Silver Circle Audio - Adding DC Filter and Furutech Outlets

snowblind

Greetings All.

I picked up a used Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One 5.0 about 6 years ago. What a big, heavy, beast. Here is an old review - https://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0410/silver_circle_pure_power_one_5.htm

Over the course of the next few months I noticed a rattle coming from the 75lb transformer when the system was off. Internet searches identified the problem as "DC in my AC" - The HORROR!

I picked up one of these High Current DC Traps @ https://www.atlhifi.com/shop/fully-assembled-devices/high-power-dc-blocker-trap-filter-assembled-device/, and then stuck it in a closet. This thing is huge!

Three years later and I was ready to do the install. :duh: Since I waited so long I decided to do a few other upgrades at the same time.

I popped the top and then removed the blinding blue LED light and the On/Off switch from the front panel. Removing the switch gave me just enough room to mount the DC blocker vertical in the corner and I was also able to reuse all the switch wiring and termination.

I swapped the inlet socket and all the duplex sockets for Furutech NCF and added the NCF insulators. I also replaced the spike feet with Black Diamond Racing carbon fiber cones and pucks and added Synergistic fuses.

That's a wrap!

Best,
Matt

uncola

Re: Silver Circle Audio - Adding DC Filter and Furutech Outlets
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2023, 10:05 am »
cool update to your isolation transformer!

brj

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2023, 07:36 pm »
Nice work!

Where did you get the iEC and receptacle bump-outs?  They look pretty clean!

snowblind

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2023, 01:24 am »
Where did you get the iEC and receptacle bump-outs?  They look pretty clean!

They are Furutech. I can't remember exactly where I purchased them but they probably came from Europe or Japan. Not sure that anybody in the US had them.

They are expensive for what you get. Pretty much just plastic with adhesive pads. I love the look though and they do a good job keeping the plugs "insulated".

- Matt

snowblind

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2023, 07:35 pm »
I just remembered where I purchased. Hifiheaven.net in Green Bay, WI.

Matt

davesch

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2024, 09:51 pm »
I am curious how the unit performs after your upgrades? I have the same unit and may consider doing the same things you have done. Appreciate your thoughts !  Thanks Dave

snowblind

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2024, 06:58 pm »
I am curious how the unit performs after your upgrades? I have the same unit and may consider doing the same things you have done. Appreciate your thoughts !  Thanks Dave

Hi Dave.

For these upgrades I had two specific goals. #1 - Eliminate DC power contamination, and #2 - Continue the product evolution shown in the PURE POWER ONE 5.0SE and TCHAIK 6.

In my home the PPONE would intermittently "rattle" due to DC power contamination. This was not an audible buzz through the speakers, rather it was a physical rattle/buzz from inside the PPONE. The addition of the DC trap filter has completely silenced this rattle.  :thumb:

For the other upgrades I can't comment on any audible differences. My system sounds fantastic but it sounded fantastic before the upgrades.

I used the following info from Silver Circle to plan my upgrades. - https://www.lauferteknik.com/product-descriptions-silver-circle-audio

PURE POWER ONE 5.0SE
I had been wondering how to improve upon the performance of the Pure Power One 5.0 when I received a call from Scot Markwell, manager of Elite AV Distribution, the importer of Furutech products.

He mentioned that Furutech was releasing a new receptacle, the GT-XD series, and he felt they were exceptional. Skip ahead: I tried them, and they were BEYOND exceptional. They are, bar none, the finest receptacles made anywhere. Exceptional receptacles, if you will.

That led to the question: offer the 5.0with a choice of receptacles as an upgrade, or as a wholly new product? The answer lay in several other improvements that we decided to incorporate. We were introduced to HiFi Tuning Fuses, imported into the US by The Cable Company in New Hope, PA. They are far from inexpensive, but they improve the sound immensely. The new unit would use the HiFi Tuning Fuses Supremes!

Then we got to thinking about what else could be upgraded to further improve the sound of the 5.0.

The 10 AWG silver-plated wire we used inside the 5.0s is a fabulous conductor that accurately relays the information fed into and through it. The blocking points or points of restricted power transfer were at the points where silver-plated wire met tin-plated ring terminals or stainless steel jumpers in terminal blocks.  We turned to our metal fabricator and had them make up high quality jumpers for the terminal blocks. The jumpers and copper ring terminals went to a metal coatings company here in Houston, for a double-thickness plating of gold.

