Magnepan LRS

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Magnepan LRS
« on: 8 Jan 2022, 09:17 pm »
It's been a while since my LRS' showed up and they've kept me busy.
I was thinking they'd be like the MMGs but they're actually baby 1.7s so I really had to rethink things.
I decided the thing to do was to take a spare bedroom (which a semi-housebroken dog destroyed) and set them up there.
That entailed a thorough cleaning with a paint respirator and goggles, staining the floor, painting the baseboards, wall and ceiling and buying a rug.
Once that was done, I snagged a cabinet and some furnishings off of Facebook Marketplace and the room was still too lively, clap your hands and you can hear the reverberations.
That meant getting sticker shock at Home Depot when I bought some shelving to put up some books and I have a lot of Stetson, Dobbs and Knox hats.  Those should work out okay to break up reflections and what not plus it'll free up some closet space...
Did it?  Yes.  I just have to look out for moths, they feast on hats.

I tried a bunch of different combinations with these speakers and the components which made the cut are a Carver 275 tube amp, a deHavilland UltraVerve3 preamp, a Rega Apollo-R CD player and a REL T1 subwoofer.
The sub is probably a bit big for this room so it took a few days to get it dialed in right but I'm sure glad I got it!
I will be replacing the SVS subs in the other systems with RELs.

The Carver was driving me crazy until I replaced the small tubes with Sylvanias and the deHavilland uses Sylvania throughout.
The Carver will play loud enough to drive you out of the room.  I keep thinking I need a more powerful amp for dynamics but I'm not so sure. 
I understand Bob Carver was listening to an old Marantz tube amp and that's what he was shooting for, it's a very tonally seductive amp,  there's no listening fatigue whatsoever.  I'm told he kept the same sonic signature throughout his line of tube amps.

For the speakers, I upgraded the cables from Kimber 8TC to 12TC as they give you more of everything (they're really good) and to get these little weasels off of the floor, I went with the Magnariser Mk 7 MultiRiser.

Looking at their web site I thought they might be getting a bit carried away as it's just a bunch of metal to get them up off the ground.
When the box showed, I was really struck by the care they put into the packaging.  Normally, that's something I don't notice but it was like something that comes out of a gift shop when you ask them to wrap something for you.
For putting them on, I'd suggest starting the top screw first and then doing the bottom one, that should make it a bit easier.

As for what they did, it's more than just getting them up off of the ground, I could have used a box for that.
I actually tried a box at one point.
The improvement in the sound over using the stock little feet was not subtle: everything just became more solid if that makes any sense.
Picture a motorcycle that came with fairly crappy shocks.  You hit a bump and the back end goes THUD! and that's just the way it is.
The shocks degrade over the years and eventually they stop going THUD!, they go BOING! and you pogo stick your way over bumps and wallow around the corners.
One day you have enough of that and buy some decent shocks and you hit the same bump, the wheel goes up and down smoothly and it tracks perfectly around the corner.
So, THAT'S how it's supposed to be!

That's what the Magnarisers do the speakers.
The 1.7s and 3.7s here will wind up getting some, they're well worth doing.

And finally, the all important listening spot. 

These cheap little speakers turned out to be a rather expensive undertaking.
It made me realize that with most manufacturers the speakers are the expensive part.  Budget the money for the speakers.
With Magnepans the speakers are the cheap part.  Budget the money for everything else.  They're giving you a good enough product but you have to pick gear that's commensurate with their capabilities.  Whatever isn't quite up to snuff is going to stick out like a sore thumb but when it all comes together it's worth it!

« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2022, 01:47 am by SteveFord »

Philip J Fry

Re: Magnepan LRS
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2022, 09:28 pm »
Thanks for the great info.

How long did it take to get your LRS?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2022, 09:32 pm »
I think it was a little over 4 months, maybe a bit longer.
While I was waiting I purchased a second set of used 1.7s and tried them in that room with no success.
They just were way too big, they sounded terrible in there.

Craig B

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2022, 09:36 pm »
Looks like if you sat down too quickly or carelessly you could crack your noggin a good one on the bottom shelf!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2022, 09:36 pm »
Steve, you summed up Magnepans perfectly.  Many people give up on them because they don't have the right electronics, room and cables.  If you buy a pair, be prepared to change some gear.

