Soothing music

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Soothing music
« on: 15 Oct 2009, 04:05 pm »
No,  I am not talking about muzak.

After a tiring day, you want to relax to music.  Let me offer you arguably the best music there is for this:  Cantatas.  I just picked this up and started to listen.  Fell asleep right away.  Just kidding.  :wink:  It's better than those mood music with sounds of nature.  You can look for those periodic single item coupon and get this for much less.  The thing is I have all these on records but CDs still are so much less trouble to play then records, especially when you are tired.

JohnR

Re: Soothing music
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2009, 08:00 am »
Fabulous looking set. I love the cantatas (cantate?) - I have a mixed set of recordings. Looking around, there seem to be two pressings, the other costing over twice of this one. I wonder how much shipping to AU would be...

no1maestro

Re: Soothing music
« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2009, 07:44 pm »
It certainly looks like a fine set. Whether it is the Cantatas or other Bach, there is a certain peace and mathematical soundness to listening. Bernstein had a term for it which he also used for Beethoven listening. He used the word inevitablity to describe that one musical thought followed another with a sense of "rightness". One can listen to Bach and almost predict where he is going from time to time; that makes it a peaceful experience. Not that he doesn't trip you up once in a while because that keeps it interesting but there is a certain sense of "rightness" as Lennie described it to listening to great composers.