Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #540 on: 3 Jun 2014, 01:54 am »
I'm sure this will be fixed but I can make a playlist of 15 tracks(NO More),and when I go more than that it won't  show on the screen even though there is room.
It will play those tracks that I transferred to the playlist but you can't see them.
Another nitpik,if say I'm playing a track from that play list and click to go to another song on that playlist(NOTHING HAPPENS).
I know things are been worked out but these seem to be  very a basic feature.
The older program did all that,very basic and did what you wanted.
SIMPLE IS GOOD,I do like the delete feature,but it would be nice and simple if you could stop a track and go to another on that list you chose,or click the track you want instead of it doing nothing or freezing up.
Sometime you think its better not to buy  UNTIL all the bugs are fixed.
Pretty hard to enjoy the music with all these little piss offs :shake:.

I do have the latest firmware as of yesterday if that matters.
I'm DONE.

The latest release is may 29 and it does offer some stability to he web interfaces ability to keep the current playlist up to date.  If your already running may 29 or upgrading to may 29 doesn't help check the MPD settings to see if the playlist length hasn't accidentally been set to 15.  Placing the BDP into service mode and emailing me the service Id will allow me to see what the problem is.

Cheers
Chris

EJS73

« Reply #541 on: 3 Jun 2014, 05:03 pm »
I havn't noticed that behaviour with the tv mode, I'll have to investigate further.  Misreported sample rates are due to the mpeg libraries not being compiled against the new kernel and will be fixed in what will be the equivalent of manic moose service pack 1.  If you click the info button while a track is playing, do the fields populate correctly?

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

When the box is checked, the track name on the right shows the correct resolution - it's just the center information panel on the media player that is stuck to 44k1.
Further, the info button fields populate correctly with the exception of the 'genre' field. This stays blank. I have to add that I use custom genre names in my tags (I fill the genre field with the record company).

Cheers,

EJ
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2014, 07:21 pm by EJS73 »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #542 on: 3 Jun 2014, 07:14 pm »
I have had one other user emailing me that he was unable to get to work again, I'll take a look into to it tomorrow.  In the mean time keep in mind that you should have your playlist in MPD cleared before turning the feature on.  If you turn on service mode and email me the service id I can take a look and see as to why it might not be working.

Cheers
Chris

Squeezeskave and squeezelite both appear to be working

bk12

« Reply #543 on: 4 Jun 2014, 02:03 am »
Squeezeskave and squeezelite both appear to be working

Hi Chris,

Tonight I found out that it is not streaming through my USB...but works fine through the AES output.  Any ideas on how I could get my USB output streaming via squeezeslave?

Thanks!

EJS73

« Reply #544 on: 4 Jun 2014, 06:40 am »
Hi EJ

Thanks for the report.  Notice any difference in sound quality?

james

James, after some time with MM, sound quality seems to be as good as it's ever been. A comparison with a Mac Mini running Audirvana on the same (Accuphase) DAC still shows the Mac outclassed by a wide margin.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #545 on: 4 Jun 2014, 09:57 am »
James, after some time with MM, sound quality seems to be as good as it's ever been. A comparison with a Mac Mini running Audirvana on the same (Accuphase) DAC still shows the Mac outclassed by a wide margin.

Hi EJ

Thank you for the feedback on the sound.  I have had a number of people email me with similar results including some in the industry using the BDP in their tests setups and demo systems. :thumb:

james

EJS73

« Reply #546 on: 4 Jun 2014, 05:19 pm »
James / Chris, I recall you mentioned that the BDP now supports USB wifi dongles in addition to ethernet. As I'm not streaming but would like access to the browser, this sounds ideal to me. If so, can I just use any wifi stick or are there certain brands or criteria I need to look out for?

EJ

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #547 on: 5 Jun 2014, 01:05 am »
Hi Chris,

Tonight I found out that it is not streaming through my USB...but works fine through the AES output.  Any ideas on how I could get my USB output streaming via squeezeslave?

Thanks!

Until I get around to creating a method of changing that your limited to the juli@ card.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #548 on: 5 Jun 2014, 01:16 am »
James / Chris, I recall you mentioned that the BDP now supports USB wifi dongles in addition to ethernet. As I'm not streaming but would like access to the browser, this sounds ideal to me. If so, can I just use any wifi stick or are there certain brands or criteria I need to look out for?

EJ

Hi EJ,

We have only had limited success and still need to improve upon the setup programs, this feature is still very much in development hence we havn't advertised the feature outside of the readme file.

