Song3 upgrade to A or BeATs

MiamiAngler

Song3 upgrade to A or BeATs
« on: 5 Mar 2019, 10:15 pm »
I’m patiently waiting on my Song3 speakers.  After reading everything I could find on the speakers I have start d thinking should I upgrade to a different version.   Can some of you enlighten me to why you upgraded or not?   I plan on keeping these speakers for a longtime, should I be content with the original version or move up?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2019, 02:00 pm by MiamiAngler »

birbygdad

Re: Song3 upgrade to A it BeAT
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2019, 05:10 am »
Well, I would never presume to influence you away from an upgrade because I have not heard any of those models. But I’ve listened to my Song3 pair for over a year and I can’t imagine needing to upgrade them. If my non-existent rich uncle left a big bucket of bucks on the porch I would likely feel the upgrade itch. But for the real life me the regular 3s cover the audible range and let me hear the music. One other thing I think about is that the 3s are so good that they reveal differences in my other components. Differences in CD players and phono carts are easily discernible. So I’ve got plenty of places to put spare money if and when it shows up. Anyhow, I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy whichever Song variant you choose. And talk to Jim.

DFpritchard

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2019, 05:29 pm »
I have the basic Song3s.  Delivered in August, listening to classical, old rock, folk, 'world' music, vocals.  The speakers have no shortcomings in my experience, great imaging and soundstage and excellent reproduction of voice.  I am using a Parasound Halo integrated and Emotiva ERC-3 with the Song3s.  Both components need to be upgraded to deliver what the Song3s are capable of in terms of musicality.  My next move will be to match up the Song3s with a tube integrated; thinking about the Prima Luna.  Maybe a high quality transport/DAC.  There is far more room for improvements to these two components than the Song3s. 

HT cOz

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2019, 11:04 am »
I would personally upgrade to the BeAT, otherwise you will forever wonder.

Brettio

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2019, 01:10 pm »

Can’t speak for everyone but I know this is the case with me, especially if these are speakers you plan to keep for a long time.

jd3

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2019, 02:17 pm »
I had the chance to audition the 3, the BeAT and the 3 Encore side by side at Jim's ship last year.  I ended up preferring the Encores and brought them home.  I don't think you'd go wrong with any version of the Song 3, and this is from someone who's owned a lot of Jim's speakers.

Grbluen

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2019, 02:17 pm »
@DFpritchard,
I have the same combo (parasound + song 3) and before you write off the system, try it with a really high quality vinyl source. Before this combination, I struggled with the whole digital v analog debate. No longer!  My vinyl front really shows what this Salk/ Parasound system can do! My $.02
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2019, 04:03 pm by Grbluen »

MiamiAngler

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2019, 10:51 pm »
.  Yeah that’s what’s in the back of my mind!

MiamiAngler

« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2019, 10:58 pm »
I had the chance to audition the 3, the BeAT and the 3 Encore side by side at Jim's ship last year.  I ended up preferring the Encores and brought them home.  I don't think you'd go wrong with any version of the Song 3, and this is from someone who's owned a lot of Jim's speakers.
. What was it about the encores that swayed you?

MiamiAngler

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2019, 11:04 pm »
I listen to jazz and soft rock mostly.   On source material I’m enjoying streaming from Amazon Music and Tidal.   I love being able to access any recording I want from my IPad and never get up.  I started listening to music in the early seventies and loved the sound of vinyl but hated the cracks and pops, got rid of all my vinyl over 20 years ago.   I sent an email to Jim regarding the differences couple weeks ago, guess I’ll follow up with a call.   
I appreciate all of your feedback.
MiamiAngler

Rocket

« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2019, 01:58 pm »
Hi,

The Accuton midrange is very very good.  If you need extra bass and have the money go for the Beat's.  Personally, the accuton's due to their excellent performance in the midrange is the speaker I would want.

Cheers Rod

jd3

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2019, 02:44 pm »
. What was it about the encores that swayed you?

The sound had more breadth and depth.  They filled the space better.  My wife was with me and she also preferred the Encores, though the BeAT's were close. 

Yomaha

« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2019, 07:55 pm »
How substantial would the bass improvement be going from Songtower RT to the BeAT's?  I have a larger room and am using a sub right now....but I'd love to get away from that subwoofer if possible.  I was thinking BeAt's or Encores.

MiamiAngler

« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2019, 10:15 pm »
I talked to Jim today and decided to go with the Song3 Beats.   Can’t wait to get them.
I said earlier that I had sent an email to Jim and was waiting on a response, turns out it was in my draft file.
Thanks for all the feedback.

jd3

« Reply #14 on: 9 Mar 2019, 12:25 am »
How substantial would the bass improvement be going from Songtower RT to the BeAT's?  I have a larger room and am using a sub right now....but I'd love to get away from that subwoofer if possible.  I was thinking BeAt's or Encores.
I’ve got Songtower RT’s in my HT setup.   According to Jim’s specs, Encores have an F3 of 25 hertz, BeAT’s are 33, and Songtower RT’s are 38.  My Encores put out a lot of bass, way more than the SongTowers.  I’ve had SS8’s and IMO the Encores have as much bass output as the SS8’s did, maybe more.  The SongTowers have always been one of my favorite speakers (I’m on my third pair) but I think the Song 3 series are the best all round speaker (and value) in Jim’s lineup. 

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2019, 02:45 am »
I talked to Jim today and decided to go with the Song3 Beats.   Can’t wait to get them.
I said earlier that I had sent an email to Jim and was waiting on a response, turns out it was in my draft file.
Thanks for all the feedback.

Congrats on moving up the line. I have base Song3’s and love them but I’ve also thought about moving up to the Beats. I’m curious to hear your thoughts once you get them and how significant an upgrade it is.

MiamiAngler

« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2019, 04:19 pm »
Congrats on moving up the line. I have base Song3’s and love them but I’ve also thought about moving up to the Beats. I’m curious to hear your thoughts once you get them and how significant an upgrade it is.
Actually I upgraded before ever receiving the Song3’s.   Hopefully this will be my last set of speakers

MiamiAngler

« Reply #17 on: 23 Mar 2019, 06:37 pm »
Speakers are heading South and are scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday, I’m so pumped!

maplemusic

« Reply #18 on: 23 Mar 2019, 10:05 pm »
WOW !!! That’s a quick turnaround for a change of order. Congratulations.

MiamiAngler

« Reply #19 on: 23 Mar 2019, 11:13 pm »
I was lucky, someone building Song3 BeATs decided to upgrade!