Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1360 on: 4 Dec 2015, 09:51 pm »
Hi James,

I agree that the BDP offers a rich set of options allowing to be controlled by a variety of control apps. The only trouble is that MPD if far ahead in terms of SQ. In my system, DLNA lacks acoustic weight and Squeezelite is only marginally better. I'm quite happy with MPaD, but having to switch to MM interface to access Tidal is a big inconvenience. Furthermore, having to make sure that the queue is empty and the inability to mix local tracks with the ones from Tidal in the same playlist just makes things worse. Not to mention that moment when trying to access artist discography, in Tidal, and the web page start flickering while loading images... Please don't get me wrong... I love my BDPs SQ with MPD... After all, it fully replaced a CDX-2, in my system...

Carmen

Hi Carmen

Yes I agree MPD is a world ahead when it comes to sound quality and that was the main focus of the original BDP-1.  I had no idea it would evolve into a product that made coffee in the morning - LOL  :wink:.

james

cmarinsr

« Reply #1361 on: 6 Dec 2015, 06:59 pm »
Hi James,

No need to be sarcastic... I am well aware, that over the years, the BDP range evolved into superb machines with plenty of playback options. All I'm trying to say is that a dedicated app would be beneficial and would, most likely, attract more potential buyers. Some people choose convenience over SQ...

Thanks,
Carmen.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1362 on: 6 Dec 2015, 07:38 pm »
Hi James,

No need to be sarcastic... I am well aware, that over the years, the BDP range evolved into superb machines with plenty of playback options. All I'm trying to say is that a dedicated app would be beneficial and would, most likely, attract more potential buyers. Some people choose convenience over SQ...

Thanks,
Carmen.

I am not being sarcastic - I was making a joke ! - Gee's  :duh:

james

cmarinsr

« Reply #1363 on: 6 Dec 2015, 09:05 pm »
Sorry James! Point taken!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1364 on: 6 Dec 2015, 09:08 pm »
Sorry James! Point taken!

Yes my fault too - sometimes the innuendo gets lost in the written word  - next time I will use a 'smily'   :icon_lol:

james

Marius

« Reply #1365 on: 9 Dec 2015, 06:53 am »
Hi Chris

Downloaded 2.21 and installed fine I think. Not sure though as system still displays 2.20.
Did it stick (and is this a glitch) or did the install fail somehow?

I did enable mpd 19.9 . Mpd state tracker still incompatible with BDP1?

Cheers
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1366 on: 9 Dec 2015, 01:34 pm »
Hi Chris

Downloaded 2.21 and installed fine I think. Not sure though as system still displays 2.20.
Did it stick (and is this a glitch) or did the install fail somehow?

I did enable mpd 19.9 . Mpd state tracker still incompatible with BDP1?

Cheers
Marius

If you look at the build date code it should be 2015-12-08, it appears in my haste I forgot to increase the version value from S2.20 to S2.21.

The remember state relies on a feature only found in the BDP-2.  BDP-2 owners may notice that there units won't power off for 30 seconds after pushing the power button, it is the delay that the BDP-2 is given time to do shutdown tasks like save the current MPD state.

Marius

« Reply #1367 on: 9 Dec 2015, 01:52 pm »
correct. check, thanks.

News link still won't work...

Marius

If you look at the build date code it should be 2015-12-08, it appears in my haste I forgot to increase the version value from S2.20 to S2.21.

The remember state relies on a feature only found in the BDP-2.  BDP-2 owners may notice that there units won't power off for 30 seconds after pushing the power button, it is the delay that the BDP-2 is given time to do shutdown tasks like save the current MPD state.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1368 on: 9 Dec 2015, 05:29 pm »
correct. check, thanks.

News link still won't work...

Marius

yah thats currently busted in 0.19.9 is selected, but will be fixed in tonight release

Rod_S

« Reply #1369 on: 9 Dec 2015, 05:44 pm »
I noticed the other night that the issue when you move away from the browser tab in iOS to look at other tabs or apps and come back the progress bar stopped at the point where you left and needed a page refesh to catch up to current track is now fixed. I'm not sure if that was an iOS bug fix in the latest update I applied or in the recent MM update. Either way it's nice to have this working properly again. The Artist View bug of not seeing all my albums is still there though. I have a Black Sabbath and Nirvana album both in mp3 format that Artist View does not recogonize. I have to browse by folder to see them. I suspect there must be something off with their metadata thus preventing them from being found in Artist View.

lynniemagoo

« Reply #1370 on: 10 Dec 2015, 12:01 am »
How many of you use SqueezeLite and LMS on your BDP's?

I have been using SqueezeLite with LMS and is the main reason I bought a BDP.  My library is over 80K tracks and the memory of both BDP1 and likely BDP2 will not suffice for a library of this size.  The only thing I would love to see is some sort of memory or flash storage that lets SqueezeLite persist the player name.  Whenever it reconnects to Logitech Media Server, I have to reset the user-friendly player name.