Any 802.11g/n USB wifi adapter that uses a chipset from the following chipset manufacturer should work

Atheros
Ralink
Realtek

Keep in mind this is the brand of the wifi adapter. It the brand of the manufacturer that makes the chip inside of the retail product.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=105&cp_id=10501&cs_id=1050109&p_id=8076&seq=1&format=2#specifications

The above wifi adapter has been tested and is known to be compatible.

Cheers
Chris

RonCH

« Reply #549 on: 5 Jun 2014, 02:04 pm »
Hi Chris,

On startup of the BDP with MM installed, it comes up with the message that it's installing MPD ever time ( see the atteched images ).  Is this correct?   

Thanks

Ron

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #550 on: 5 Jun 2014, 02:37 pm »
Hi Chris,

On startup of the BDP with MM installed, it comes up with the message that it's installing MPD ever time ( see the atteched images ).  Is this correct?   

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron

Yes that is correct.

james

David Cutler

« Reply #551 on: 6 Jun 2014, 12:07 am »
Hello,

I've just taken the plunge and bought a BDP2 from HiFi Lounge in the UK.

Details:
  Serial # 347
  S1.75 2014-05-01
  Build: Loony Loon (RELEASE)
  MPD: 0.17.3
  Kernel: 2.6.32-5-486
  Copyright Bryston Ltd. 2010

The sound quality is amazing.  :thumb:

I have tried upgrading to MM and end up with problems and have to return to Loony Loon (I take an image copy of the CF card before the upgrade).

I am using the firmware20140430.bin to perform the upgrade with an empty thumb drive in the front USB.
(http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/firmware/20140526mm/filesystem.new etc.)

The first phase completes and the system reboots.  The front panel eventually says "Restarting....." but doesn't restart.  You can no longer ping the BDP but the front panel buttons continue to work.  After leaving it for about 1 hour, I pressed the front panel power button.  The display says Powering down and shows a countdown timer, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and powers down.

Upon powering up, the upgrade continues.  Each time it has to shutdown or reboot, the same problem - No network - can't ping, but the front panel is still active.  Use the front panel power button, countdown timer and off.

Eventually, the upgrade completed with the repartition and MM running.  The poweroff/reboot problems continue - It won't shutdown or reboot EXCEPT from the front panel and every time a countdown timer is shown.  When it is in this half shutdown state, there is no network but you can still select and play from locally attached media - so MPD is still running (?).

I have then used MM for a couple of hours with mixed results - however, I returned to Loony Loon so that I can just chill out and listen to the music  8)

Thanks,

David

ttsto

« Reply #552 on: 7 Jun 2014, 07:05 am »
Hi

I still use LL and Max 2 interface
I ripped some CDs as one big flac file plus cue file.
I noticed that Max 2 will display this folder as one flac while MPDroid or Cantata can display the .cue file
Effect of adding the file in playlist have different effect in the two interfaces:
- Max 2 will add the big flac to the playlist, without ability to navigate between individual tracks
- MPDroid or Cantata will add the .cue file to the playlist, with ability to navigate between individual tracks

Do you think is possible to replicate MPDroid behavior in MAX interface?

ttsto

« Reply #553 on: 7 Jun 2014, 07:30 am »
Hi RonCH

How you evaluate MM over LL firmware on BDP1?
I appreciate the stability of LL firmware and responsiveness of BDP1 with this firmware, however MM have one feature that I would like to use, Replay Gain. Also I am curious to test Sqeezeslave as I am big fan of squeezebox server abilities, but I would rather give up this features if the new firmware will have impact on the performance and/or stability of BDP1

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #554 on: 7 Jun 2014, 10:23 am »
Hello,

Details:
  Serial # 347
  S1.75 2014-05-01

I have tried upgrading to MM and end up with problems and have to return to Loony Loon (I take an image copy of the CF card before the upgrade).

I am using the firmware20140430.bin to perform the upgrade with an empty thumb drive in the front USB.
(http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/firmware/20140526mm/filesystem.new etc.)

The first phase completes and the system reboots.  The front panel eventually says "Restarting....." but doesn't restart.  You can no longer ping the BDP but the front panel buttons continue to work.  After leaving it for about 1 hour, I pressed the front panel power button.  The display says Powering down and shows a countdown timer, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and powers down.

Upon powering up, the upgrade continues.  Each time it has to shutdown or reboot, the same problem - No network - can't ping, but the front panel is still active.  Use the front panel power button, countdown timer and off.

