Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #280 on: 13 Feb 2014, 04:03 pm »
HI Chris,

clicking the album view now displays 99 albums , and no more feedback of having to build the files for the first time!... some have the default bryston picture, but progress is made.

What do i do to get the rest of the albums indexed? click that button again, or, in dashboard, click the build album art database? Or will it work automatically of
from now on.

Another thing: now i do have some of the albums displayed, it is immediately clear some sort of extra organising is necessary. All styles and artists, composers or recordings are mixed into an alphabetical (?) list that is of no added value really. I still feel the 'by folder' is needed at least. Since tagging is still the big issue for most, and tag-fields are not always used in the correct, or same way, the ordering right now is a bit of a mess....

Marius

Hi Marius,

It should load 99 albums at a time, each time you reach the bottom it should load the next 99 albums; iPad and iPhone seem to still be a little "finicky" but i haven't had a problem on desktop/laptop.   Also i wonder if the process is perhaps not even finishing?  Once Manic Moose has created the first 99 albums refreshing the page should result in the loading of the first 99 albums.  Also i have found the page to be handy when used in combination of the search feature in the upper right corner.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #281 on: 13 Feb 2014, 04:38 pm »
HI Chris,

I do believe it does what you say! amazing this. Finally you've got it to work. This has been a major quest for how long have you started the betas? 2 years now? ... Great!

Hope you get it to work a bit more fluently, and ordered logically, but for now: phhhhf a major succes! :thumb: :thumb:

hope it won't bog the system anymore, and succes is sticky (fingers crossed)

Marius

Marius

« Reply #282 on: 13 Feb 2014, 04:50 pm »
HI Chris,

Now this is starting to work, i get an idea of how it works ;-)

i think it would be very nice if you'd keep the command section always in view, and have the albums scroll under them. This way we can always directly click away from this page, even when we deep down in our libraries. (ive noticed a steep lag already, and it might get even bigger, when more albums are loaded. direct control is very useful then, getting back to the system, or other commands we need)

Since you've adopted the itunes look, you might as well adopt this too:

have a look at these ordering categories too then, they are very comfortable, and somehow much more memory friendly, don't bog the system at all?

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #283 on: 13 Feb 2014, 06:41 pm »
Hi Marius,

We do have an artist view that is pretty well identical to iTunes artists view, its the icon with four squares.  We don't have a genre view yet, but the database allows it to be generated quickly.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #284 on: 13 Feb 2014, 06:54 pm »
I'm sure it will end up even better. Still, really need the 'by folder' view and if you'd combine that with the album art it would be really amazing

and, artist view has a tendency to show all tracks in an album separately.... so some fine-tuning left to do;-)

Cheers!
Hi Marius,

We do have an artist view that is pretty well identical to iTunes artists view, its the icon with four squares.  We don't have a genre view yet, but the database allows it to be generated quickly.

Cheers,
Chris

TSage

« Reply #285 on: 14 Feb 2014, 02:18 am »
Hi, I'm currently enjoying release 2 and have recently added the BDP to my home theatre stack which is completely serial or IP controlled.

For your consideration - I submit 2 requests.

1) If it's possible could you allow TURN ON and TURN OFF via serial command - currently I believe there is no power to the serial port when its off so the unit can't be turned on.
I've finagled the trigger port to run with a global cache iTach trigger, it works, but it's not elegant.

2) Playlist management is really a pain, some basics like drag/drop re-ordering, saving an updated list without the "playlist already exists" message, ability to MERGE playlists into a 3rd list.  Exposing the playlist files to the observable file system that windows/mac can see would be great.

Thanks for all your hard work into version 3.

Marius

« Reply #286 on: 15 Feb 2014, 07:03 pm »
Hi Chris,

almost there ;-)

only missing the dedicated thumb drive:

it does read the bdpfirmware when installing though.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Oh ok, yah i misunderstood you, something must be broken as it should list all drives.  Perhaps the problem is with spaces in the drives name, i'll do a little digging.
Btw have you tried the album view as of yet?  I'm quite curious regarding if its effected anything.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #287 on: 15 Feb 2014, 07:17 pm »
HI Chris,
updating always ends in a unable to resolve host state, what does that mean? is this an error, or expected behaviour:

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #288 on: 16 Feb 2014, 01:59 am »
HI Chris,
updating always ends in a unable to resolve host state, what does that mean? is this an error, or expected behaviour:

Same here. Does it even matter since the filesystem is checked above? Is the second sync and fsck just verifying integrity after the install?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #289 on: 17 Feb 2014, 08:46 am »
This just a guess on my part - "unable to resolve host bryston-bdp-1" probably has to do with the IP address. That type of error is usually referring to the text address (in this case, bryston-bdp-1) is not pointing to a valid/expected IP address.

If you currently have your BDP set up to be assigned a dynamically allocated IP address, you might try giving it a static IP address. Or, you might try accessing it in the web browser via it's current IP address and not "bryston-bdp-1". I'm sure Chris will figure it out, but the above suggestions might be worth a try in the meantime.

