent detail.

A nice effort and it seems to be competitively priced in the marketplace.

Would love to see a photo of the internals.

Steve

DustyC

« Reply #22 on: 24 Sep 2014, 05:45 am »
NAD is doing some forward thinking and offering some real "new" products as opposed to the typical improvements rolled out by the high end boutique firms. After looking at the feature set offered by the C390DD and giving it a listen with CD's I unloaded my tube and solid state gear to get one.
Future "preamps" will be simply DAC's with volume control, balance, etc. with the signal staying in the digital domain for amplification or running a conventional amp (like the Ncore). Hypex seems to be getting some real traction in the OEM market with some high end firms (Rogue comes to mind), enabling them to offer high power with reasonable cost.

jonbee

« Reply #23 on: 24 Sep 2014, 02:05 pm »
NAD is doing some forward thinking and offering some real "new" products as opposed to the typical improvements rolled out by the high end boutique firms. Future "preamps" will be simply DAC's with volume control, balance, etc. with the signal staying in the digital domain for amplification or running a conventional amp (like the Ncore). Hypex seems to be getting some real traction in the OEM market with some high end firms (Rogue comes to mind), enabling them to offer high power with reasonable cost.
+1
I sold my preamp and use an M51 DAC/pre with my N-core. It is an excellently designed and great sounding unit. NAD is making real attempts at developing new ideas. Their n-core is a real contribution, bringing that great sound to the non-DIY market. I think the price is very reasonable considering that the casework and warrantee both add real value.

OzarkTom

« Reply #24 on: 24 Sep 2014, 02:11 pm »
I have the plan. :D I will throw in $100, if we get 29 more here to throw in $100, I will order one and we can put it on a tour for everyone else here to  listen and compare to their own amps. :thumb:

rockadanny

« Reply #25 on: 24 Sep 2014, 02:26 pm »
This mentality of thinking everyone is a crook that doesn't give you their shit at cost is something I can't wait to die out largely as baby boomers die. It's literally crushed small businesses in communities and now national/international for many years.

Would love to see factual basis for this comment.

jonbee

« Reply #26 on: 24 Sep 2014, 03:33 pm »
I have the plan. :D I will throw in $100, if we get 29 more here to throw in $100, I will order one and we can put it on a tour for everyone else here to  listen and compare to their own amps. :thumb:
I'd do that. Who gets the amp at the end?

drubin

« Reply #27 on: 24 Sep 2014, 03:37 pm »
Doesn't matter. If won't be working by that time anyway.  :lol:

mr_bill

« Reply #28 on: 24 Sep 2014, 03:50 pm »

Do a drawing at the end from the $100 donor list.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 24 Sep 2014, 04:16 pm »
Doesn't matter. If won't be working by that time anyway.  :lol:
As I've proved (twice) it can be done.

OzarkTom

« Reply #30 on: 24 Sep 2014, 04:20 pm »

We could either have a drawing or sell the amp on the used market, providing it is still in one piece, and split he funds back. That should be a refund of $70-75.

mr_bill

« Reply #31 on: 24 Sep 2014, 04:44 pm »
We could either have a drawing or sell the amp on the used market, providing it is still in one piece, and split he funds back. That should be a refund of $70-75.

I thought about reselling it too, but then you have to disburse the funds and in a sense have a fiscal agent.  I wouldn't want that job but someone might.

OzarkTom

« Reply #32 on: 24 Sep 2014, 04:47 pm »
I thought about reselling it too, but then you have to disburse the funds and in a sense have a fiscal agent.  I wouldn't want that job but someone might.

It would be a Paypal gift.

mr_bill

« Reply #33 on: 24 Sep 2014, 04:50 pm »
That could be simple then - just need the accounts and a trustworthy contact to head it up.  You could also give them $100 for their troubles.

Folsom

« Reply #34 on: 24 Sep 2014, 06:28 pm »
Would love to see factual basis for this comment.

You must be joking? I was just at a farmers market listening to some old lady tell her granddaughter to check all the prices for buying. Heh, I can tell you they're all the same excluding a few special varieties, and occasionally the organic stuff might be a tiny bit different in price. Her reply? "No I'm not doing that, I'd be here for hours and hours....." so on. When do you NOT see this?

Factual basis? The 1970's. A decade of pressing coupons on people, along with personal responsibility of the environment etc to alleviate the pressure on the industries producing more than all non-industrial participants in the state.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 24 Sep 2014, 06:45 pm »
Salis Audio is correct.  The folks who claim they are being ripped off by companies charging too much clearly have never sat in a product development meeting at a small company and discussed retail pricing structures, cost of goods, cost of keeping a small business running, and margins.
Until one is intimately involved in the running of a small business which actually produces a physical product, I would suggest it might be wise to respect those who do understand such things as the costs of keeping a business running, pricing structures, and appropriate margins.

Folsom

« Reply #36 on: 24 Sep 2014, 07:24 pm »
Salis Audio is correct.  The folks who claim they are being ripped off by companies charging too much clearly have never sat in a product development meeting at a small company and discussed retail pricing structures, cost of goods, cost of keeping a small business running, and margins.
Until one is intimately involved in the running of a small business which actually produces a physical product, I would suggest it might be wise to respect those who do understand such things as the costs of keeping a business running, pricing structures, and appropriate margins.

Especially when it isn't backed by enough money that its success is only an ego goal associated with the believability in ideology of a small, local, business or whatever.

Put it to you this way, there's one coffee shop and several clothing places where I live that don't have to make profit, ever, but want to due to their mentality. It makes it hard for everyone else that does have to turn a profit to survive. Pet projects, if you will, for bored rich people.

strateahed

« Reply #37 on: 24 Sep 2014, 07:31 pm »
The M22 has greater headroom than the NC400/SMPS600 (according to NAD), has both balanced XLR and single-ended RCA inputs, a 12V trigger and a 3 year warranty.

The casework looks nicer than the majority of the DIY nCore projects that I've seen posted here, and has a very nice vent detail.

A nice effort and it seems to be competitively priced in the marketplace.

Steve

+1

rockadanny

« Reply #38 on: 24 Sep 2014, 09:31 pm »
You must be joking?

No I was not joking. That is why I asked. I was curious as to the basis for your anticipation of the supposed death of an attitude by the death of specific age-class of human beings. Whether it was anecdotal or scientifically based. Now I know.  :roll:

Folsom

« Reply #39 on: 24 Sep 2014, 10:07 pm »
No I was not joking. That is why I asked. I was curious as to the basis for your anticipation of the supposed death of an attitude by the death of specific age-class of human beings. Whether it was anecdotal or scientifically based. Now I know.  :roll:

The professional world of sociology consists more of immoral jobs that work to influence these very factors. Ask a sociologist sometime.