Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Samurai7595

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1600 on: 4 Mar 2016, 01:03 pm »
Can someone please point me to a Manic Moose user manual?  Thanks!

Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #1603 on: 4 Mar 2016, 11:03 pm »
Default View is ignoring the Disc Number tags in audio files.

For example: Album contains two discs (or albums), Disc 1 and Disc 2.

Disc 1
 Song 1-1
 Song 1-2
Disc 2
 Song 2-1
 Song 2-2

In the Artists View, this is displayed correctly and songs are added to the playback queue in the correct order.

In the Default View, songs are added by track index, ignoring the disc order:
Song 1-1
Song 2-1
Song 1-2
Song 2-2

Using:

S2.23 2016-02-04
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.12 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

Thanks.

EDIT: there is a corollary to this issue. With AAC tracks from iTunes, Manic Moose is mis-ordering albums with more than 9 tracks.

For example, Album has 12 tracks, ordered as followed in the Default View:

These tracks include track N of M and disc number tags, as well.

From what I can tell, this is limited to tracks that are AAC files from iTunes (my FLAC files don't do this, from what I can tell).

Bump... this problem is still in MM's latest builds. After more testing, this problem is NOT limited to AAC tracks.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1604 on: 5 Mar 2016, 06:18 am »
It probably has to do with ASCII and how the computer values or sorts these.

You will find that "ZZ Top" comes BEFORE "a-ha". This is because capital letters (A-Z) are listed BEFORE lower case in the ASCII table.

Similarly, the algorithm is sorting based on each character in it's given position, not the overall string. If the first character is the same (the number 1 for example), it then checks the second character, and so on. Thus, 1 comes before 10, followed by 11, then 113, then 12, and then 2.

The sort algorithm would need to be changed for this to be fixed.

Marius

« Reply #1605 on: 5 Mar 2016, 06:50 am »
Hi
This has been the case since the conception of the bdp. Discussed on this board frequently.
Never solved. I've given up and gotten used to changing the titles by adding a leading 0 to tracks under 10. Use Tags instead of file names. ( or was it the other way around, not sure here, can't check right now )
Even so, I've got a Chandos thumb drive that won't be displayed and, more
Importantly, played correctly, mixes it up like you describe.
Play that over all other digital players that don't mixup, and prove it can be done correctly without a hassle....

Also the lower case issue is a bit of a nuisance, though even less frequent. dEus displayed at the bottom instead of at the correct place in the listing . That too is nothing of an issue for the other players  :scratch:
Cheers
Marius

It probably has to do with ASCII and how the computer values or sorts these.

You will find that "ZZ Top" comes BEFORE "a-ha". This is because capital letters (A-Z) are listed BEFORE lower case in the ASCII table.

Similarly, the algorithm is sorting based on each character in it's given position, not the overall string. If the first character is the same (the number 1 for example), it then checks the second character, and so on. Thus, 1 comes before 10, followed by 11, then 113, then 12, and then 2.

The sort algorithm would need to be changed for this to be fixed.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1606 on: 5 Mar 2016, 07:51 am »
Here's a link to the ASCII table. http://www.asciitable.com/index/asciifull.gif

"Dec" is the decimal value. You'll notice it's listed from 0 to 255. That's the order the computer sees the values of the corresponding character in red.

"A" has a value of 65. "a" has a value of 97. Simply put, "A" through "Z" comes before "a" through "z". Thus, "ZZ Top" comes before "a-ha".

Same with numbers. There's no "10", just "0" through "9". They are just symbols in the ASCII table. That's why "10" is before "2". It compares the FIRST character. Likely, if the first character is the same, then it compares the second character, and so on, until it finds a difference.

Krutsch

« Reply #1607 on: 5 Mar 2016, 03:46 pm »
Ascii should have nothing to do with this; the software should be reading the track tags for disc and track number, as integer values. I have not selected the option to prefer filename over tags.

It's 2016, for heaven's sake...

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1608 on: 6 Mar 2016, 08:14 am »
Yes, there's a work-around. But if the tag data is stored as a character string and not as an integer value, it can't read it as an integer value. Whoever invented the metadata system dictated that.

Krutsch

« Reply #1609 on: 6 Mar 2016, 03:09 pm »
Yes, there's a work-around. But if the tag data is stored as a character string and not as an integer value, it can't read it as an integer value. Whoever invented the metadata system dictated that.

I'm guessing you are not a software dev. :-)

Marius

« Reply #1610 on: 6 Mar 2016, 03:43 pm »
but how come all other players can? iTunes, vlc, audirvana have no issues, at least not with my Chandos thumb drive while theres no way tricking the BDP into displaying and playing these correctly. Not even renaming the files with the leading 0..

Marius

Marius

« Reply #1611 on: 6 Mar 2016, 03:49 pm »
HI Chris,

Would you consider and be able to allow MM to have a less black interface? Often i find it very difficult to see the contrasting parts of the interface, and in certain lighting conditions, find the white on black to be rather fatiguing to the eye.
Somehow i hope you can have a lighter (grey even) background with darker letters, like print, as an option? Like in the folder bar on the left of MM. Far easier on the eye. For me that is (50+... needing reading glasses, having reading issues in darker conditions etc etc...)

