Pro-Ject genie (RM-1.3)

mk

Pro-Ject genie (RM-1.3)
« on: 3 Jun 2010, 06:37 pm »
I just bought a Sumiko turntable (http://www.musicdirect.com/product/86920).   Very nice.  I'm breaking it in and getting a baseline on how it sounds.  It's sitting on a maple board on Mapleshade cones on another maple board on Mapleshade Isoblocks on an Audiophilia DIY turntable stand (http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=3173). 

At some point though I think I may look into some of the Cone Grounding Bases HAL offers.  My question is about the motor, a separate unit from the plinth.  How can that be kept at the same relative height as the table when the table is lifted from the maple board by Herbie's Cone Grounding Bases?  Is it critical that the relative height remain the same?   

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Pro-Ject genie (RM-1.3)
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2010, 07:19 pm »
Just place grungebuster Dots under the motor assembly. If you stack a regular grungebuster Dot and an Extra-Thick grungebuster Dot together, they'll achieve the same height gain as small or regular Cone Grounding Bases will under the cone feet. We have lots of customers using grungebuster Dots under isolated turntable motors and motor assemblies.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 12:59 am by Herbie »

mk

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2010, 01:25 pm »
Last night I measured the motor housing; its diameter is about 3.5 inches.  All the "dots" are much smaller.  When I get around to this, I'll probably get a couple of grungebuster sheets.

Another question regarding this turntable.  Its felt mat is very thin.  I have a Way Excellent Mat  I bought for my ancient AR.  If I transfer the Way Excellent Mat to the Pro-Ject, do I need to fool with the Vertical Tracking Angle?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2010, 01:53 pm »
You can use three or four smaller Dots, or cut a larger circle from sheet. (You can also use a large grungebuster circle for a base and then place three or four smaller dots on the base to get the desired height.)

AR and Pro-Ject 1.3 turntables both use the same full-size Way Excellent 2mm mat. VTA is easy to adjust on the Pro-Ject but you shouldn't have to fool with it.