Rural Power Quality

mgalusha

Rural Power Quality
« on: 15 Aug 2006, 02:22 pm »
Just wondering if we have any AC members that live on the outskirts of the Denver area that have IREA for their electricity provider.

If so, does it seem any better or worse than the power coming off the Xcel grid in the metro area? I ask because the house we're buying is fed by IREA and when doing the inspection I noticed that the transformer is at the end of my property and looks to only be shared by us and 1 neighbor. I'm hoping for fairly clean power but of course I won't know until the system is set up in the new place.

I think I remember one AC member living in Elizabeth - Randall? Our new place is between Parker and Elizabeth and if anyone has any experience with this it would nice to know what I'm facing. :)

mike

Occam

Re: Rural Power Quality
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2006, 03:01 pm »
Mike,

If you're interested, I can lend you a OneAc LV103 'line viewer' isolation box. If you've access to an oscilloscope, the would provide you an isolation box and necessary cables to safely view both the common mode and differential noise on your mains.

Give me a PM if you're interested.

FWIW,
Paul

mgalusha

Re: Rural Power Quality
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2006, 04:45 pm »
Thanks for the offer Paul. I have an oscilloscope, so I'll take you up on that once I get into the new house. We close next week and move in on Friday.

My wife has agreed to let me have the dining room for a listening room until such time as I can get one built in the basement, so I'm hoping to have the system running within a few days of moving in. One must have priorities... :-)

Mike