The Pure Power One 5.0 with all the upgrades mentioned has been designated the "SE," or special edition. And it is indeed, special.  Most who have bought it say that it has brought the "giggle factor" back to listening sessions. "It makes the music more organic."

The specs are pretty much the same for the "SE" as the Pure Power One 5.0.  The receptacles, gold terminal block jumpers, gold-plated ring terminals, HiFi Tuning Fuses are the internal changes. The front panel of the "SE" is gold anodized aluminum. The dimensions are the same as the Pure Power One 5.0.

TCHAIK 6
 Just as the new Furutech GT-XD receptacles helped spawn the Pure Power One5.0SE, the development of Magnetic Innovations' new Wave Stabilizers have helped spawn our new TCHAIK 6. Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky wrote 6 symphonies, the sixth of which was also named the "Pathetique."

The third movement of this symphony encompasses all that is great in music: delicate strings and woodwinds, flowing sweeping strings, powerful low brass and percussion. It is the only time I have heard and seen an audience almost burst into cheers at the conclusion of a single movement that was not the finale.

The Wave Stabilizers were developed by Rick Schultz of Magnetic Innovations.

This new product includes the following:
Five (5) Wave Stabilizer modules; 2 on the input (hot and neutral), 2 on the output; 1 on the ground

Matt

davesch

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2024, 07:52 pm »
Matt,

Thanks for that information. I have the buzz that happens at times like you did. I can make it happen when we have a hair dryer going in the bathroom. (weird) So, I will do that upgrade for sure. Can you tell me which Synergistic Research fuses you used? Also, what is your opinion of the overall improvements that you have noticed after your changes to the PPOne and do you feel it was worth the time and money spent for the results? Appreciate your thoughts! Dave

snowblind

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2024, 08:06 pm »
Matt,

Thanks for that information. I have the buzz that happens at times like you did. I can make it happen when we have a hair dryer going in the bathroom. (weird) So, I will do that upgrade for sure. Can you tell me which Synergistic Research fuses you used? Also, what is your opinion of the overall improvements that you have noticed after your changes to the PPOne and do you feel it was worth the time and money spent for the results? Appreciate your thoughts! Dave

Hi Dave. You will like the DC blocker. I used Synergistic Orange fuses.

There were no noticeable changes to me. I can hear differences when "A/B"ing equipment but it took a couple a couple of days to get everything installed and a few more to burn in and that is too long a delay for me to provide what I consider to be "accurate" feedback. My reasons for upgrading was more because I plan on keeping the PPONE for a long time and wanted to overbuild for the future. I had a number of Furutech power cables with NCF Connectors so it made sense to add NCF outlets to the PPONE.

Best,
Matt

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2024, 08:25 pm »
Old hairdryers and teapots operating in the low-heat mode are the best examples of causes for DC offset buzz. They switch a power diode in series, so that only half-wave current is used.

Most modern sources of DC offset only operate intermittently. Things like HVAC and heating units (hot water, cloths drying & cooking).

So the DC buzz would come & go as the noisy appliance switched on/off.

davesch

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2024, 02:22 am »
Matt,

Thanks for the info. That is helpful to me. I don't plan on obtaining another power conditioner as I am on the "back side" of life and just want something to work as best as it can until my music listening days are gone. Really appreciate the info and hope you don't mind if I reach out again when I start working on the unit if I have questions.

Kevin,

Appreciate your explanation of the hair dryer effect. I had no idea that an AC appliance could cause the DC effect. Learn something new everyday!

Dave

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2024, 02:18 pm »
Way back then appliance rectified the AC line to 1/2 wave DC, which caused lots of DC offset.
Now, modern appliances (and most other items) have a Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS). They convert the 50/60 Hz AC to high frequency AC and then to DC. This generates lots of high harmonics back on the AC power line. And they cause the AC line to have an asymmetrical wave form. This is the equivalent to a DC offset.
But I think the much of what audiophiles call DC offset is actually:
a] High AC line voltage. Over the decades line voltage has been creeping upward. Now 125 Volts is becoming common. A transformer designed for a lower voltage might saturate with over voltage.
b] Just mechanical looseness.