OB-7 Amp/Pre

Venturi

OB-7 Amp/Pre
« on: 23 Dec 2009, 06:31 pm »
hi, new member here but i’ve been following this forum circle for months (half a year?) now. but it’s my first time to post  :D.

after building a pair of OB-7 (i’ll post some pictures to share in a separate thread when i get a chance), my wife and i enjoy listening to music more than watching movies. i had to sell my 5.1 surround speakers (b&w 7 series) to fund the OB-7 project (+ servo sub) and i’m having no regrets so far. i’m still waiting on the servo plate amp to arrive but i’m starting to consider reconfiguring my audio system to bring out the best of the OB-7s and the servo sub, thus the reason for this post.

i prefer listening to music in 2-ch stereo but i still don’t know if that’s also the case for movies (sound quality over surround experience). but since i’m left with only a pair of speakers, i intend to replace my surround pre-pro and amp with a better system in playing music and maybe 2-ch movies within similar (used) price range. i won’t worry about the surround format decoding since i can let my PC decode and downmix to 2ch PCM.

currently i have a rotel rsp-1068 and a rotel rmb-1075, my first question would be the difference of the dac in the rotel and standalone dacs (e.g. dB Audio Labs, TriVista 21). the rotel’s dac is already hi-res but what other significant reasons can a dedicated dac provide over the rsp-1068 pre-pro? also, there’s no point in using a 5-ch amplifier driving stereo speakers, what amps out there that are significantly better at 2-ch reproduction and within the sub $1k range (preferrably used)? i’m open to building an amp kit as well if it will significantly reduce the cost without a hit in the performance.

i am in progress of my research and would appreciate any help, since the OB-7s will be one of my system’s core element i thought it’s fitting to ask here.

thanks and merry christmas!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: OB-7 Amp/Pre
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2009, 07:15 pm »
I always liked Rotel gear.  Is there something about the sound you're not liking?

You can get a pair of brand new Outlaw 200 watt monoblocks for $674 shipped.  I've read some good stuff about them.  I want to get a pair myself.

I lived with watching movies in 2.1 for years so I understand a bit what you're going through.  You may want to look for a decent outboard dac and perhaps a vacuum tube preamp if you're going to stick with 2-channel.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2009, 07:18 pm »
First, how loud you like it and how big of a room you are trying to fill?

Try the virtue 2 amp with big power supply?
If that isn't enough, I would try the wyred 4 sound stereo amps. The smallest 100w/ch sell new for  $1000 (if you are patient you will see them available for a little less used.) They have the drive and current to handle the ob7 in home theater applications and should be great for music (based on my experience with ps audio c-100, similar power amp on my ob7) I think wyred has a better product based on research, but not direct experience.

But with that power amp, you need some kind of preamp/vol control. Might find passive attenuator option. I got one off of ebay and put it in a box for about $20-$25 in parts, and it did pretty nice job.

-Tony

dvenardos

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2009, 07:35 pm »
I haven't heard them but Danny highly recommends the Dodd Audio products.
http://doddaudio.com/default.aspx

I have a Virtue Two that I really like, but am not using it with the OB-7.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2009, 07:59 pm »
Well the dodd stuff in the 1k range is going to be low wattage, not sure its a good fit for the Ob7, but maybe...

-Tony

srb

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2009, 08:33 pm »
Many people who have owned the RMB-1075, have upgraded to the RB-1080 (~ $500+ used) and RB-1090 (~ $1000+ used, but harder to find) for 2 channel duties and felt it was more than a subtle improvement over the 1075.

To improve on those you would have to spend your max budget and more for something like a used Parasound Halo A21 or the Audio by VanAlstine Insight 440 or Fet Valve Ultra 350/550, as examples.

I believe the RSP-1068 has the same DACs as my RSX-1056, although the preamp section may be a tad better.  I have tried several midrange DACs (MHDT Paradisea and Stello D100 Signature) and found them to sound only a little bit better than the Rotel DACs.  I think you can substantially improve on the Rotel's DAC, but I think it might take a little more money than the $400 - $500 used range that I have experimented with.

I am waiting to get some feedback on some of the newer DACs, such as the AVA Vision, the Eastern Electric Tube DAC, and the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1, although these will cost between $750 and $1200, and would be an even longer wait to find their way into the used market.

Steve

Venturi

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2009, 08:54 pm »
first, thanks for all the replies.

there's really nothing wrong with the rotels, i'm just curious if it's wise to sell them and replace them with something else in the same price range, maybe a bit more. right now, they have features that i can't really use in my 2.1 setup so maybe there are better and more appropriate solutions for me. there's only one hi-fi store in my town and no way to audition most things that i only see in the internet.

the room is a bit big (25’ x 30’) that opens upstairs and to other small rooms. i’m really curious what difference an outboard dac can do in comparison to the rsp-1068. with all the hype on these dacs, it is leaving an impression on me that it is one of the most significant upgrades i have to consider. i’m also considering tube amps, there are a few china made amps that are making an impression on some audio circles. i have a guitar tube amp and i can tell the difference between a SS and actually prefer the tube sound.

regarding how loud do i like my ob-7 to play, it depends on what type of music i am listening to (dictated by the mood). i crank them as loud as they can be until i find realism in the sound of the distorted guitars. i was in a rock/metal band in college so i’m looking for that sound level we used to play back then. same also when listening to orchestras but when i listen to e.g. jazz , volume is turned up just up to the level when music comes to life. out of topic but i like diana krall and nina simone in these speakers.

thanks steve, was one of the replies i was looking for.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:21 am »
Be wary of any audio hype.  An outboard dac may be somewhat better than your Rotel but it may not be as big as you think.  Not saying it isn't worth checking out.

Tube amps for home audio are a bit different than tube guitar amps.  And considering how big your room is I would still recommend ss power with a tube preamp.

Eh, do what you want. :green:

stevecuss

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2009, 03:39 pm »
Corndog,

could you elaborate on your comment about guitar tube amps and home audio tube amps?  I ask because I also am a guitar player who MASSIVELY prefers the tube sound over SS.  I have Rotel 980 seperates and have been wondering about getting a tube integrated instead.  I guess I've always assumed the difference would be as obvious as it is in the guitar world.

I've been thinking an ideal next step setup for me would be a dac/pre with a couple of digital inputs and maybe one analog input run through a tube power amp like the quicksilver or old Dynaco

peace

Steve

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2009, 06:46 pm »
I just demo-ed a Peachtree Nova a month or so ago and was really impressed with it.

See it here: http://signalpathint.com/index.php/Nova/Introducing-Nova.html

I am really considering becoming a dealer for them for 2010. So if you are interested in one please let me know. I can't discount them, but I can bundle one with a loudspeaker kit and discount my kits to go with it (package deal).

I will try to type up a review as soon as I get a chance. In short, highly recommended.

stevecuss

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2009, 07:06 pm »
Danny,
funny you mentioned it - I was really impressed with the Nova at RMAF.  My good friend just bought a refurb Decco and loves it and I know the Nova isa few notches up, DAC wise.  That as a front end with power tube amp might make for a killer combo

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2009, 10:27 pm »
I just demo-ed a Peachtree Nova a month or so ago and was really impressed with it.

See it here: http://signalpathint.com/index.php/Nova/Introducing-Nova.html

I am really considering becoming a dealer for them for 2010. So if you are interested in one please let me know. I can't discount them, but I can bundle one with a loudspeaker kit and discount my kits to go with it (package deal).

I will try to type up a review as soon as I get a chance. In short, highly recommended.

Hi Danny,

Wow that looks amazing, I would have bought one if I hadnt already ordered the integrated Dodd and bought a PS Audio DAC!