Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1660 on: 19 Mar 2016, 02:21 pm »
The two new drop down menu's under the media player settings page only effect the default view (three columns).  The idea is when you click the back button and it brings the last folder into view it then brings either the back button into view or the transport controls.

The intended order of the artist view to get cover art goes as follows currently

Looks for bryston_bdp-44.jpg, if not found it looks for a jpg or png with a file name specified in your priority list (suppose to not be case sensitive).  It currently stops there.

vonnie123

« Reply #1661 on: 20 Mar 2016, 07:50 am »
Like the reverse screen settings..... :thumb: :thumb:

Krutsch

« Reply #1662 on: 20 Mar 2016, 01:10 pm »
The two new drop down menu's under the media player settings page only effect the default view (three columns).  The idea is when you click the back button and it brings the last folder into view it then brings either the back button into view or the transport controls.

The intended order of the artist view to get cover art goes as follows currently

Looks for bryston_bdp-44.jpg, if not found it looks for a jpg or png with a file name specified in your priority list (suppose to not be case sensitive).  It currently stops there.

Ok, thanks. I'm traveling this week. I will dig into this, next weekend.

Marius

« Reply #1663 on: 22 Mar 2016, 08:56 am »
Hi Chris,

Not sure where to post this question, and maybe it's been covered before (..)

Right now I've attached 3 WD Passports to my BDP1. 2 to the back usb ports, 1 to the front. Since those ports divide all available usb power, would it be any issue if i attached some sort of usb-switch to one of the back ports, and hookup all 3 Passport from there? front usb looks silly really with the cable sticking out, and the harddrive in full frontal view.. Id rather hide it ;)

I know 3 passports are a heavy burden for the BDP1, but it works really well. Reloading a full library, or re-indexing sometimes need several tries, but if all hard work is done, the BDP1 manages fine.

Would hope that a port powered usb switch at the back would give the same result?

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1664 on: 22 Mar 2016, 10:35 pm »
HI Chris,

dEUS shows up in the correct place (ignore case), librarydoctor finds and kills crossfade.jpg (among others), a better focus in the MM windows with controls in view, inverted colors for better visibility. What can i say but a great thank you!  :thumb: :thumb:
A big leap for this latest beta-firmware indeed.

Cheers,

Marius

« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2016, 09:20 am by Marius »

Ritchief

« Reply #1665 on: 24 Mar 2016, 11:58 am »
Hi All,

On the BDP1 Settings screen is is constantly showing the CPU as over 100% is this normal???......I don't seem to recall this being the case...

For example — Services - CPU:109.5% - MEM:97.9% - SWAP: 25%

Equally, now the BDP is taking between 30-60 seconds for the webpage to appear or to move around the varying screens.

Thank you.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1666 on: 24 Mar 2016, 04:15 pm »
Hi All,

On the BDP1 Settings screen is is constantly showing the CPU as over 100% is this normal???......I don't seem to recall this being the case...

Equally, now the BDP is taking between 30-60 seconds for the webpage to appear or to move around the varying screens.

Thank you.

Sounds like something is running in the background using up more cpu cycles then it should, if you place it in service mode and email me the service id we can see what it might be.

Jhayman

• BDP-2/BDA-2/PSB Stratus Goldi/McCormack DNA-500
« Reply #1667 on: 25 Mar 2016, 01:08 am »
Hi Chris
New to the BDP-2 I'm using the latest firmware MM
My DB has been stuck at 36% updating for a few weeks, how do I get it to go further..

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1668 on: 25 Mar 2016, 11:04 am »
Hi Chris,

Right now I've attached 3 WD Passports to my BDP1. 2 to the back usb ports, 1 to the front. Since those ports divide all available usb power, would it be any issue if i attached some sort of usb-switch to one of the back ports, and hookup all 3 Passport from there? front usb looks silly really with the cable sticking out, and the harddrive in full frontal view.. Id rather hide it ;)

I know 3 passports are a heavy burden for the BDP1, but it works really well. Reloading a full library, or re-indexing sometimes need several tries, but if all hard work is done, the BDP1 manages fine.

