AudioCircle Limited Edition phono preamp

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: AudioCircle Limited Edition phono preamp
« Reply #40 on: 29 Aug 2009, 04:24 am »
hi boris, a few questions about "special requests"...   8) 

would it be possible to get sockets installed instead of hard-wiring the components that set cartridge loading and gain?  this would make it relatively easy to change, by swapping out resistors/etc, instead of the complicated switches/larger case/etc, that you mentioned would be necessary to change values, w/o compromising sonics.

and, could different resistors be specified, ie: riken-ohm?  might be nice, like for the passive riaa & gain?  what do you think?

finally, would the burson discrete op-amps be a viable replacement to the op-amps you use?

thanks,

doug s.

Audiovista

« Reply #41 on: 29 Aug 2009, 09:04 pm »
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the inquiry!

Sockets for the gain and loading are not feasible, as these parts are surface mounted devices (SMD). If a customer changes cartridge to one requiring different gain/loading, these parameters can be changed free of charge. Direct customers only, indirect customers would pay a nominal fee ($50).

Different resistors can be used, but it would be difficult for me to source them in single-unit quantities. If a customer provides them in adequate packaging, I would install them free of charge. For the passive RIAA either SMD or through-hole components can be used.

Burson is not suitable for this application. Definitely not for the first gain stage - there is a chance that they may be used in the second gain stage. Mechanical fit would need to be checked.

Thanks again!
Boris

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #42 on: 16 Sep 2009, 05:28 pm »
Hi Boris,

I just dreamed up a question.  Does the phono preamp uses opamps?
 :scratch:
Shek

Audiovista

« Reply #43 on: 17 Sep 2009, 12:28 am »
Hi Boris,

I just dreamed up a question.  Does the phono preamp uses opamps?
 :scratch:
Shek

Hi Shek - yes it does. Complete design details are on the website and on AC.

Best,
Boris

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #44 on: 20 Sep 2009, 12:16 pm »
Count me in.

I want one :D

Mike

Hi Mike,

I thought I'd post here, to thank you for lending me your limited edition VA phono amp.  Your generosity will be reciprocated of course.

I woke up early this morning.  First thing was I jumped out of bed to set up the VA phono stage.  I must admit, this is the first time I got serious, in 10+ years, to get back into vinyl.  So, I dusted up an old LP, David and Igor Oistrakh's Bach violin concertos on DGG.  Dropped the needle (old last generation of Shure V15) down onto the LP.  Out the sound boxes came warm glorious sounds.  After about half hour's listening, here's my take.  The sound is very transparent (more below), and warm.  Spatiality is great, of course.  The shape of the orchestra is very vivid in the space.  I'm not an audio reviewer; my adjective vocabulary is limited :nono:.

The reason I wanted to borrow your VA phono stage is also because I just rediscovered last week my old Lehmann black box from years ago (1st generatiion).  Somehow it fell out of the closet when I was perusing for something else.  So, I was able to A-B listen.  The Lehmann is competent, but it lacks the transparency of the VA.  I also now have to find out how to fix the hum coming off the Lehmann setup.  The AV does not have such a problem, dead quiet.  Even though I rediscovered the Lehmann, now I have a dilemma of whether to commit to an AV, as I mentioned to Boris, since I have been out of the vinyl domain so long.  The lure of the LP sound definitely got me debating myself.

Boris, your AV phono stage got me thinking, thinking hard......  :scratch: :duh: :duh:

Shek
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2010, 03:13 am by goldlizsts »

Audiovista

« Reply #45 on: 21 Sep 2009, 01:17 am »

Boris, your AV phono stage got me thinking, thinking hard......  :scratch: :duh: :duh:

Shek

Hi Shek - I like that!  :thumb:

Many thanks for taking time to write the review. Also big thanks to Mike for generously sharing his unit. You guys rock!  :notworthy:

Audiovista

« Reply #46 on: 10 Jan 2010, 01:07 am »
I stumbled upon this cool paint and had to try it...

This is an MM version with ACLE-grade parts.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #47 on: 11 Jan 2010, 07:29 pm »
Cool it is.

charles

BobM

« Reply #48 on: 11 Jan 2010, 07:50 pm »
John (toobluvr) let me hear this little gem a short while ago. No, it's not quite a giant killer but I can't think of anything I would want instead for double or triple the price. It should be selling up around the Lehman Black cube price point, and I'm not so sure that it wouldn't trounce that one too.

Nice little product here and certainly a no brainer for anyone in need of something inexpensive that kicks butt.

Enjoy,
Bob
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2010, 09:14 pm by BobM »

toobluvr

« Reply #49 on: 11 Jan 2010, 08:27 pm »
That was mine you heard Bob.......or maybe you liked it so much you went back for more!

:lol:

BobM

« Reply #50 on: 11 Jan 2010, 09:15 pm »
Yup - you're right John, it was you. My mistake - sorry (and updated above). In any case it is a nice little unit.

drphoto

« Reply #51 on: 4 Feb 2011, 03:57 am »
I know this thread is a little old. Is the AC version still available? I'm thinking I might want to try dedicated phono pre. My Mapletree is a little noisy at the gain required for my Denon DL-160.

Audiovista

« Reply #52 on: 4 Feb 2011, 12:07 pm »
Activity slowed down.... but yes, the AC version is still available, price is the same and lead time is 4-5 weeks.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #53 on: 5 Feb 2011, 02:31 am »
I know this thread is a little old. Is the AC version still available? I'm thinking I might want to try dedicated phono pre. My Mapletree is a little noisy at the gain required for my Denon DL-160.

I was just lent a VA phono 1 to use in place of the TEC TC760lc I bought from you, and so far the Phono 1 is superior. Running an ancient Denon DP52f with a new Ortofon MC 25E cartridge.