Fern and Roby Raven II

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Fern and Roby Raven II
« on: 19 Oct 2021, 12:37 am »
Slightly smaller versions of the Raven, will fit longitudinally on a bookshelf.  They're closed as well, not ported like the bigger Ravens.

Would I go to audiophile hell to put them on their little kickback stands on my rather wide desk, with the speaker at the bottom and the rest of the speaker facing up and back?

Seems to me if the guys at F/R feel good about putting them on a shelf surrounded by books, on its side, then inverting it is the least of my concerns.

Why would I do this?  Two very young kids and three clumsy dogs, don't want to destroy the whizzer cone the first week of ownership.

Thanks in advance for this possibly dumb, certainly esoteric question!

Matthew

RDavidson

Re: Fern and Roby Raven II
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2021, 04:32 am »
Pretty sure if you buy them you're allowed to do whatever you want. :lol:

Speakers on a desktop are almost never ideal. The issue is proximity to the desk's surface and dealing with hard reflections. You want the drivers to be away from the desk's reflective top surface. Your best chance of getting the most out of them is to raise them up to ear height and have padding on the desk to absorb reflections. Based on the dimensions of the speakers, the center of the driver is somewhere around 18" from the top of the cabinet when standing them up (not on stands). As such I think what may work pretty well is if you simply stand them up and don't use the stands, for desk placement. Maybe some very slight tilt back with some felt pads, footers, or something along those lines to fine tune the driver position would help too. I believe the tilt-back stands are intended for use when the speakers are sitting on the floor or near the floor (as shown on their website). Setting them up the way you're thinking, on a desk, would be almost the worst configuration. The issue is the drivers being so close to the desktop. Without some significant sound absorbing materials on your desk, I would expect reflections to be really really bad...and you will feel your feet begin to burn.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Fern and Roby Raven II
« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2021, 05:16 pm »

Looks to be a rectangular box with SEAS exotic 8” FR in it. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-fullrange/seas-exotic-x1-08-f8-8-ohm-8-full-range-driver/

Given the price of the drivers, the reatil isn’t bad, but one could diy something better based on the same driver for $2k or so.

dave