Would hope that a port powered usb switch at the back would give the same result?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

I've used a powered USB Hub, plugged into a power strip, and feeding 3 500GB drives. The Hub then plugs into one port (USB A-B cord) of my BDP-1. No power issues/hiccups whatsoever. Prior to this, I was having hiccups with the drives plugged into the USB ports of BDP-1.

I also use Loony Loon, not Moose.

Marius

« Reply #1669 on: 25 Mar 2016, 12:19 pm »

Thank you CM,
Care to share the brand of your Hub?
There are many exotic ones, mine would be stashed away out of sight, so no optical design considerations to be met, just quality of build.

Marius

Hi Marius,

I've used a powered USB Hub, plugged into a power strip, and feeding 3 500GB drives. The Hub then plugs into one port (USB A-B cord) of my BDP-1. No power issues/hiccups whatsoever. Prior to this, I was having hiccups with the drives plugged into the USB ports of BDP-1.

I also use Loony Loon, not Moose.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1670 on: 25 Mar 2016, 12:31 pm »
Thank you CM,
Care to share the brand of your Hub?
There are many exotic ones, mine would be stashed away out of sight, so no optical design considerations to be met, just quality of build.

Marius

Here you go:

https://www.startech.com/ca/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Hubs/6-Port-USB-3-USB-Combo-Hub-with-2A-Charging-Port-2x-USB-3-4x-USB-2~ST7320USBC

Marius

« Reply #1671 on: 25 Mar 2016, 12:33 pm »

Thanks! (Need 3 usb 3 ports though...) will check their website.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2016, 01:45 pm by Marius »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1672 on: 25 Mar 2016, 02:47 pm »
Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Your already likely pushing what the BDP-1 can deliver to two of those USB ports, if you do add a USB HUB it may need to be a powered USB HUB.  You'll want a USB HUB that comes with atleast a 2Amp power supply.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #1673 on: 25 Mar 2016, 02:52 pm »
check Chris,

Thanks, i will try that most definitely.

(will testdrive a port-powered version also to see what gives. You never know. As you say, it was already unexpected the 3 Passports would work. If they do, and they do, why wouldn't they do so over a bus-powered usb hub..)

Will report back after http://www.staatsoper-berlin.de/en_EN/calendar-2015-2016/parsifal.13111389

Happy Easter!

Marius

Hi Marius,

Your already likely pushing what the BDP-1 can deliver to two of those USB ports, if you do add a USB HUB it may need to be a powered USB HUB.  You'll want a USB HUB that comes with atleast a 2Amp power supply.

Cheers,
Chris

Ritchief

« Reply #1674 on: 26 Mar 2016, 12:53 pm »
Hi All,

Thank you.

Ok, So I thought I would update on where I am with my issue. I now strongly believe that Shairplay is the culprit of all all my issues. As soon as I enable it the CPU shoots up to 130% plus and then lock the BDP out.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, if so, what was you remedy.

Thank you in advance.

Rich.

Krutsch

« Reply #1675 on: 27 Mar 2016, 05:10 am »
Hi Chris,

OK. I updated to this morning's BETA build:

S2.25 2016-03-17
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.12 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

and reset/rebuilt the Bryston DB.

The album art issue has both good and bad news:

Good News: The previous issue of albums with path names containing special characters appears to be resolved. That is, I can look at my classical titles and they are now displaying art work for the thumbnails in the Artiist View. Nice.

Bad News: a lot of other albums are now missing art work and I can't discern a pattern to indicate what might be happening. I am seeing FLAC and AAC albums missing art work, even though I can look at the file's meta data and, in most cases, there is definitely embedded art work.

Also, every folder has a Folder.jpg which does not appear to be displayed - ever. For example, looking at the attached image:

"Donovan's Greatest Hits" are FLAC files with embedded artwork and a matching Folder.jpg in the folder - displays black box;

"Storyteller [Audio Fidelity]" are FLAC files WITHOUT embedded artwork and WITH a Folder.jpg in the folder - displays Bryston artwork image;

I have verified that Folder is set as the default art work filename (I've had it set this way for a long time).

Maybe I can help more if you would share the algorithm used to process art work. With that information, I can go back into my library and see what's happening.

- Ken

Follow-up in the album art issue:

1. See the screen capture below, which shows bdp_front_44 & 250.jpg files, as well as Folder.jpg, which is not displayed. Also, in the same screen capture, I am showing that all tracks have embedded art work (500x500 pixel jpeg from the same source). As shown above, this displays as a black box on Artist View. Note that I am directly mounting the SMB share from the BDP-1.

2. See the screen capture below, which shows NO bdp_front_*.jpg images, but does include a Folder.jpg, which is not displayed. Also, in the same screen capture, I am showing that none of the tracks have embedded art work. As shown above, this displays as a bryston default image.

Krutsch

« Reply #1676 on: 27 Mar 2016, 07:40 pm »
UPDATE: after some more testing, I've determined that the:

1, 10, 11, 2, 3 ... 9

...track ordering issue is ONLY for multi-disc albums, as described at the beginning of the quoted comment, regardless of encoder type (i.e. FLAC, AAC, MP3). I know at one time I was seeing this with a FLAC version of Grateful Dead's "American Beauty", with one disc and 10 tracks, but no more. Now, I only see this with multi-disc albums.

I went though my library and, to my surprise, out of 1,145 albums, 14,637 tracks, I only have 101 multi-disc albums.

I had some downtime last week, while traveling, so I manually split up my multi-disc albums, adding [Disc 1/2/3] to the album title and stripped out the disc numbers from the meta data.

Problem solved, for me, anyway, but still something to look into...

Krutsch

« Reply #1677 on: 4 Apr 2016, 01:42 pm »
Another data point on the album art issue: I've noticed some albums that fail to generate the smaller thumbnail, but the larger one is OK.

See attached screen shot:

Then, looking at the folder on the mounted USB drive:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 bryston root    44814 Apr  2 19:31 bdp_front_250.jpg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 bryston root           0 Apr  2 19:31 bdp_front_44.jpg

I have a number of these, where one of the thumbnails fails to generate. The folder.jpg files (also used as the embedded art work) is 1498x1498 pixels. The converter in use may be running out of RAM while scaling down the thumbnails?

I know that in the earlier example (Donovan, see above) Donovan's Greatest Hits artwork is 800x800 pixels and the other one, Donovan (Storyteller) is 500x500 pixels. In the former case, we get the a black box and in the latter case, we get the default Bryston image.

Are there size limitations on the embedded artwork and/or the folder.jpg file?

Krutsch

« Reply #1678 on: 6 Apr 2016, 05:59 pm »
Spent some time this morning with the latest BETA build:

S2.25 2016-04-05
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.12 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

... thanks for adding the Soundirok covertart.php script into the build - very helpful.

I tried this out, after renaming all of my 'artists' images to 'thumb.jpg' to match the script's defaults and all of my artist images loaded, just fine. I also looked at my albums and with the exception of roughly seven (7 out 1200+), all of those loaded, as well. Not sure what was wrong with a handful of albums. It was easy to locate the missing album covers in the app, so I re-embedded the artwork and ensured that each had a 'folder.jpg' (they already did), but no dice. So, I went back to using the 'Collection URL' and 'Cover/Artist Thumb Filename' settings in the app and everything displays nicely.

While I was at it, I looked (again) at some of the many album thumbnails not displaying in MM and have concluded that MM simply is ignoring the 'folder.jpg' file, if it has problems processing the embedded artwork (or there is no embedded art work). I even tried re-embedding and/or scaling artwork for some of these to see if that changed anything; it didn't, even after clearing my browser cache.

tie_breaker

« Reply #1679 on: 8 Apr 2016, 11:47 pm »
How do we update the firmware to the latest beta? I am currently running 2016-02-08 which per bdp-2 seems to be the latest stable release. Is there a different way to update to beta release?
Thx