Eventually, the upgrade completed with the repartition and MM running.  The poweroff/reboot problems continue - It won't shutdown or reboot EXCEPT from the front panel and every time a countdown timer is shown.  When it is in this half shutdown state, there is no network but you can still select and play from locally attached media - so MPD is still running (?).

I have then used MM for a couple of hours with mixed results - however, I returned to Loony Loon so that I can just chill out and listen to the music  8)

Thanks,

David

Hi David

Chris will comment but use LL for now and we can assist you with MM going forward.

I agree the sound quality is really something you have to experience.  There is definitely more to it than 'bits are bits'

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #555 on: 7 Jun 2014, 11:02 am »
Hello,

Details:
  Serial # 347
  S1.75 2014-05-01

Thanks,

David

I've experienced this same problem. After four hours of a rough (at best) effort to upgrade to MM (it literally just worked one time, where it hadn't several times before), I now have several bugs....

=BDP will not shut down via the software (IR remote or hard button only)
=BDP initially had no MPD running, and nothing I did would get it to run at startup. I eventually switched to 18.6 and was able to get it to run.
=There is someone elses play list when I start it up... 13 songs, none of which I own. Sometimes, I can clear the playlist, sometimes I can't.
=Similar problem in artist view. Sometimes, it stays and I can see Arcade Fire and others. Sometimes, it blinks away.
=When the playlist is clear (in default view), adding a song doesn't add it at all to the left panel play list. But it DOES add songs and they show up if I click the play list icon.
=I tried a factory reset to clear any extraneous data. Now, the "Bryston BDP-2 Player — Stopped" display flickers on and off (about 5 times a second or so) under default view. It stops when I click on a song, but it happens again if I leave and return to the default view.
=Memory is up at 97.3%?! Is that used? What's causing that? There's nothing playing, no playlists loaded, and no operation (that I can see) going on. CPU is idling at 9.6% and swap is 0%. I'm ONLY running SAMBA, USB Mount, and MPD.
=My playlists are gone, but there's one called "top40" that I never created?
=I just clicked that "top40" play list, and now all I CAN see are someone elses songs. I can't even see my music at all anymore. (a reboot fixed being able to access my internal SSD, but the rogue playlist still persists).

The image below shows the playlist that came with the new firmware. I have none of those songs. And nothing I do will allow me to add my own songs to that list.

OS is Windows 7 Pro (all updates), Chrome (updated), BPD has a fixed IP address and is accessed via ip address, connected via ethernet to a switch, then to a router.

This feels a lot like beta software. I'd really like to go back to LL so I can just enjoy my BPD. Is there any easy way to do that?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #556 on: 7 Jun 2014, 11:32 am »
I've experienced this same problem. After four hours of a rough (at best) effort to upgrade to MM (it literally just worked one time, where it hadn't several times before), I now have several bugs....

=BDP will not shut down via the software (IR remote or hard button only)
=BDP initially had no MPD running, and nothing I did would get it to run at startup. I eventually switched to 18.6 and was able to get it to run.
=There is someone elses play list when I start it up... 13 songs, none of which I own. Sometimes, I can clear the playlist, sometimes I can't.
=Similar problem in artist view. Sometimes, it stays and I can see Arcade Fire and others. Sometimes, it blinks away.
=When the playlist is clear (in default view), adding a song doesn't add it at all to the left panel play list. But it DOES add songs and they show up if I click the play list icon.
=I tried a factory reset to clear any extraneous data. Now, the "Bryston BDP-2 Player — Stopped" display flickers on and off (about 5 times a second or so) under default view. It stops when I click on a song, but it happens again if I leave and return to the default view.

This feels a lot like beta software. I'd really like to go back to LL so I can just enjoy my BPD. Is there any easy way to do that?

Hi Grit

Chris may be able to connect remotely and help.  The fall back position is we can send you a preloaded Flashcard with MM installed.

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #557 on: 7 Jun 2014, 11:41 am »
Thanks James. I hope he can figure it out. Here's another screen shot... My drive isn't shown, and somehow, its not in English anymore.

And while I was typing this message, it disappeared. These ARE my drives.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #558 on: 7 Jun 2014, 11:44 am »
Sorry, last one, but this might help Chris. From inside MM, it shows firmware is LL ver 1.70

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #559 on: 7 Jun 2014, 03:15 pm »
Hi grit,

Sounds like for what ever reason your browser or BDP is just taking a really long time to load the appropriate data.  Placing your BDP into service mode and emailing me the service Id will allow us to track down the cause of the problem.

Cheers
Chris