Cheers,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #1612 on: 6 Mar 2016, 09:36 pm »

See the attached image.

There is some odd behavior with the Default View on playback. In the attached example, I was listening to "The Beatles 1967-1970". After clearing the playback queue, I went into Artist View and selected "Alfred Brendel, Liszt: Piano...".

1. The Artist View has no thumbnail for this album (as previously posted, it has accent characters in the album and song titles);

2. On playback, the previous Beatles album art displays in the center of the page;

3. When advancing to the second track, the correct album art *does* display.

In general, I frequently see either a blank (Bryston) box for the album art on for the first track or the artwork for the previous album.

Finally, when clicking on the album cover instead of loading an existing "back.jpg" from the same folder, I get an empty black box. Has the back cover function been removed?

Krutsch

« Reply #1613 on: 6 Mar 2016, 09:44 pm »

See the attached image. In the Artists View, albums are first sorted by storage device and/or parent folder, then sorted by title.

In this example, I have Yessongs on one device, with Close To The Edge and The Yes Album on another device (HDD or thumb drive).

Seems like the display of sorted albums within an Artists (or Album Artist) should be independent of their relative location.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1614 on: 7 Mar 2016, 04:15 am »
I'm guessing you are not a software dev. :-)

Yes, you can read any stored data as any format you wish. However, it's very poor programming practice to read it as something it wasn't stored as. Sorta defeats the purpose of designating it as a string, integer, etc at the outset.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1615 on: 7 Mar 2016, 06:05 am »
but how come all other players can? iTunes, vlc, audirvana have no issues, at least not with my Chandos thumb drive while theres no way tricking the BDP into displaying and playing these correctly. Not even renaming the files with the leading 0..

Marius

Someone wrote the software to sort them in a way people categorize things rather than just by the ASCII value.

Marius

« Reply #1616 on: 7 Mar 2016, 07:35 am »
Someone wrote the software to sort them in a way people categorize things rather than just by the ASCII value.

Seems the right programming practice..

Marius

« Reply #1617 on: 7 Mar 2016, 07:47 am »
In general, I frequently see either a blank (Bryston) box for the album art on for the first track or the artwork for the previous album.

Finally, when clicking on the album cover instead of loading an existing "back.jpg" from the same folder, I get an empty black box. Has the back cover function been removed?

HI,
First track no covert art: Been like this from the beginning. Frequently discussed on this board.
Given up on that (too), or solve it by clicking the next track, (if i have one selected) and than go back again. :duh: :duh:

Previous cover art being displayed: also an old issue. Even without a song selected, i have the coverart of the last previously played tracks displayed. Somehow they are stored in the MM cache, refreshing the browser cache doesn't solve this. Clearing the album art when last tracks are played/deleted/playlist cleared should be programmed into MM at last indeed. Often this is accompanied with the -1's. Chris has named this issue once, but it still manifests itself.

Backcover: check, no other images are found, not only the back cover. Only one cover.jpg here all other jpg. are gone, only black box. Seems to be allright now, don't know what happened other than a power down/up.

Cheers,
Marius

« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2016, 10:32 am by Marius »

Krutsch

« Reply #1618 on: 7 Mar 2016, 02:07 pm »
Quote from: Marius
...but how come all other players can? iTunes, vlc, audirvana have no issues, at least not with my Chandos thumb drive while theres no way tricking the BDP into displaying and playing these correctly. Not even renaming the files with the leading 0..

Seems the right programming practice..

Does it?

Krutsch

« Reply #1619 on: 7 Mar 2016, 02:32 pm »

First track no covert art: Been like this from the beginning. Frequently discussed on this board.
Given up on that (too), or solve it by clicking the next track, (if i have one selected) and than go back again. :duh: :duh:

Previous cover art being displayed: also an old issue...

Discouraging. Well, it seems that these issues won't be addressed and I will stop posting my findings.

If there was a work-around for the track index issue, I would be willing to rename/re-tag things. But to update my library to accommodate MM, I would need to fix tags for track index (for which there is no work-around), separate multi-disc albums to fix that issue, rename any albums with duplicate titles from different artists (i.e. the "Greatest Hits" issue), rename all of my albums/artists that contain non-english characters. A lot of work...

I tried using MinimServer + BubbleUPnP with the BDP-1, as an alternative. It does work and MinimServer has none of the above library issues (well, nothing else I've tried does, either). However, the BDP-1 uses gmediarender for UPnP playback, which is unfortunate, as it (a) fails to play any of my non-DRM'd AAC files (I have to use MinimStreamer to transcode them to WAV), (b) sometimes inserts a small tick or pop between gapless tracks and (c) doesn't sound as good as MPD playback. Other MPD-based systems use upmpdci as a UPnP Media Renderer front-end for MPD; Volumio, for example, has none of the artifacts I've experienced with gmediarender.

I will wait to see if Roon materializes on the BDP-1 and listen to how it sounds. In the meantime, I am back to MPaD  :(