ModWright Transporter Cabling......!

Philistine

Re: ModWright Transporter Cabling......!
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jul 2009, 02:18 am »
Hi everyone,

I understand from several postings (likely in the famous tube rolling thread) that a direct ethernet connection from a computer might be better than the wireless connection.  Well, I've been using wireless networking on my Transporter, and I'm thinking of going to a Mac mini direct connection.  So, my question is: other than using as short as possible of a lead, is there any such thing as a better or worse ethernet cable to hook into the Transporter?  (FYI - still loving my EML with TS round plates!!!)  :).  Thanks in advance for any comments...

Jim

Jim, I've been switching between wireless and a Home Plug (Ethernet via power line) and preferred the Home Plug option.  However the Home Plug option was unreliable in terms of getting a consistent connection.  A few weeks ago I installed a direct ethernet connection and just used regular unshielded Cat 5E cable, nothing special.  After reading other threads on AC, and other forums, this appeared to be the option to use.
Phil

rydenfan

« Reply #41 on: 13 Jul 2009, 02:24 am »
By the way, I've been having outstanding results from a small firm's cabling: Franck Tchang's liveline series.  I'm all in with interconnects, speaker, and power cables.  Don't know what the price is now, but these are phenomenal.  6Moons has a review or two on these.

Jim

The Livelines are certainly an amazing cable. After you listen to them you understand why Frank used the word Live in their name  :wink: One word of advice is that these cables are certainly not for those looking for any sort of tone control. They are extremely neutral and will truly allow you to hear the sound of your system and the recording.

jwes

« Reply #42 on: 13 Jul 2009, 01:17 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Looks like unshielded Cat 5 is the way to go.

On the Liveline cables - if you get a chance also try the power cables.  I found one of those to  boost the entire system (although I have four)  :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #43 on: 13 Jul 2009, 01:44 pm »
By the way, I've been having outstanding results from a small firm's cabling: Franck Tchang's liveline series.  I'm all in with interconnects, speaker, and power cables.  Don't know what the price is now, but these are phenomenal.  6Moons has a review or two on these.

Jim

The Livelines are certainly an amazing cable. After you listen to them you understand why Frank used the word Live in their name  :wink: One word of advice is that these cables are certainly not for those looking for any sort of tone control. They are extremely neutral and will truly allow you to hear the sound of your system and the recording.

ANy website?

jwes

« Reply #44 on: 13 Jul 2009, 02:13 pm »
Love the major award!!   :lol:

I don't think Franck ever made a website - I was introduced through a few 6moons reviewers that I've followed.  Other than that, Darren at avataracoustics.com can help you out.  He's the U.S. distributor.  Last I looked Darren didn't have much on his web site but there might be more now.  The "brand" is ASI (Acoustic System Int'l).  Good luck!

Mr P

« Reply #45 on: 14 Jul 2009, 02:16 am »

[/quote]

I totally agree.  Amazing cables and not for tone control.  I have been running a balanced pair from my Transporter to pre-amp for 2 months and an unbalanced pair from pre-amp to amp for the past month.  Each addition was a major upgrade in sound quality. 

rydenfan

« Reply #46 on: 14 Jul 2009, 02:50 am »
Glad to see a few others enjoying Frank's cables as well  :thumb: I would certainly like to hear one of his power cords in the near future. And from what I hear, Frank feel the speaker cables are the best cable he has so I imagine they are quite good.

For those interested here are some glowing reviews:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticsystem5/liveline.html
http://www.stereotimes.com/cable063009.shtml

jwes

« Reply #47 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:37 pm »
For those trying the Franck Tchang (ASI) Liveline series - make sure to try inverting the direction of the interconnects!  Depending on your system, one way or the other will be clearly better.  Both my tubed Transporter and pre-amp benefit from inverted direction on the interconnects.  Speaker cables from my Spectron amps are the "as intended" direction, and, well, power cables can only go one way...  :lol:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #48 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:55 pm »
I tried reversing but it didn't sound nearly as good, in fact it sucked.  No sound at all.  Oh...my Livelines are the balanced XLR version.   :D

jwes

« Reply #49 on: 31 Aug 2009, 05:14 pm »
I tried reversing but it didn't sound nearly as good, in fact it sucked.  No sound at all.  Oh...my Livelines are the balanced XLR version.   :D
:icon_lol: