Powering up/down the Stratos/Tempest

dawkimi

« on: 21 Nov 2003, 04:50 am »
I should receive my Tempest/Stratos combo in a couple of weeks.  I am currently using a Sony 7700 as a transport, Scott Nixon Tubedac, Musical Fidelity A300 integrated amp and Magnepan MG12 (modified) speakers.  What is the correct order for "powering up" my system when my new toys arrive.  Klaus recommends that I leave both the Tempest and Stratos on all the time after turning them on intially (unless I will be out of town for an extended period, lightning in the area, etc.).  If I do have to "power down" do I simply reverse the "power up" procedure.  I would greatly appreciate any feedback concerning this issue.  Thanks for your time and assistance.

Mike

Val

« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2003, 01:20 pm »
As a general rule, turn-on: preamp (wait for stabilization if needed, like in tube preamps); amp (same); sources. Turn-off: sources, amp, preamp. I never had any turn-on or turn-off problems with the rock-solid Odysseys.

I unplug all my components when not in use because I believe that whatever gains there are in warm-up time and better sound aren't worth the potential damage caused by electricity surges, which are unpredictable. I used to leave solid-state components on, but had problems twice with surges that burned the internal fuses in my Stratos; a Monster Cable 2000 power strip didn't help at all. It didn't help the Stratos sound either, but that's another story.

MarkgM

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2003, 04:19 pm »
Down the line just like it's connected; sources, pre, amp.  Power down in reverse; amp, pre, sources.  You can generate a surge from upstream down, so leave downstream off until the initial contact passes.  Generally these contact surges are very small, but they will still make obnoxious popping sounds.  IMHO the real danger here to consider is when the volume knob is left wayyyy up - it can scare the crap out of you  :o

Val, what's up with your electricity?  Are these electrical storms, power company brown outs, or do you think it's your house wiring?  With the crappy house wiring I contend with, light bulbs go regularly.  But I haven't blown a fuse in an audio component yet.  Do you go through many light bulbs?

Val

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2003, 07:53 pm »
It's Florida Power and Light, they stink.

MarkgM

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2003, 12:51 am »
I'm in NC - Carolina P&L merged with Florida P&L.  We have lot's of brown outs here.  But the wiring in this house causes light bulbs to burn out quickly, with their little bitty filaments.

central Florida is the "Lightning Capital" of the United States.  

Fuses and fused things can still blow, even when protected, because high voltage moves too fast (a little slips through before protection kicks in).
Still curious if you have to replace light bulbs often.  They should last for years.
Ever see a breaker pop?

Val

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2003, 11:50 pm »
No, I don't have any of those problems, just surges and very short blackouts once in a while, but you're right, this is the lightning capital.