- Garrett

Marius

« Reply #290 on: 17 Feb 2014, 09:24 am »
HI,

It coincides with a Connection Failed in my Mac/finder.

Usually it takes a while for finder to locate it again, in terms o f days. rebooting the system or Mac don't help.... I can Go to server, and then select one drive...I can just use the browser, and use  the bryston-bdp-1.local, why the setuproutine can't is definitely a question.

Marius

This just a guess on my part - "unable to resolve host bryston-bdp-1" probably has to do with the IP address. That type of error is usually referring to the text address (in this case, bryston-bdp-1) is not pointing to a valid/expected IP address.

If you currently have your BDP set up to be assigned a dynamically allocated IP address, you might try giving it a static IP address. Or, you might try accessing it in the web browser via it's current IP address and not "bryston-bdp-1". I'm sure Chris will figure it out, but the above suggestions might be worth a try in the meantime.

- Garrett

Marius

« Reply #291 on: 17 Feb 2014, 06:27 pm »
Chris,

just thought to let you know, that further investigation into the system, and its terrible slowdown in Mac/finder, which i suspected the service mode of the bdp was the culprit, has come to a conclusive answer. After disabling servicemode, the hogging of the system was still there, so the search went on. It had to do something with syncing the shares on the network or internet, so i took out dropbox first, to no avail though.

Today i finally had a positive conclusion to this, since disabling my synology cloud station solved it all. No more hogging, and immediate folder views in dropbox and the likes. Mac/finder even connects to the bdp again immediately where it wouldn't before.

Even updating to the latest build on cloud server won't help a lot. other users have filed a ticket for this too ive seen on their forum. Might not be too relevant for BDP/firmware, but since we discussed it before, just thought id post here.

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #292 on: 17 Feb 2014, 08:03 pm »
HI Chris,

That's expected, used for debugging purposes, additional information would follow if there was an actual issue.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #293 on: 17 Feb 2014, 08:26 pm »
OK, good to know.

Though Id rather see a message saying 'Updating finished successfully , the Bpd is restarting on its own' or something like that again ;-)

Debugging is not for end users, you
Might want to consider taking that line out if the feedback.

Cheers Marius

That's expected, used for debugging purposes, additional information would follow if there was an actual issue.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #294 on: 18 Feb 2014, 04:16 pm »
Yah, deffinantly lots of little things to tidy up and finish left to go.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #295 on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:22 pm »
HI Chris,

latest upgrade improved on Nas / Shares

"S2.00 2014-02-18
NAS Setup
Adding NAS: fixed up the wizard for adding shares to the configuration, little nicer and easier to read/understand"

Is it possible to have the folder selection on a Share? I cant seem to do it..

Also, it won't accept any name i give to the share, any guidelines for that? It won't accept my password either, when i don't enter a share name, though im positive it is correct...

Lastly, could you give share-properties info in a hover over the found share? For many shares you display many entries, but only one of these can be selected, and the right info now is only found after selecting it, and reading the properties.

Cheers!
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #296 on: 20 Feb 2014, 07:31 pm »
HI Chris,

latest upgrade improved on Nas / Shares

"S2.00 2014-02-18
NAS Setup
Adding NAS: fixed up the wizard for adding shares to the configuration, little nicer and easier to read/understand"

Is it possible to have the folder selection on a Share? I cant seem to do it..

Also, it won't accept any name i give to the share, any guidelines for that? It won't accept my password either, when i don't enter a share name, though im positive it is correct...

Lastly, could you give share-properties info in a hover over the found share? For many shares you display many entries, but only one of these can be selected, and the right info now is only found after selecting it, and reading the properties.

Cheers!
Marius

Hi Marius,

Do you not get any drop down menu's like the one pictured below?

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #297 on: 20 Feb 2014, 10:51 pm »
Yes Chris I do get this.

Has many entries though .
But after that: no success ...

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #298 on: 21 Feb 2014, 01:46 am »
Yes Chris I do get this.

Has many entries though .
But after that: no success ...

Marius

Hi Marius,

I think I know what it is now, I still list off AFP servers, but I don't have any support for it yet.  After you select one, make sure the type is Microsoft windows network and not apple file sharing.  They should be near the bottom.  AFP support is coming... I hope.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #299 on: 23 Feb 2014, 11:26 am »
HI Chris,

you've done it! share is working now, and a folder on the share is selected. Great!

was a bit awkward to get it to work though, but suddenly it worked. Havent tested playing the share yet, but this is a very fine beginning indeed.
Would it be possible to optionally list the shares without the underscores, maybe even without the drive it is located on? Seems a bit to computerish now showing the network drive ea in the user interface. For me, id just need the MP3 'cabinet', and i don't mind where it is now.

O, and w/could you make the passwords **** preferably?

cheers,
Marius