Other than that, I use BDP-1 and BDP-1 USB to a BDA-2 setup and could not be happier. 

Marius

« Reply #1371 on: 10 Dec 2015, 08:54 am »
yah thats currently busted in 0.19.9 is selected, but will be fixed in tonight release

Bingo! Thanks Chris, this is a first on my BDP1  :thumb:

Might i suggest a minor change in displaying the order of the services on the Services tab? Nothing important, but just a cosmetic enhancement. Right now, it seems there's no real priority or hierarchy, or even alphabetical logic. Why don't you change it into:

MPD
Samba Server
USB Mount

Service Mode

DLNA Client
DLNA Renderer (Server)

Shairplay
Squeezeslave
Squeezelite

Orders/groups the services a bit more along their functional necessity. Basics, Service, Streaming industry standard, streaming extras.

Just a thought,
Thanks,
Marius

vklyushnikov

« Reply #1372 on: 10 Dec 2015, 10:10 am »

I have been using SqueezeLite with LMS and is the main reason I bought a BDP.  My library is over 80K tracks and the memory of both BDP1 and likely BDP2 will not suffice for a library of this size.  The only thing I would love to see is some sort of memory or flash storage that lets SqueezeLite persist the player name.  Whenever it reconnects to Logitech Media Server, I have to reset the user-friendly player name.

Other than that, I use BDP-1 and BDP-1 USB to a BDA-2 setup and could not be happier.
Hi, I tried to use squeezelite as a replacement for MPD, but didn't get same sound quality. It is definitely bitperfect but plays with some unfocused soundstage - may be it has problems with timing on single core processor. If you still want to use it I suggest to study command line arguments and run it from MM startup script with any possible settings including player name. This gives you one more advantage -  you can use latest squeezelite version 1.8 while MM includes old one (1.5 or 1.6 - don't remember exactly).

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1373 on: 10 Dec 2015, 10:52 pm »
I noticed the other night that the issue when you move away from the browser tab in iOS to look at other tabs or apps and come back the progress bar stopped at the point where you left and needed a page refesh to catch up to current track is now fixed. I'm not sure if that was an iOS bug fix in the latest update I applied or in the recent MM update. Either way it's nice to have this working properly again. The Artist View bug of not seeing all my albums is still there though. I have a Black Sabbath and Nirvana album both in mp3 format that Artist View does not recogonize. I have to browse by folder to see them. I suspect there must be something off with their metadata thus preventing them from being found in Artist View.

Yah we made some changes regarding how the web interface handles disconnects, there were some bugs and are hopefully now fixed.  The artist view would be best if you placed the BDP into service mode and email me the service id.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1374 on: 10 Dec 2015, 10:58 pm »

The next release will allow you to choose a hostname for the BDP that will be used as the friendly name for squeezelite

Rod_S

« Reply #1375 on: 10 Dec 2015, 11:09 pm »
What's the purpose of the Bryston db: Artist View v2 in the Settings area? I enabled it and a duplicate of my main directory showed up highlighted in red and when I drill to open it to see it's contents nothing happens.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1376 on: 11 Dec 2015, 12:43 am »
What's the purpose of the Bryston db: Artist View v2 in the Settings area? I enabled it and a duplicate of my main directory showed up highlighted in red and when I drill to open it to see it's contents nothing happens.

The red is a seperate feature, show missing files and folders.  The artist v2 feature loads additional CSS options for the artist view.

Rod_S

« Reply #1377 on: 11 Dec 2015, 01:34 pm »
Yah we made some changes regarding how the web interface handles disconnects, there were some bugs and are hopefully now fixed.  The artist view would be best if you placed the BDP into service mode and email me the service id.

Thanks Chris, I'm just seeing this now. Last night I actually went an manually added the tag data via MM for the 3 mp3 albums that weren't showing in Artist View. They show up now which is great. So it was tag data related, I guess that was quite obvious when none of the tag values were being pre-populated in the editor in MM other the the actual song name as seen in Widnows Explorer. I'm not sure what it is with those albums because all the tag data is displayed properly in Windows Media Player and in dbPoweramp's Tag editor. If you still want to take control of my player I could put it into service mode after I get home from work today. With me manually editing the tag info via MM though I wonder if that would have removed any evidence you might have been able to see as to the nature of the problem???

Marius

« Reply #1378 on: 11 Dec 2015, 09:58 pm »
Hi Chris
We've discussed security issues before. Please let me get back to that once more. We talked about the mpd and Bryston part of security, but didn't really touch the 3rd party bit of the services. Last.fm, shairplay, squeeze and the dlna software MM is using, are you positive there are no security concerns or even backdoors there?

Who knows we which info is being sent to these services?

Hope you do ;-)
Cheers Marius

Marius

« Reply #1379 on: 18 Dec 2015, 10:24 am »
Hi Chris,

asked before: what does the 'Jump to currently playing song' do, and when? Can't seem to find the answer in the manual, nor in using the BDP....

Cheers,
Marius