Nice set up!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2022, 09:37 pm »
The shelf isn't a problem (that seat cushion in the back is really bellied out) but I HAVE walked into the corner of the cabinet.
I'm going to try not to do that again!
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2022, 11:59 pm by SteveFord »

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2022, 10:38 pm »
Steve,
Great write up, thanks.
How do you like your LRS in comparison to your 1.7s?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2022, 11:03 pm »
I think the LRS is more analytical which is why it was so hard to get set up to my liking:  Sonic Frontiers?  No.  Conrad Johnson?  No, you get the idea.
It's also really room dependent, the LRS would probably sound out of place upstairs as the room is so much larger than this spare bedroom.
I have no experience with the .7s so I can't say how they would work there, they may be too large for that small room.

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2022, 12:06 am »
I totally agree with your Magnariser statement, I purchased them a few months ago, they really helped dial in the Magnepan 1.7is.  Have you considered the DWM woofer modules?   I use 2 of them, bought them when I was using MMGs.  They won't move your pants leg like a JBL or Cerwin Vega.  They will add more definition to the 40 to 200hz bass range.  Only problem is one of them costs as much or more as the LRS speakers.  For me, it was worth it.  Thank you for a very informative review.
Jerry

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2022, 01:28 am »
Nice writeup.  :)

Fortunately, I didn’t feel the need for any equipment changes with my LRS.  I did upgrade the stands with Magna Risers Airborne; definitely a recommended upgrade.  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2022, 11:01 am »
I don't know if I have room for DWMs in there, I have a hard enough time not killing myself getting in and out of that room.
I would like to add a turntable, maybe an Amadeus with a conrad-johnson EV-1 phono preamp, I think that would work out pretty well.

Getting back to the DWMs, a Mini Maggie system may be in my future to put some spare gear to use.
Hate to see perfectly good components just sit there...

Two final notes:
I got curious this morning and hooked up the little LRS speakers to a pair of VTL 300 deLuxe monoblocks and a conrad-johnson CT-5 preamp. 
The Carver 275 amp drives them equally well, the speakers are simply too small for massive dynamics.

Also ordered some Magnarisers for the 3.7s.
I did say they made a noticeable improvement...
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2022, 03:43 pm by SteveFord »

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2022, 09:16 pm »
I don't know if I have room for DWMs in there, I have a hard enough time not killing myself getting in and out of that room.
I would like to add a turntable, maybe an Amadeus with a conrad-johnson EV-1 phono preamp, I think that would work out pretty well.

Getting back to the DWMs, a Mini Maggie system may be in my future to put some spare gear to use.
Hate to see perfectly good components just sit there...

Two final notes:
I got curious this morning and hooked up the little LRS speakers to a pair of VTL 300 deLuxe monoblocks and a conrad-johnson CT-5 preamp. 
The Carver 275 amp drives them equally well, the speakers are simply too small for massive dynamics.

Also ordered some Magnarisers for the 3.7s.
I did say they made a noticeable improvement...

I’m curious if you notice as much improvement with Magnarisers on the 3.7 as on the LRS since on the 3.7 there isn’t as much change in position compared to the LRS.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2022, 10:18 pm »
I'll post my impressions in about 8 weeks or so.
I'm told it will firm up or solidify the bass so we'll see.

I keep thinking I'm done with that system but then I keep coming up with fresh ideas.
Where's that winning Lottery ticket when I need it?

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2022, 11:39 pm »
I'll post my impressions in about 8 weeks or so.
I'm told it will firm up or solidify the bass so we'll see.

I keep thinking I'm done with that system but then I keep coming up with fresh ideas.
Where's that winning Lottery ticket when I need it?

At least Magnarisers are a relatively cheap tweek and they look great.  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2022, 07:12 pm »
Finished up this small bedroom system and I finally wound up with:

LRS speakers on Magnarisers with Kimber 12TC speaker cables
VTL ST-85 amplifier
Conrad-Johnson Premier 17LS preamplifier
Rega Apollo-R CD player
REL T-1 subwoofer
with a Conrad-Johnson MF-2275 solid state amp being held in reserve for the dog days of Summer.

Saturn94

« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2022, 08:38 pm »
Finished up this small bedroom system and I finally wound up with:

LRS speakers on Magnarisers with Kimber 12TC speaker cables
VTL ST-85 amplifier
Conrad-Johnson Premier 17LS preamplifier
Rega Apollo-R CD player
REL T-1 subwoofer
with a Conrad-Johnson MF-2275 solid state amp being held in reserve for the dog days of Summer.

Nice!  :thumb: