Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Rod_S

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2060 on: 9 Jun 2017, 09:10 pm »
I'm clearly missing some key aspect of enabling this enhanced Artist View. Can someone explain what I need to do in order to see it? I've rebuilt my DB and that didn't work.

And I did load the beta software.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2061 on: 10 Jun 2017, 12:56 am »
I'm clearly missing some key aspect of enabling this enhanced Artist View. Can someone explain what I need to do in order to see it? I've rebuilt my DB and that didn't work.

And I did load the beta software.

Its a feature currently in development only available in the test builds.

Rod_S

« Reply #2062 on: 10 Jun 2017, 04:12 pm »
So it's actually not part of the latest beta because that's what I have loaded?

Marius

« Reply #2063 on: 10 Jun 2017, 05:55 pm »
Hi Chris,

Where can we find the Favorite setting? I see it in the latest feature list of the (beta) updates, but can't find it in settings .

Cheers Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2064 on: 10 Jun 2017, 07:28 pm »
Hi Chris,

Where can we find the Favorite setting? I see it in the latest feature list of the (beta) updates, but can't find it in settings .

Cheers Marius

It should be a star to the right of the shuffle button, not visible on handhelds.  When I song is playing the song can be favorited and any artist with a favorited song will show star next to there name in the column on the left.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2065 on: 10 Jun 2017, 07:32 pm »
So it's actually not part of the latest beta because that's what I have loaded?

The user space must also be using the ext filesystem, this can be checked in disk information, if it isn't (still fat32) a factory reset will update it.  The bdp with also need internet access

Marius

« Reply #2066 on: 10 Jun 2017, 07:40 pm »
It should be a star to the right of the shuffle button, not visible on handhelds.  When I song is playing the song can be favorited and any artist with a favorited song will show star next to there name in the column on the left.

Thanks I was looking on iPhone indeed....

Would you be able to expand this functionality to favoriting folders? That way one can mark a few favorite points in the library ?

Cheers Marius

Marius

« Reply #2067 on: 11 Jun 2017, 06:48 pm »

not working as expected yet i guess.. Ive starred an Ella Fitzgerald album , but don't see any stars in the left column? What am i doing wrong Chris?

Extra question: could you have the alphabet for selecting Artists above the left column also (as you display in default view)? It would finding artist that much quicker, especially since there is no selective criterium in the left column anymore.. All recordings are shown, no matter where the reside in the library.

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2068 on: 11 Jun 2017, 07:12 pm »

not working as expected yet i guess.. Ive starred an Ella Fitzgerald album , but don't see any stars in the left column? What am i doing wrong Chris?

Extra question: could you have the alphabet for selecting Artists above the left column also (as you display in default view)? It would finding artist that much quicker, especially since there is no selective criterium in the left column anymore.. All recordings are shown, no matter where the reside in the library.

Cheers,
Marius

It could be something else, but currently the star won't show up until after the artist menu on the left is reloaded.

Right now you can use the search feature to find what your looking for, unfortunately its currently cap sensitive and not available on smart phones due to how things get resized.  I'm thinking of placing a search/filter field to always display at the top.

Marius

« Reply #2069 on: 11 Jun 2017, 08:11 pm »
It could be something else, but currently the star won't show up until after the artist menu on the left is reloaded.

Right now you can use the search feature to find what your looking for, unfortunately its currently cap sensitive and not available on smart phones due to how things get resized.  I'm thinking of placing a search/filter field to always display at the top.

I believe it was reloaded, but ill try again.

about the alphabet selector, this is what i meant:

Could really be helpful in the left column Artist view.

Cheers,
Marius 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2070 on: 11 Jun 2017, 10:03 pm »

I believe it was reloaded, but ill try again.

Just refreshing the browser page would do it, it could be a bug, it was a very last minute thing I added Friday night

Marius

« Reply #2071 on: 12 Jun 2017, 08:12 am »
HI Chris, all,

Artist view reveals a lot, especially my tags are completely messed up..... :o

Check these:

Ive used MusicBrainz Picard, Sbooth's Tag, and several other tag editors, but none of these reveal the strange titles MM displays in Artist View. Granted the Artist tag at first was wrong (the track numbers where tagged instead of artist) thus the artist view in the left panel displayed artist 01, 02 03 etc etc. Ive corrected that to Ella Fitzgerald..

Still, the strange tags are still there, and the tracks are still shown in the left panel as albums. I've rebuilt the DB, refreshed cache etc etc.

Does one need to update the Bryston DB after editing tags? IS there a way to selective updating the DB or should we rebuild it completely, after editing several tags on only one album....

Does MM add several tags of it's own here. Jumeau, Bloom, Undefined???

Also, while I've disabled the cover art optimization, MM still adds those BDP art files into the library. Is that expected behavior (related to the Artist view maybe)? I expected it to stop disabling the optimization.

Cheers,
Marius

Found this in the html source view:

Seems MM fills these in? Ive also added a deep search into the files themselves and optional tag data but they don't show any sings of jumeau Bloom, etc etc.

Marius

« Reply #2072 on: 12 Jun 2017, 10:51 am »

A but it is!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2073 on: 12 Jun 2017, 02:29 pm »
sorry, i was referring to the favourites button to toggle a song as a favourite not being visible on handhelds.  Yes rebuilding the database is needed after updating tag data.  If tag information isn't found for a file it will attempt to use the files path to figure out the artist, album, track name and track number.  By default i think it uses

/Artist/Album/1. Track Name

This can be changed on the cd backup page, on its settings page.

Marius

« Reply #2074 on: 12 Jun 2017, 02:54 pm »
sorry, i was referring to the favourites button to toggle a song as a favourite not being visible on handhelds.  Yes rebuilding the database is needed after updating tag data.  If tag information isn't found for a file it will attempt to use the files path to figure out the artist, album, track name and track number.  By default i think it uses

/Artist/Album/1. Track Name

This can be changed on the cd backup page, on its settings page.

Thanks Chris.
Could you add/ enable a selective updating per folder? I know we have that for newly added files (showing the + sign in red) but changing tags doesn't show in MM interface just yet. Having a selective update button at hand could work miracles (and not force the user to update the entire database or at least the full Drive for a mere few tags changed.

As for the strange words in the untagged files: Ill have a look at that file path, but am almost certain they do not appear there. Why MM fills these in the relevant tag-positions is somewhat unclear :scratch:

update:
check this:   
i've looked at the backup settings, but all fields are clear, so i guess it all works as default? Still, these strange artist names are not in my library. MM must have put it there? Bit scary really.

Anyways,
Thanks,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #2075 on: 12 Jun 2017, 08:44 pm »
new post because some progress seems to be made (although the strong titels are still to be solved)

It would really be very welcome to be able to update selectively, and , added to, that be able to update the same selective folders in the Artist view DB. As it stands now, we have to do a full update of the DB, and consecutively a full rebuild of the Artist view DB takes place. It might be the BDP1 struggling, i am fully aware, but not having to do a full rebuild might help a lot. Chris, would this be possible at all?

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2076 on: 13 Jun 2017, 12:36 am »
The BDP-2 and 3 are much faster, one of the reasons I'm not to concerned about it, really the only disadvantage I see is initial setup and when new albums/tracks are added.  Benchmarking a 30k library the BDP-1 was 7 minutes, the BDP-2 not quite 3 minutes and a BDP-3 was just under 90 seconds.

We should have another update tomorrow that will see but not limited to

If song is favorited the artist doesn't already have a star next to it, it should show immediately
On the mobile view, when selecting an artist a text box will be present to enter a name (not case sensitive)
The search field on the desktop/tablet view of the artist view will use behave like the above
Band names containing "and" / "or" should return results

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #2077 on: 13 Jun 2017, 07:04 am »
The BDP-2 and 3 are much faster, one of the reasons I'm not to concerned about it, really the only disadvantage I see is initial setup and when new albums/tracks are added.  Benchmarking a 30k library the BDP-1 was 7 minutes, the BDP-2 not quite 3 minutes and a BDP-3 was just under 90 seconds.

We should have another update tomorrow that will see but not limited to

If song is favorited the artist doesn't already have a star next to it, it should show immediately
On the mobile view, when selecting an artist a text box will be present to enter a name (not case sensitive)
The search field on the desktop/tablet view of the artist view will use behave like the above
Band names containing "and" / "or" should return results

Cheers
Chris

Please see  that alone as a compelling reason for creating a selective update/add functionality to the BrystonDB. Add the Change Tags-process and there's even more reason .. :( 

Making the BDP1 users happier has to be an added bonus :thumb: .

btw 30K tracks wouldn't need a BDP3 in the first place. It would be very interesting to see some benchmark results of bigger libraries the BDP1-2 can't handle.

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2078 on: 13 Jun 2017, 02:26 pm »
btw 30K tracks wouldn't need a BDP3 in the first place.

But we only sell BDP-3's and BDP-Pi's

I'll look into it, but the feature will likely to be very low on the todo list

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #2079 on: 13 Jun 2017, 02:36 pm »
But we only sell BDP-3's and BDP-Pi's

I'll look into it, but the feature will likely to be very low on the todo list

Cheers,
Chris

Lol.
I know. You used to sell BDP-1 and 2's though..... I imagine one needs some sort of incentive to upgrade. Library handling might be one of them.

Ive pinned one of the many tag issues in my library down. Apparently MM scans the 00. (HTOA).flac files. They're supposed tp be Hidden (Track One Audio)  ...
I can simply delete them, but maybe you could exclude them from scanning, to let the other software be able to use these files?

Cheers,
Marius